DivX, XviD, Codecs and WildWon

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by WildWon, Oct 13, 2008.

Oct 13, 2008
  1. WildWon
    OP

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Alright guys,

So i've been messing around with computers for 20 years now, and i've had my time of knowing what the fuck i'm talking about, but, as is with anyone that gets older, i'm needing help with something probably very simple.

Years back, when i first started effing around with codecs, there were simple packages of what was needed. I got a package, installed it, and i've had no problems over the years.

Now a friend has a new computer (well, used from another friend) and i want to get the proper codecs for him. I have done a few searches and i've found that there are tons of packs available, but the only problem is that a lot of them are bloated to shit and back with all kinds of useless programs and other little things that i don't think he'll need.

Could someone give me a listing of the most basic codecs to find? Or maybe just point me in the right direction of the smallest package to pick up? He just wants to be able to use WMP and he's not one for doing much else. So i'm not needing converters, players, editors, or debug programs. Just the most basic of the codecs that will allow him to watch a majority of whatever it is he wants to watch.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. jHoNDoE

Newcomer jHoNDoE Member

United States
  3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    CCCP is designed just for this (I too have similar requirements for various machines and I use this instead of making my own custom package) but it tends to eschew windows media player in favour of something good.
    http://www.cccp-project.net/

However you can set it to not change the player, just do not be surprised when WMP falls over with something slightly out of the norm.

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
  5. WildWon
    OP

United States
    Ah great, thanks guys! The k-lite pack was one i used years back, didn't know if that was still a decent name or not. I am trying to go REALLY basic for him. He is NOT technically inclined by any means, so i'll be sticking with WMP, unless he has something pop up as a problem. Only then, i MIGHT show i'm MPC. Don't wanna confuse the poor chap... yet [​IMG]

I'll also check out CCCP, since a couple of you have mentioned it.

Thanks! [​IMG]

6. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I usually use the K-Lite codec pack, but I hear the CCCP is also good. Both seem fairly easy to install. The codec packs work universally so they can work on other media players(KLite has a setting to work with Windows Media Player rather than MPC), but I found that I like the prepackaged Media Player Classic better. Just remember to update every once in a while... because I also have VLC updated on this computer and watched some videos with H.264 and it didn't work out so well with K-Lite... Turns out the codecs were outdated.

7. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    You asked for a bloat free pack and in my experience klite comes shortly behind ACE Mega codecs pack in the king of bloat contest.

If it matters any media player classic (my player of choice) looks like an older version of WMP and as far as playing, pausing and what have you go there is very little that is simpler.

8. WildWon
    OP

United States
    I'm leaning towards Klite for the WMP integration options. My friend is VERY computer illiterate, and i'd like to keep it as built-in-to-the-system as possible for his sake. Does CCCP allow for non MPC options? I mean, i COULD set it up for him to use MPC, but as well as being non-'puter-savvy, he's also a heavy toker, so sitting him down to explain anything... well, i have to repeat the same instructions over and over and over. I love him to death (hes an ex-roommate, and pretty much a brother), but explaining ANYTHING tech is pulling teeth heh.

9. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    CCCP is what I use. It has everything I need and works just fine.

10. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    I believe that CCCP has more support if you need help. They even have a wiki page. The acceptable players are listed here: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php...ed_with_CCCP.29

I have already tested K-Lite with WMP and it works. Apparently, CCCP also works with WMP.

11. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    It does, that's how I play some of the videos I download to check if they work.

12. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    When installing you get a settings application pop up.

Depending on what you install you will get 3 options:
    [​IMG]

Assuming you already have WMP set up you can avoid changing it.

I will say again though that WMP will fall over (or hog the system resources nicely) unless you make all the videos yourself to conform with the narrow range WMP can take (last few versions have been doing OK with AVI, not enough for me to consider sticking with it but OK).