disallow translation requests

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Noitora, Sep 14, 2008.

Sep 14, 2008

disallow translation requests by Noitora at 12:48 AM (2,142 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Noitora
    OP

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    I know I may sound stupid but it happens every time a good game is out in Japanese, the boards flood with translation request topics which only result in flame/spam replies.You should actually consider to disallow creating translation request topics or create a subforum within the Nds - rom hacking and translations forum for translation requests.
    translation requests have really gotten out of hand lately and I just thought I'd post my thoughts.

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    well i think ur rong, lol

ne way, is any1 thinkin about translating pkmon platinum pl0x? i really want to play dis game in english [​IMG].

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. Noitora
    OP

Greece
    I'm not against translation requests myself but it's rather ugly to see the board flooded with "Translate this game I wanna play it in english, and do it fast please" topics.

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i totally agree. there should be a sub-forum or even just a sticky for it.

5. Noitora
    OP

Greece
    It's been already proved that a sticky for translation requests won't do.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is a reason stickied/pinned threads are sometimes called invisible threads I guess.

I say we put together an example hack (as a complement to the main docs/guides) and load it up with comments (think programming comments).
    I have not got enough in my docs (those already posted or the version languishing on my drive) to make one (it is mainly general advice and thoughts of one who was there for that sort of thing), the only person I know who attempted such a thing thus far (for the DS although I have yet to see such a thing fully done for another system) is deufeufeu and he did not get that far.
    I know for a fact a lot of work goes on behind the scenes so even the so called open projects so even those who do bother to read do not get a true sense of the effort involved.

If this does go ahead can I suggest a puzzle game as they get overlooked in place of the RPGs or similar large scale games, still encompass all major hacking areas and some are pretty awesome?
    Better yet how about a European language hack (English to something else) as more than a few of us can hack and do European languages.

All in all though I am against disallowing requests as I can skip over spam but for someone coming in it is already hard enough to dig through the quagmire of etiquette that has built up over the years (not necessarily just around here).

Edit: and it may be an idea to tack on one of the "how to make request properly" to such a thread.

7. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Translation Requests do get out of hand. I get some pms asking to translate games for them, demanding it even sometimes and I'm sick of it. (There not all from here but other forums I'm on. Though I don't know how to hack but ask to translate. The only reason I even do them is if I know it will have a low chance of getting translated/) I honestly think there should be a subforum of sorts where they can put there requests and we can consider doing them.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Raiyu245 really? I get the odd PM/email asking for a bit of help with a project/to be pointed in the right direction (invariably nicely worded with some serious thought beforehand) but out and out requests or demands is a bit much.

9. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Yeah I do sometimes. But again, not all of them are from this site but from other sites that I am a member of.

10. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    haha. I remember I asked you for some help a while back. I hope I didnt come off as a douche.

11. Noitora
    OP

Greece
    I have asked for your help many times, sorry I was plainly stupid back then [​IMG]

12. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    yes, please, I too would like some translations, but I keep it to myself, I understand the challenge of hacking(even with certain tool I never did anything [​IMG]) the hacking forum is flooding with them. [​IMG] Especially Platinum...

I think SOME requests are okay, like games that will never come out in English(or not in a few years *coughnarutocough*) and at full quality.

Jump Ultimate Stars is a good example. Away them(translation requests), be gone!

13. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have to agree too. I mean...the JUS and Soma Bringer translations were ones started out of the goodwill of the hearts of the translators, not because someone requested it. Er, right?

It's getting downright ridiculous when people are out-and-out demanding for translations. Demanding! For something they're already getting free! Jesus Christ.

Edit: Maybe translators should start charging by the request (or demand). [​IMG]

"TRANSLATE POKEYMAN PLATNUM OR DIE BITCH"
    "$1000 up front, in cash, before I begin."
    "FUCK U ILL DO IT MYSELF"
    *five minutes later*
    "IM SORREY! [​IMG]"

14. Pimpmynintendo

Member Pimpmynintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I myself probably shouldn't have any say in this since I don't hack/translate, but I would have to agree with the hackers and translators if it is upsetting them.

15. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Why not disallow all ROM talk, "Which flash card should I buy?" topics, and cheat requests as well? We'd be a much better place.

16. SonicRax

Member SonicRax Egg-Mayo: The Movie

United Kingdom
    I think the most ridiculous thing about some people making the requests, is that they register only to ask someone to make it thinking they're gonna do it, without even bothering to check if someone's asked already. I mean WTF? That's kinda rude.
    It's like they think that by them saying "I can has Platinum p4tch kthxbai" someone will immediately jump up and make it for them straight away.

But that's not to say making the translation requests are bad, it's just that people should really read into it more before making a request. ._. And a little bit of input into the project wouldn't really hurt, right?

17. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Its not GBATemp without the n00bs! And GBATemp-ROM Talk= GAYBATemp. [​IMG]

GBATemp feeds off of noobs and lulz.

But cerealy, no "Which flashcart" or "translate diz!" or "is diz game dumped"

Maybe a sticky for 1 and 3. Or just 1. Like a list or a Quizilla quiz with stuff like: Are you willing to pay $50 or do you care about extra features.
    Ya know what, I'll make one tomorrow. [​IMG]

18. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Well a new rule should be "attempt a hack first, and then ask for help"
    rather than a translation request.
    I've notice quite a lot of
    "I want to help, but I don't know romhacking."
    well who did know romhacking? this is something you learn.
    "But I don't know romhacking."
    You'll never know how to rom hack until you actually learn.

FAST wrote up a very nice document with LOTS of useful links, romhacking.net has some starting tutorials including useful tools.
    Many tools are being made, such as the NFTR editor DarthNemesis is creating.

If you have the time to request, then use that time to learn how to rom hack.
    Start by editing english to other texts. Mess around with pointers. Experiment with graphics.
    There are far more useful tools to use than long time ago, it's like the perfect time to learn.

Requesters should think about their request, but only should request if they can actually HELP in any way, instead of "keep up the good work" or "Go Go Go!" or "I hope you guys finish it soon"

OR
    the rom hack section can be split! to a section for romhackers to discuss, and a section for the non- romhackers (don't want to be offensive XP) to request, ask for help, etc.

19. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Agreed, requests are getting worse, especially since the requests are like "Pokemon Platinum Translation? Anybody?" "I want a pokemon translation!" "please translate platinum! [​IMG] " and they don't even know a shit about romhacking, or at least about Japanese, what's even worse is when such a topic is made by someone with 2-3 posts, as if they're here just to leech this site and ask for translations, fast and easy, dammit!

But, there's no particular way to remove them safely, removing their posts will end up with even more posts

20. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I got used to it now, but topics like "Sigma Harmonics Translation" used to make me think there may actually be a translation going on while it was just another n00b asking for one to be made.

Requests should be disallowed, however anyone starting a project and wanting to inform people about it is fine in my opinion.