Do we really need any these USB Loaders?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LxTrix, Apr 27, 2009.

Apr 27, 2009
  1. LxTrix
    OP

Member LxTrix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    We have so many now and really most of them only add looks. We have that covered along with a few little features. SO really don't bother making any more. How about something else now?

Really all these threads should be swept up and put together.

2. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I agree that many loaders that are hardly used are pretty pointless now, but the ones that are used are very worthwhile. A lot of progress is being made in regards to themes and even features. The goal by the end is to have the loaders be able to download cover and disc art for you. So yeah the loaders are needed.

3. RedHero

Member RedHero GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I'm currently using the USBloader with a Wii Channel for it. Shame I can't download covers through the program, though I can install games from the Wii with it.

I'll be replacing it as soon as I notice a channel is out for a USBloader with a few more features.

4. houseonfire

Member houseonfire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    We don't need all these USB loaders because I have no idea where to start or which one to use..

5. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    instead of using a channel USB loader why not just use a USB loader Forwarder channel. it accesses your USB loader off the sd card so you can download covers and have all the nice features while still accessing it from the Wii menu.

But back on topic, yes i agree theirs tons of them now but hard to tell people to stop making them if they can, you will never know what someone will come up with [​IMG]

6. Kekkon

Member Kekkon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well if your like me and use an SD card for the loader you can't use a forwarder channel, unless you could partition it off and the Wii could still detect the regular data portion, but that's a waste of space you could need for games.

7. kylsav

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good point forgot the new loaders can use the sd card slot [​IMG]

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I still use my toy(look at my sig). It has all features i need(language patching and video mode selection + patching) and doesn't have anything graphical, it's only purpose is to just start games. Oh, it requires Kwiirk's usb cIOS(IOS222) instead of Waninkoko's cIOS.

9. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it's not that hard to choose 1 and stick with it. i chose ultimate v7

10. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    To be honest , my ultimate USB loader is one that :

1. Doesnt require an SD card to load and can be run from a wad install
    2. Auto downloads the boxart from http://www.theotherzone.com/wii/ (discart doesnt bother me)
    3. Stores the games on the USB drive instead of the SD card after downloading like sorgs new one
    3. Has a nice graphic interface or coverflow system like the one Don Killah and CdDreams are working on.

These options have all been done in different loaders but havent been combined in once loader as yet
    The closest i see is Don Killahs one wtih the excellent graphics of Cddreams making it look even better.

If they can get the loader to save the games onto the HD like 0.61 of sorgs ill be using that from now on and making a wad for it myself.

In short i think yes we still need all of these loaders as they are developing new features in different directions and giving each other ideas as they go.

11. feidhlim1986

Member feidhlim1986 GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    I only use the standard Waninkoko Loader from HBC, cos I make Channels for all my games anywho.

12. OuahOuah

Member OuahOuah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Many people = many loader.
    I'd like a loader which does this and that and so...
    Don't want choice ?
    Ok, let's kill Linux and Mac OS and we use only one system.
    And one brand car.
    Etc...

Life is choice, buy a brain if you can't make your choice [​IMG]

13. RedHero

Member RedHero GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I use my SDcard for my DS. With a forwarder channel I need the SDcard in the Wii... which is why I want a channel and not a forwarder channel.

14. wiistarter

Member wiistarter GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I agree that a few are really only concentrating on looks rather than features. If we could have a combined USB loader/Media player that could read both FAT and WBFS (I think Sorg's Uniloader can do this now) and play Wii games and also double as a media centre to play files from the fat partition then that would be excellent. Another feature might be the ability too read different WBFS partitions on the same drive so you could store the kids favs on one and then they dont mess with mine.

Im not one for the whole Boxart thing as I dont spend that much time staring at a pretty picture of a game cover (Although I realise that this MIGHT be usefull for small children) and would rather just load the game and play it.

15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i don't use usb loader at all, i will stick with normal dvds for now.

16. wiiNinja

Member wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The question is: "Do we really need any of these USB Loaders?"

Do you play games from the USB drive? If so, you will need at least one. Take your pick. If not, do what "jalaneme" is doing: stick with DVDs.

17. LxTrix
    OP

Member LxTrix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

I like how some gave personal insight. I expected one response to be like the one above. Yes everyone likes variety and yes there is competition. The fact is though to many people seem to be focusing on looks of the usb laaders. Move on we want features and if there aren't any more to be had start working on something else. If your loader is about looks it has been done, keep walking. Some may choose to use it but something better is there and those of us who notice it will use that instead.

18. oneleggedjack

Member oneleggedjack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i like the new USB Iso Loader GUI by dimok,nIxxx,cyrex et al [​IMG]
    i installed the dol using preloader, and now every time my wii boots up it's the USBLoader!
    even when i'm in-game, I hit home and go back to the wii menu, and it takes me right back to the loader!

plus you can save game specific settings.... very nice

19. rpgguy_1o1

Newcomer rpgguy_1o1 Member

Canada

I've been looking for a loader that will also play media. Which media player is integrated into Sorg's release? I can't seem to get Mplayer to read my partition, but geexbox is able to.