ROM Hack Disable the Select Button?

cocomonk22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may seem like an odd request, but I would like to know if there is a method to disable the Select button from functioning during a game.

The reason is that the game being translated (see signature) updates the storyline for the current episode, but this can only be viewed by pressing the Select button. Otherwise, by the end of the episode, only the complete story is shown to the player.

Majorami

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't understand what you're talking about at all...

Did you even pass 6th grade English?

Anyways, I strongly believe that AR codes can be used to disable or give buttons functions...
However you'll figure out how to do it on your own.

There aren't many code makers for NDS anymore, and they rarely ever do button codes that are so niche like that. I couldn't even get one of them to make no BGM cheat for xxxxxx game.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I believe I understand what you mean but I don't think it's a good idea.
That progressing storyline is an help if the player get lost somewhere so probably need to be translated as well.
As for how to block the select button, cheats seems a way to go.
Search a unknow value while the select is not pressed and while you keep it pressed.

The other options require ASM knowledge.
Take a look at the second section III-A at http://toenailed.game-hackers.com/tutorial/trainer.htm

or maybe http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_nds.html#cbdscrypt

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't understand what you're talking about at all...

Did you even pass 6th grade English?

Anyways, I strongly believe that AR codes can be used to disable or give buttons functions...
However you'll figure out how to do it on your own.

There aren't many code makers for NDS anymore, and they rarely ever do button codes that are so niche like that. I couldn't even get one of them to make no BGM cheat for xxxxxx game.
>Doesn't understand post
>Blames OP for not knowing English
>Helps with original issue

The logic of Tempers is a tricky one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too am not entirely sure of your underlying logic but such things are common in my life so instead I will say that that disabling the button hacks are not all that different to remapping hacks (or touch screen/guitar hero hack)
Link (has to be deep because of frames) http://crackerscrap.com/docs/sfchacktut.html (homepage- http://crackerscrap.com/ ).

Find where the game debounces button presses to and set the select bit/bytes to always be 0. No need to drill down into the game for a quick and dirty hack like this.

cocomonk22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would like to get everything translated, but the translators feel that translating the story progression text files would take years to finish, and they would rather work on the game script instead.

Thanks for your help.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would like to get everything translated, but the translators feel that translating the story progression text files would take years to finish, and they would rather work on the game script instead.

Thanks for your help.
You could probably convince them to translate it if you let them put that bit off until near the end of the translation process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: