FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a general rule we don't allow undub patches that are either
a) Not some kind of cheat/patch to force load an existing other language dub that is already present in the ROM.
b) Not completely end user work. Though most of these would be actual dubs or user voice acting.

This is as wholesale including a whole audio rip of the game is pretty hard to justify.

This goes especially in the cases where "open usually Japanese ROM, fish out SDAT, overwrite usually NA/EU ROM's SDAT with said first SDAT, rebuild if necessary" is the entire procedure but still goes even for those where more complex work needs to be done.

If it is a case of complex work (has been seen, usually when a ROM uses something other than SDAT or something in addition to SDAT but there are cases of SDAT files themselves being radically tweaked, or sometimes just when people only want a partial undub) then by all means figure out what the changes with regards to file headers or ROM binaries are and replicate those in a patch, telling people to get the relevant versions of the ROM and run this batch file or grab these files, apply these patches/tweaks to said file and rebuild.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a general rule we don't allow undub patches that are either
a) Not some kind of cheat/patch to force load an existing other language dub that is already present in the ROM.
b) Not completely end user work. Though most of these would be actual dubs or user voice acting.

This is as wholesale including a whole audio rip of the game is pretty hard to justify.

This goes especially in the cases where "open usually Japanese ROM, fish out SDAT, overwrite usually NA/EU ROM's SDAT with said first SDAT, rebuild if necessary" is the entire procedure but still goes even for those where more complex work needs to be done.

If it is a case of complex work (has been seen, usually when a ROM uses something other than SDAT or something in addition to SDAT but there are cases of SDAT files themselves being radically tweaked, or sometimes just when people only want a partial undub) then by all means figure out what the changes with regards to file headers or ROM binaries are and replicate those in a patch, telling people to get the relevant versions of the ROM and run this batch file or grab these files, apply these patches/tweaks to said file and rebuild.
The way I see it, we have lost a lot of history over time because of restrictions like this, while I agree that the level of effort varies on how stuff like this is made (huge difference between an attempt with effort and a complete lazy attempt), I don't agree with disallowing the ability to post content like this for the simple fact that not many places on the internet may have something of the sorts for a title like this. I already looked on this forum for a related patch because as I stated in my patch post, a user requested that I add this undubbed version of the game to the cheat databases, obviously I didn't have it at the time, and based on the results of the internet, neither did this forum nor any other known or fan based forum. I literally only found it in one place on the internet, I am the type that believes that if one person wants it then it must be worth keeping preserved in time because out of the entire population (still growing), I am very sure others out there would want this type of patch as well, regardless of the effort taken at hand. For all we know someone could take this patch and add to it, improve upon it, maybe overhaul it. I mean no disrespect by all means, but I honestly believe people should rethink their standards a little bit before casting a stone on a piece of history that people in the future may want but won't have the chance to get.

I have seen a lot of cases where people wanted to improve upon lazy attempted hacks so that they are better and have the full attempt added to it, but couldn't because the original source died and other places simply wouldn't allow it for reasons that could have easily been set aside.

You guys run the forum how you want, I respect that, but I do request that you reconsider how history is handled, we lost a lot when places like filetrip died as it is (we hardly have backups of a lot of the content that sat there).

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,
Reactions: Badfrank

adeptape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disgaea DS needs a hack that would allow viewing enemy skills and spells. Doesn't make much sense to try to strategize against enemies when you have no idea what they can do. Other than that,Disgaea is ,imho, the best tactical strategy game made, up to that point in time, on any game console.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Disgaea is ,imho, the best tactical strategy game made, up to that point in time, on any game console.
Well, it's been released on several platforms at this point, so I'm not sure why you're singling out the DS version? I thought a lot of people were particularly displeased by how the graphics were scaled.

If there's not already a mod for the PC version, that would almost certainly be the easiest platform to work with.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't speak to the merits of this as a gameplay mod at this point (unknown information can both work and also be a needless restriction in games of this style, and be something subjective in the middle -- is a memory test if it would count as one, or being forced to play defensively knowing the enemy could throw something unknown at you, necessarily a bad thing or even that unrealistic for want of a better term).

It is the sort of thing I have seen done in cheats, especially for more complicated games where the enemies might well almost be player characters in their own right and have all the requisite stats and limitations.
If you were doing it as a hack you would probably start by finding the enemy stats, or indeed possibly the player ones and then seeing if similar structures exist. Alternatively if you can find something like the enemy hp, mp or the like then chances are the other stats are near enough this. With stats usually sits equips and move lists.
Some flash carts have memory viewers, and if you are playing on an emulator then you can dump this data out (or indeed use Lua to make it into a nice table displayed on a secondary window/overlay if you want to go that far). The cheat thing comes in where people use the cheat engine to read data from one location and overwrite something irrelevant on screen with a reveal of the information (you may have to learn a key to know what single character/combo corresponds to an in game effect) or indeed overwrite in a further menu (who cares if system options is not allowing you to choose text speed).

If you are unfamiliar with cheats then https://web.archive.org/web/20080309104350/http://etk.scener.org/?op=tutorial https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_nds.html

Lua
http://wiki.desmume.org/index.php?title=Faq#What_is_this_Lua_stuff_I_see.3F
https://fceux.com/web/help/LuaScripting.html
https://tasvideos.org/LuaScripting (often a subtly different take with some different function names but the principle carries)

Cheats are not very clean usually and Lua needs an emulator on the PC (don't think the phone options have it, some older machines might but it kind of is a PC affair for most things) so doing it for real tends to start off the same way in finding stats and presumably move lists with it. If you are a better hacker you will know how to do tracing ( https://www.romhacking.net/documents/361/ ) and thus can work backwards from enemy MP pools or your character's HP going down when hit by it in fairly short order. If the game has some kind of reveal spell/technique you can also attach a call to it (and possibly also lose any casting cost) to something banal that is always going to happen. Displaying data in game if there is not some nice info dump spell you can abuse for this faces many of the same problem as cheats above and you can go the same way of replacing data with something else, albeit with a bit more nuance owing to having more control of what changes. Otherwise you get to figure out how to cram more visual data into RAM and onto the screen (the finding graphics thing above while for the GBA carries over enough to the DS that it is what you have to handle, http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/toc.htm also good stuff if you want a more programming approach, naturally http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm having all manner of data on everything relevant in this).

adeptape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, nice info on LUA. might work and it IS available on DrasticDS emulator(Android,PC,Mac)
Post automatically merged:

Well, it's been released on several platforms at this point, so I'm not sure why you're singling out the DS version? I thought a lot of people were particularly displeased by how the graphics were scaled.

If there's not already a mod for the PC version, that would almost certainly be the easiest platform to work with.
i said Disgaea, not DisgaeaDS, was the best tactical rpg,lol.... that i know of, anyway.

Last edited by adeptape,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night