Ditching the SD Card, can it be done?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by kamike, Jul 14, 2015.

1. kamike
    OP

kamike Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2015
    Hello, world!

Have a nice pre 2008 Wii but the SD reader is getting a little wonky. Using Homebrew and Wiiflow mainly, .wbfs files on an external hard drive. Is there a way to ditch the SD card entirely and put all the Homebrew and Wiiflow stuff onto the hard? As in, no SD card in play at all? I can't figure out how to do it. More of a conisuerre than a hacker.

Thanks.

2. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I ran without an SD card for quite some time. The Home-brew loader can run applications off the usb HD just fine. Just move your apps to a Fat32 (I think NTFS works too) harddisk. I don't remember the keys, but you can change the config on the homebrew loader to point at USB by default.

3. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I use an SD card for WiiWare/VC stuff that's copied from NAND but everything else is on a USB hard drive.

Just put an "apps" folder on the drive and put your loaders/homebrew in it or even copy the one on your SD card over.

You have to switch the Homebrew channel to HDD to see the apps from there, though. (1 button)

4. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Just copy all the files from your SD card to your HDD and you should be good. Hit the 1 Button on HBC to switch to USB access for apps.

5. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    you will have to change the settings in the individual apps too!

For me, I don't want to risk corrupting my HDD with any writing so I limit all my apps and configs etc to the SD slot as much as I can. Call me sarcastic :ha:
    The HDD is only for storing game images which I don't have a backup. Backing up TB of data is expensive. I backup my SD regularly instead.