Display problems

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Originality, Mar 21, 2010.

Mar 21, 2010

Display problems by Originality at 6:45 PM (748 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Originality
    OP

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I'm posting here to see if any quick ideas can help fix things for me.

Firstly, this is a brand new Acer Aspire 5740M laptop, with a fresh install of Windows 7. Naturally one of the first things to do is run Windows Update. I installed a few other things whilst waiting for Windows Update to finish downloading, but whilst it tried applying 44 "important" updates, the display went blank except for a DOS-style underline flashing in the top left corner. I waited a while incase it was just trying to run a DOS script, but it wouldn't go away. I tried hitting a few different keys, like esc, alt+f4, enter, etc, but it didn't seem to respond. Finally I just pressed the on button and heard it go through the usual shut-down sound effects and turn off.

Turning it back on, it got the Windows Starting screen just fine but it stayed there. I heard the windows logging on sound effects, and the system seems to work fine in the background, but the screen just stuck on Windows Starting. I can't seem to get rid of it either, and this is the problem I need fixed.

I can get into safe mode, and safe mode displays fine as normal. I've looked in the event manager but there's nothing obvious that failed. I'm going to try uninstalling the recent updates to see if that helps, but somehow I'm not very hopeful. I've not yet created a backup (was hoping to do that after the updates finished) so system restore won't work.

Any ideas on how I can make it display properly without safe mode?

EDIT: Ok, through a combination of creative prodding, tinkering with a Win7 Install disk and discovering hidden system restore states that normally don't appear (it seems it backed it up when I installed Java, handily enough, but wouldn't show it in the normal system restore screen), I've managed to get back to square 1, with the display working but no updates installed. I've spent the last 20 minutes reinstalling the updates bit by bit (in groups of 5) until the problem happened again. I'm down to the last 6 updates, 3 of which are optional (hardware based updates), so I'm sure one of them is the cause. After I go back to the system restore point I made sure to make this time, I'll just leave those updates alone until I've sent a good angry email at M$ for allowing this to happen in the first place.

So, more or less, problem fixed.

2. DQScott95

Member DQScott95 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just update and leave alone till its done

3. Originality
    OP

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    If 40 minutes is not enough for it to sort itself out (after signing in), then somehow I don't think leaving it going for another hour is going to help at all.

It turned out that it was due to the Intel GMA graphics drivers. The screen wouldn't support the new output so it would go blank as soon as the GMA kicked in. There's no hotfix currently available, so all I can do is leave it for the time being and try the next revision when it's available.