Do I need to format sdhc?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by zygirl, Oct 11, 2013.

1. zygirl
    OP

zygirl Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2011
    Canada
    Hi Guys,

I bought a new 16GB sdhc for my new 3DSXL, the manual seemed to say I could just pop it into the system.

I did; and the system recognized it. This was last week. The blocks are showing up and I haven't seen any issues - however I seem to be reading in various places that I should have formatted it first.

Do I need to take it out and format it; or is it fine?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Theconejo

Theconejo GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    United States
    I think people might recommend the formatting to make sure the data is being written on a solid base layer. The cards should be fine but as an extra precaution I guess.

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    No, you don't need to.

4. zygirl
    OP

zygirl Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2011
    Canada
    Let me rephrase - SHOULD I format it then?

Seems as though most people recommend just formatting the larger cards (32gbs+) and this is only a 16gb.

So what's the verdict - should I?

Just a note; it's a sandisk card.

5. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i reformat everything with the panasonic sd formatter, because it was coded as a solution for properly setting up sd cards. in theory you'll get better performance and life out of the card if you format it correctly.

-another world

6. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    Yeah you should format before use, i normally do except for one occasion, & it wasn't too long before i had to.