Do I need to format sdhc?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by zygirl, Oct 11, 2013.

1. zygirl
    OP

zygirl Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2011
    Canada
    Hi Guys,

I bought a new 16GB sdhc for my new 3DSXL, the manual seemed to say I could just pop it into the system.

I did; and the system recognized it. This was last week. The blocks are showing up and I haven't seen any issues - however I seem to be reading in various places that I should have formatted it first.

Do I need to take it out and format it; or is it fine?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Theconejo

Theconejo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    United States
    I think people might recommend the formatting to make sure the data is being written on a solid base layer. The cards should be fine but as an extra precaution I guess.

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    No, you don't need to.

4. zygirl
    OP

zygirl Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2011
    Canada
    Let me rephrase - SHOULD I format it then?

Seems as though most people recommend just formatting the larger cards (32gbs+) and this is only a 16gb.

So what's the verdict - should I?

Just a note; it's a sandisk card.

5. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i reformat everything with the panasonic sd formatter, because it was coded as a solution for properly setting up sd cards. in theory you'll get better performance and life out of the card if you format it correctly.

-another world

6. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    Yeah you should format before use, i normally do except for one occasion, & it wasn't too long before i had to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice