Hardware Do not buy any surface from microsoft

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The drivers and stability are terrible, touch works worse on win 10 than on win 8.1, the docking station does not work at all, constant freezing, bad physical and wifi connection, bad battery from type cover. Just some third party will do. DO NOT TRUST MICROSOFT.

Incolbum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who uses a surface RT (oh yeah, top tier cancer.) I've have no problems with surface tabs so far. Then again, I almost exclusively use it for schoolwork.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was never intending to buy one. Windows was never made for ARM and Windows RT is seriously garbage because of that.
I would buy one just to install Linux on it for the lol's, but it's not worth even doing that with.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was never intending to buy one. Windows was never made for ARM and Windows RT is seriously garbage because of that.
I would buy one just to install Linux on it for the lol's, but it's not worth even doing that with.

Are you all talking about a Surface, Surface Pro or Surface Book?

Because those are three very different things there...

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Are you all talking about a Surface, Surface Pro or Surface Book?

Because those are three very different things there...
I am guessing this thread is about the ARM based Surface, but I could be wrong. Either way, I am talking about Surface with the ARM-Based CPU.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am guessing this thread is about the ARM based Surface, but I could be wrong. Either way, I am talking about Surface with the ARM-Based CPU.
No, it is x86 based x7-z8700. Touch on win 10 is simply terrible and win 10 apps failed to recognize touch, while any internal frame in the browser simply won't stay since it does not simulates a mouse cursor. The stability is terrible with constant freezing and crashes, and the sd card reader work only half of the time (the latest driver was released in July, before the offical launch of win 10 and intel does not even recognize their new processor). The battery life is significantly smaller with the touch cover and the touch pad is too slippy and often cause false execution. I heard it is a lot better on win 8.1 (most comfortable and stable) but microsoft refused to give me a free copy.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, it is x86 based x7-z8700. Touch on win 10 is simply terrible and win 10 apps failed to recognize touch, while any internal frame in the browser simply won't stay since it does not simulates a mouse cursor. The stability is terrible with constant freezing and crashes, and the sd card reader work only half of the time (the latest driver was released in July, before the offical launch of win 10 and intel does not even recognize their new processor). The battery life is significantly smaller with the touch cover and the touch pad is too slippy and often cause false execution. I heard it is a lot better on win 8.1 (most comfortable and stable) but microsoft refused to give me a free copy.
I was incorrect, fair enough.
Have you tried a clean install to see if you can just set everything up yourself and fix some of those issues?

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was incorrect, fair enough.
Have you tried a clean install to see if you can just set everything up yourself and fix some of those issues?
No, the problem came from the drivers and os. That means microsoft/ intel is responsible, like what happened with surface pro 4/ surface book instability. This is what I get for trusting Microsoft I guess.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So you're talking about a Surface 3 then, correct?
Yes, but os design is universal and other surface's drivers are just as bad, considering the screen flckering and short battery life on surface pro 4/ surface book.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just not worth the cash, simply put.
The problem is that pixel c and ipad pro are even worse.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, no it is not.
In this case, yes. In win 8.1 touch is interpreted as mouse cursor which is removed in 10 such that in win 10 touch will not be recognized properly. Say you want to open gbatemp's quick menu you have to move your mouse there. For pc just move your mouse there. For ipad you can tap once which simulated the mouse hanging in the position and keep the menu open instead of clicking. When I was playing a win 10 game, tapping simply won't work and I have to use to stylus which is very annoying. Also it cannot access internal frame of a web page (like the left bar quick menu for youtube) for the same reason.
Drivers from intel are terribly out dated as they are designed for win 8.1, which did not really work for win 10, and connectivity is even worse. Perhaps installing ubantu on a second drive will make things better.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Running Surface Pro 1 in Windows 10. Took a month after launch to get updated drivers designed for W10 but now it's working flawlessly.

Makes me wonder what might have gone wrong with your update. Maybe you didn't clean install the drivers? (I.e. Remove drivers, shut down, install new drivers).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water