Homebrew [Discontinued] TWLoader - CTR-mode NDS app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Strange. Everything works fine for me. Try turning console output On (with Debug).
Turning on debug worked once (couldnt see output of text it was to quick but it worked). It booted to neods no problem. Tried again 5 times after that and nothing just white screen again. 6th time it booted again and was able to play. Is it just hit and miss with certain emulators/ds homebrew

mcmn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Tested the latest release on my Ace3DS+. First off, thanks for adding support for the card so quickly!

However, I run into the following issues when running games from Slot-1 MicroSD:
- New Super Mario Bros.: health and savety warning, some text like "init fat succ [...]", Nintendo splash, freeze
- Picross DS: same as above
- Mario 64 DS: this one actually starts. I can play just fine until the first save spot. If I save, the game freezes

I also noticed the following:
- If I launch the slot I card, it actually loads but the background is black so navigating is rather hard. I can (blindly) launch games, though. The behavior is the same as above.
- Running Mario Kart Demo (download game) from internal SD used to work before but now it just shows a white screen after the health and savety warning

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested the latest release on my Ace3DS+. First off, thanks for adding support for the card so quickly!

However, I run into the following issues when running games from Slot-1 MicroSD:
- New Super Mario Bros.: health and savety warning, some text like "init fat succ [...]", Nintendo splash, freeze
- Picross DS: same as above
- Mario 64 DS: this one actually starts. I can play just fine until the first save spot. If I save, the game freezes
Savng doesn't work with the card.
I also noticed the following:
- If I launch the slot I card, it actually loads but the background is black so navigating is rather hard. I can (blindly) launch games, though. The behavior is the same as above.
- Running Mario Kart Demo (download game) from internal SD used to work before but now it just shows a white screen after the health and savety warning
1. I was unable to fix this.
2. Keep trying. It might be a boot rate problem.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean saving does not work yet or will it never work? Does saving work for other cards (R4 SDHC for example)?
It'll never work. The autobooting Wood for the card is pretty outdated.
Well, it used to work all the time when I last tried it with some older version.
Hmm. Whenever it doesn't work, post what the bootstrap .ini file looks like. It's at "sdmc:/_nds/nds-bootstrap.ini".

BlurZz__PTKN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rom loading from ini file is not working on R4i-sdhc. Have checked that my paths are correct but still nothing. Im using the latest version of TWLoader too. Also the flashcard packs linked in the original post do not work with the R4i-sdhc. I copied all the files to my micro sd and when I tried to run my DS flashcard I got a "? Menu" error message. Did a little research and it turns out that the R4.dat file for that flash card will not allow YSmenu to autoboot so I downloaded another DAT file from here https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4sdhc-dual-core-firmware.421665/#post-6229829 copied to my card. Now my flashcard auto boots YSmenu but still cannot autoload roms from ini in TWLoader. Any advice?

Your card is a actually just a clone of DSTT (I have the same card). Copy the files from "for Slot-1 microSD (DSTT)" folder to the root of your sd card in flashcart. Now on that same sd card rename "TTMENU.DAT" to "R4.DAT". Now make sure to change your setting on TWLoader to the DSTT option. Your games should now load!

Rak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I tested this yesterday and found some weird problems that may be pretty grave. I don't know if it has already been reported, but I'm going to go into detail of what I did and what effects it had:

I currently have n3dsxl with an emunand setup. I installed the TWLapp.cia into both the 9.2 nand and the 11.1 emunand.
I installed the TWLoader.cia in the emunand and setup an old r4i-gold flash card whose firmware have been long gone.
I made .ini for a few roms and tested a castlevania game. It worked fine for a while, but then the audio went silent and after a short while the whole game froze.
"No biggie" I thought, these things are bound to happen with such experimental tools. I power cycled my 3ds and decided to play some smash, but when I tried turning it back on, it would not boot up. After a while, I decided to get the flash card out of slot 1 and the 3ds turned on with no issues.
After it turned back on, I played a few rounds of smash online and then the same thing as when I was playing ds happened: The MUSIC went silent (sound effects were still working) and just as the match finished my 3ds froze completely.
After I power cycled, the 3ds didn't boot up, I took out the slot 1 flash card and it worked again. I tested again if I could replicate the crash and in effect I could. After a match online the music went silent in the middle of my second match and the game froze at the end (just before the transition to the winner screen).
Again, power cycled, 3ds didn't boot up, took out the slot 1 flash card, booted up. I did a third test, this time without introducing the flash card again. This time I could play 8+ matches without encountering any issues.

I found this very weird. It seems like the TWLapp.cia may somehow affect the console audio system causing it to corrupt the system memory when something is inserted in slot 1. It also seems to mess with the boot process of the arm9 when certain conditions happen, like having something in slot 1 after a crash.

Last edited by Rak,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I tested this yesterday and found some weird problems that may be pretty grave. I don't know if it has already been reported, but I'm going to go into detail of what I did and what effects it had:

I currently have n3dsxl with an emunand setup. I installed the TWLapp.cia into both the 9.2 nand and the 11.1 emunand.
I installed the TWLoader.cia in the emunand a setup an old r4i-gold flash card whose firmware have been long gone.
I made .ini for a few roms and tested a castlevania game. It worked fine for a while, but then the audio went silent and after a short while the whole game froze.
"No biggie" I thought, these things are bound to happen with such experimental tools. I power cycled my 3ds and decided to play some smash, but when I tried turning it back on, it would not boot up. After a while, I decided to get the flash card out of slot 1 and the 3ds turned on with no issues.
After it turned back on, I played a few rounds of smash online and then the same thing as when I was playing ds happened: The MUSIC went silent (sound effects were still working) and just as the match finished my 3ds froze completely.
After I power cycled, the 3ds didn't boot up, I took out the slot 1 flash card and it worked again. I tested again if I could replicate the crash and in effect I could. After a match online the music went silent in the middle of my second match and the game froze at the end (just before the transition to the winner screen).
Again, power cycled, 3ds didn't boot up, took out the slot 1 flash card, booted up. I did a third test, this time without introducing the flash card again. This time I could play 8+ matches without encountering any issues.

I found this very weird. It seems like the TWLapp.cia may somehow affect the console audio system causing it to corrupt the system memory when something is inserted in slot 1. It also seems to mess with the boot process of the arm9 when certain conditions happen, like having something in slot 1 after a crash.
That should be impossible. TWLapp.cia (now called "TWLoader - TWLNAND side.cia") or any DSiWare game/app cannot affect a console's audio system.
I played Sm4sh with a flashcard inserted, and nothing like what you said ever happened.

Rak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That should be impossible. TWLapp.cia (now called "TWLoader - TWLNAND side.cia") or any DSiWare game/app cannot affect a console's audio system.
I played Sm4sh, and nothing like what you said ever happened.
I don't know how this works exactly, so my last comment was just a suggestion that may be way off. But the fact that this weird crash happened to me is true. Unless you want to disregard the reports of a beta tester for no reason :(

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how this works exactly, so my last comment was just a suggestion that may be way off. But the fact that this weird crash happened to me is true. Unless you want to disregard the reports of a beta tester for no reason :(
When did you last use your flashcard?

Rak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When did you last use your flashcard?
On its own? never. It was from a friend who erased its firmware. Because the web site on the card is dead now, we couldn't replace the files, so it was sitting on a drawer. I figured this could be use to sort of revive it, and it worked. You think it may be this specific model that is causing the problems? but why should it affect the console when playing a 3ds game? The card is a r4i-gold v1.4. Its web site was www.r4i-gold.com

nooby89

A normal member with a stupid alias
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I configure all and If I start the .ini file of my .nds game, it give my an error screen why a «? menu»...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍