do i have a virus?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Painguy, Jun 24, 2010.

Jun 24, 2010

do i have a virus? by Painguy at 7:20 AM (803 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Painguy
    OP

Member Painguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recently noticed that rarlabs isnt working for me anymore even though other sites have verified that their server is still up. I tried changing my DNS twice, but still no luck. I have a 20mb download speed so idk why this is happening. I also cant load up some pictures from places like imgur. Is something just wrong on my side or do i have a virus? I havent gotten a virus in 3 years sooo idk what to do.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    What did you try changing your DNS to?
    Tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (google's DNS)?
    Tried another browser?

3. Painguy
    OP

United States
    i tried 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and yeah i tried Opera, Firefox, and Explorer. I also just tried the google DNS (thx btw) and it still seems not to work. Im going to wait till tmrw, and if it doesnt load up im probably gonna have to reformat [​IMG] Does it work for you?

4. D34DL1N3R

Member D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    Tried power cycling your modem/router? Using your ISP's DNS servers? Open DNS? Disabled firewall(s)? Disabled A/V? Manually setting your IP?

5. Rydian

United States
    Yes, it works for me.

Woah, don't format just yet, there's other steps to try.

Download the knoppix livecd ISO.
    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPP...10-01-31-EN.iso

Use some CD burning program that can burn iso images to disc as a disc image (like Free ISO Burner), simply burning that file onto a disc as a single file will not work.

Generally in the program, you'd go to "file" and "open disc image" or "open image" or something and point it to the .iso and it takes care of the rest.

Since it's an OS CD, I suggest burning it at a rather slow speed, like 2x or 4x or 8x, just to make sure there's no errors during burning. Just go read a book or something while it's burning.

When it's done, restart your computer and boot from that CD.

Then wait for knoppix to startup. You'll get some sort of interface sort of similar to windows, and hopefully you can browse the internet from that CD.

See if rarlabs works.

To get back to windows, just tell knoppix to shutdown, and it'll go through a small shutdown sequence, eject the CD, and tell you to take it out. Then you can restart your computer like normal.

If it doesn't work, check your router's settings to see if a DNS server has been set there (though I don't know if that'd override the computer-set one).

6. Painguy
    OP

United States
    i just tested the site out on my ubuntu and OSX partition and it also doesnt work. Im assuming at this point that my network configuration is incorrect (even though i havent changed anything since 3 days ago) or its being caused by my ISP. Ill try the knoppix thing aswell and disabling my A/V and firewall. thx guys

7. Rydian

United States
    Actually don't bother with knoppix if you already had another OS to try (most people don't), I suggest checking if the router's got another DNS server set...

Or maybe the site's giving packets too large for your specific router to handle? It's really rare, but I have seen it twice.

8. Painguy
    OP

United States
    hmmm that is a possibility, but i highly doubt it. This router of mine was actually pretty expensive and is only a year old. I think ill give my ISP a call tommorow [​IMG] oh well. thx guys rly appreciate ur help.

9. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Likely a routing issue between your isp and the site in question. You could try doing a tracert in command prompt to the site to determine where the problem is.