Do you like games with more or less additional features?

nobody123456789

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer games with less additional features which focus on the core game.

The best example I can provide here is Fire Emblem. I don't want to spend hours doing tasks around the monastery to build and train my team. I'm fine with the 3DS entries having additional features (minus the creepy rub your party members minigame) because they didn't go too far.

Assassins Creed 4 has lots of crafting and raiding but in this case you can skip most of it and still be strong enough to complete the game.

Completely optional modes like boss rush in Metroid Dread and time trials in Mario Kart are a good thing.

moetheloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on if those additional features add some extra, more useful or enjoyable functionality to the core loop, but isn't required to utilize. I dont really have many examples but as long as its not just feature creep or monotanous, im fine with a few more features.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Depends on the game, really. A few examples I'm playing right now...
Dead cells gets you more cells and stuff to unlock for stuff roughly every run you do. Even though you can only have four weapons total, i just want to collect stuff all the time.
Antichamber has zero optional things (just a handful of tools you'll get through the game), but it's good to play regardless

Both games are roughly in my top 20 best games ever.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
absolutely yees
"Yes" to what? Less or more additional features?
For me it's depending on the game, if it's shoehorned in and is a slog to get through and simply not fun/enjoyable, it would impact my experience.. Though if it can be skipped, has no bearing on the story/events etc. no harm is done..

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
HIGHLY depends on the game.
I know games that have incredible tedious grinds, some of them are outrageous when it comes to spending time to get certain cheevies.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
For a good Formula 1 Game (the "older" Seasons preferable..) there could be not enough Options and Settings and Features.

But for me it might have something to do with Age.
I remember playing the first original "The Sims" with all the Add-ons.
I would have liked to have had more, more, more Features....

Today,I hate such Games,they overwhelm and over"run" me with Features and Stuff...it's all just too much Features for me these Days...

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games have static missions and then a bunch of collectables or other useless crap that have no bearing on the main part of the game, and each are compartmentalized as their own little things that you play through once and forget. This can work out, depending on certain things, but generally if you play a game like this once, there's no reason to ever play it again since you've already gotten the intended experience.

On the other hand, some games put too much of the core in the extra stuff as a way of leaving it to the player to make the game fun somehow. I don't think that's very good, either, since these kinds of games tend to not have any point or goal.

I think the best games are the ones where the additional features are just your different routes to the end point. You can play games like this many times and get a new experience each time, but without it feeling pointless like the usual open world, do anything type games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on