Do I absolutely have to have this?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bubbysaur, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Bubbysaur
    OP

Bubbysaur u cnt hindle mai sweg

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    Do I absolutely have to have a flashcart of some kind in order to play 3ds game roms? Or is there a way to play them without a flashcart on a super early firmware?

I'm asking because I am about to buy both a 4.5 firmware xl and gateway and wanted to know if I need the gateway cart at all.

2. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Nope. You can just use CFW like rxTools.

3. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    no needs for flashcard:lol:

4. Bidoofguy

Bidoofguy Custom Title:

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2009
    You don't need a gateway at all, and you don't need 4.5 firmware, either. As long as your 3DS is firmware 9.2 or lower, you're good.

5. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    The flashcard primarily provides one key advantage over CFW: convenience. CIA installs can take a while depending on the size of the game, whereas a flashcard can load up a .3DS file in seconds.

EDIT: Having a flashcard can also effectively double your storage space. I have all of the games that I play frequently installed as CIAs, whereas games that I might not play more than a single playthrough of are put on the microSD of the Gateway.

Last edited by zhdarkstar, Aug 9, 2015
    Zidapi and loco365 like this.
  6. Bubbysaur
    OP

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    And utilizing rxTools or any other firmware will (for the moment, potentially always) help me circumvent the whole Sky3ds flashcart being blocked fiasco currently going on, right?

7. henn64

henn64 I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    The Great White South
    CFW is always the more complicated method, but +1 anyway for lack of a price tag.
    Unless you brick it :tpi:

8. Bubbysaur
    OP

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    I used to run CFW on my PSP back in the day. Hopefully it's not anymore confusing then that! :3

9. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    It's a run every time thing. Doesn't start at cold boot.

10. zhdarkstar

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    GW 3.4 just came out which circumvented it as well.

11. Bubbysaur
    OP

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    So basically, everytime I want to run the CFW, I need to constantly boot up my Cubic Ninja Rom or Card(I have both ._.) and then do what I want every single time I want to do something?

I kind of do that now with a Japanese game I have on my current N3ds with Ninjahax 2.0 and the rxTools set up thread doesn't look even remotely confusing. It's well written!

12. MassExplosion213

MassExplosion213 .

Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Is it an o3ds or a n3ds?

EDIT: Nvm. 4.5. Duh.

13. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    As someone who owns a gateway and uses rxTools, i posted this in another thread and didn't get a bite from the free-games-anti-DRM-CFW brigade. Any biters in this thread? :)

14. zhdarkstar

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Jao Chu, I'm also a GW/rxTools user, but my use actually shifted in the other direction once I realized that rxTools is a far better Classic mode than GW's Classic mode. Then again, I also have 32 GB (micro)SD cards in both the 3DS and GW, so games that I play frequently get installed to the SD card instead of taking up space in my GW's microSD. Add in the fact that keeping the red card out of the 3DS unless I need to play something not installed as a .CIA has extended my battery life by a significant margin. I use Sudokuhax to switch ROPs without having to keep a DS flashcard on hand, which is something that I recommend the OP install regardless of decision, as running DSiWare will result in the MSET exploit resetting. I also like the more intuitive design of the rxTools menu than the GW menu, in terms of options. Instead of having to hold a combination of buttons to boot in a patched sysnand, rxTools has it clearly listed as a menu item.

I think that it's all about what you plan to do with your 3DS. I didn't have a DSi, so having access to DSiWare gives me incentive to use rxTools as my default ROP over GW Mode.

As for the .3DS to .CIA conversion process, a lot of the games can be easily found in .CIA format on "that ISO site." That pretty much makes that a moot point. Although I do agree about the length of time with .CIA installations. That's why I pretty much limit my .CIA installs to games that either will be played frequently (SSB4, Fantasy Life) or 3DSWare/DSiWare/GBA games, the latter of which are typically much smaller than most .3DS files.

15. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Because obvious troll is obvious, and t-fucking-l;dr?

Now, piss off back to your bridge please.

16. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Actually, I have to agree with what you said there. That's the one reason I'm using a Gateway is that launching is infinitely faster - Installing CIAs takes ages, whereas using a flashcard is as easy as dropping on the MicroSD, putting it in your system, going into Gateway mode, and launching your game. No need to wait for installation or anything. Sure you toss out a pile of money, but it's in the time savings that you'll make it up. Waiting for a CIA to install is like watching paint dry sometimes.

17. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Umm? OK? Make sure you keep sticking it to the man, Zidapi! Show that big corporate DRM machine that you will pay pirated games for free!!!!!

Thank you :)

18. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    No. If you use RXTools, you have to launch it from the web browser every time. Much faster than doing the ds profile method.

19. Bubbysaur
    OP

Jul 21, 2015
    United States
    That is great! I really didn't want to carry cubic ninja everywhere I went. Thanks :3

20. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    Butthurt confirmed LEL KEK xD XD