Disk Cannot be Read

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Arch Feline, Nov 1, 2008.

Nov 1, 2008

Disk Cannot be Read by Arch Feline at 12:00 AM (1,055 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Arch Feline
    OP

Member Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Playing Metroid Prime 3 on the weekends here and I confess it is taking me quite a few weekends. I keep getting "the disk cannot be read" and I am just removing the disk, wiping it and trying again. Today I went to source forge and downloaded info recorder. The newly burned copy works just fine. I have no clue how that disk got so scratched up.

You know though, Nintendo should take better care of its paying customers. You should be able to get a new copy of a game that you scratched, melted, pummeled or lost.

2. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    try burning it at a 4x burn speed

3. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Did it have a fat scratch in it? My godfather disk would always give that error after it's finished loading so I took it out and it had a very nice sized scratch through the guts of it.. So I ripped it to the computer and burnt it again and it works like a charm. Which I thought was strange, because I thought it would be a perfect duplicate of the disk, scratch and all but it hasn't given me the DRE's since.

But if you paid for it yeah that sucks, disks are gay in that regard. Take good care of them! I guess if nintendo refunded every non working disk they receiced they would have a lot of work to do...

4. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I got that for ssbb. metroid is a new one for me....never had issues with it.

nintendo will replace games in the first 3 months or something like that. someone confirm this?

5. MainframeF4

Newcomer MainframeF4 Advanced Member

United States
    They will replace them if you fight with them on the phone. I had a nice chat with them a few weeks ago after getting 2 disks that would never play without the dirty disk error. Theres only so many times they can tell me "Clean the disk with water and wipe from the center" before i get mad.

6. stok3d

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    since having a 5 year old and a 7 year old, i have mastered the art of cleaning wii discs.. [​IMG] run some luke-warm water and hold the disc, data side up, and rub with your fingers in small circular motions while the water runs..the running water provides some nice lubrication and allows good removal of fingerprints and other gunk without ever actually touching the discs surface. shake off excess water and use a soft, non-abrasive cloth or paper towel to remove any remaining droplets; finally, blow off any small lint / fibers left from drying..voila, factory condition!

now, if your disc is scratched to hell, this isn't going to help you much. data discs can actually take quite a beating...sometimes with scratches it isn't how many but where the scratch is and how deep it is that determines if you're going to have read issues. i've had discs with ONE scratch that won't load ever, and other discs that look sandpapered but work like a charm..

7. stok3d

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    yeah, i agree...i've always found that the pc dvd-drive can usually dump a disc that the console won't read unless it's one of those deep-type nasty scratches..and in case anyone wondered, if you turn off error correction with your burn software, it may look like it copied fine, but if there WERE errors, you won't know until the console tries to access that part of the disc.