Do you like pixel art?

Deleted member 568892

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only like pixel art in games where hardware limitations make it necessary. I see it as using nostalgia to justify a cheap design decision. If a game is good overall like Shovel Knight I'll play it anyway but the art style lowers my overall opinion of the game.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I love pixel art, but I feel the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gens of Pokemon games used them as a cop-out of laziness. The GBA and DS had PLENTY of polygon power to render the Pokemon battles in full 3D like the 3DS did. I'll give the GBA a pass, but I've seen it's polygon pushing capabilities, and it's an impressive and capable little machine. But as for the DS, it was engineered with 3D games in mind, and only used that 3D space in the overworld. The battles were still like Mode-7 style, and the only excuse for that is laziness. 3D models don't take up hardly any space as they're essentially text files with plot data in them for x, y, and z. The textures could have been simple and taken advantage of gouraud shading like the PS1 and N64 did, to save resources. But no... They gave is shitty sprite work instead. At least Gen 5 animated the sprites I guess, but it was still lame overall.

Reactions: SAIYAN48
D

Deleted member 568048

Yes Pixels FUCKING RULE compared to soulless 3-zoomer-D models

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are quite a few indie games out there that use pixel-art to create beautiful environments. Mainly games like FEZ, Hyper Light Drifter.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Pixel art is lovely, but depending on usage it can feel very forced. It's not even about the old vs new aspect - some new games pull it off very nicely while others just seems eh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...