Hardware Direct SD read using a usb port. Is it possible?

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just wondering if it is possible to do a hardmod to directly read sd card content in pc via usb, you know so you dont have to remove your sd card for transfering data from pc. I know it is a simple unpluging in the o3DS, but in n3DS you need to unscrew and remove the back cover first and it is a bit inconvenient to do that and can damage the screw if you do it too often. I know there is a build in wireless transfer but the speed is well slow even if the connection is good, and sometime my pc get disconnected from the 3ds when in the mid of copying(dunno the reason but it happen when copying a quite big size, wether it is 1 file or alot). So yeah just wondering if it is possible.

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Use wireless transfer.
And for the disconnecting issue, get a better router. Trust me, I know this from experience. ;)

well yeah i use it too, i mean for better speed.
i have a 10mbps download speed for normal usesomething like 5mbps for upload, but for transfer it is really slow 100mB in 1hour. i do file sharing between pc and it is much faster 1GB in like 10min

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
well yeah i use it too, i mean for better speed.
i have a 10mbps download speed for normal usesomething like 5mbps for upload, but for transfer it is really slow 100mB in 1hour. i do file sharing between pc and it is much faster 1GB in like 10min
Wireless transfer has nothing to do with your Internet connection. It has to do with the Router's speed.
Get a better Router.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Wireless transfer has nothing to do with your Internet connection. It has to do with the Router's speed.
Get a better Router.

i know it, like i said file sharing between pc is faster i can get average 15-20mBps, but the thing is with my 3ds it only reached up to 100-150kBps, all my connected pc and laptop here using wireless connection so there is no reason technically for the 3ds to get a slow down unless the wifi on 3ds just that slower

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always just leave the back cover unscrewed, or at least screw them in enough where a fingernail could unscrew it. The ds has a really bad wifi card, and read/write speeds, so getting a better router isn't necessarily better (after a certain point of course).

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
You can always just leave the back cover unscrewed, or at least screw them in enough where a fingernail could unscrew it. The ds has a really bad wifi card, and read/write speeds, so getting a better router isn't necessarily better (after a certain point of course).

well yeah that is the more convenience way to access the card(i leave mine like that actually) but the possibility of accessing just with cable like a phone is way more convenience(well hardmod is in no way convenience i know). but seriously why the fuck they design it like that, hiding the card inside the back cover(inconvenience one) like a phone without the ability to access it through a cable like a phone, if they at least think a wireless connection a more convenience way than give us a better wifi card/module/etc

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i tried ftbrony on 3ds and filezilla on pc it is a bit faster ~200kBps(still slow tho), more stable and performing other task is much faster(opening,deleting,etc)

Last edited by dizz00,

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering if it is possible to do a hardmod to directly read sd card content in pc via usb, you know so you dont have to remove your sd card for transfering data from pc. I know it is a simple unpluging in the o3DS, but in n3DS you need to unscrew and remove the back cover first and it is a bit inconvenient to do that and can damage the screw if you do it too often. I know there is a build in wireless transfer but the speed is well slow even if the connection is good, and sometime my pc get disconnected from the 3ds when in the mid of copying(dunno the reason but it happen when copying a quite big size, wether it is 1 file or alot). So yeah just wondering if it is possible.
It is possible if you have enough room, I reccomend using MicroJST ports and strong adhesive, also a switch would be needed to cut off the SD from the 3DS or it'll fry, so you'll need a cut off switch, small sd reader and a way to connect it.

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It is possible if you have enough room, I reccomend using MicroJST ports and strong adhesive, also a switch would be needed to cut off the SD from the 3DS or it'll fry, so you'll need a cut off switch, small sd reader and a way to connect it.

Few question:
  1. Why will it fry? My theory the switch is only used for rerouting the sd from the 3ds slot to the reader
  2. Do you know where is the point i need to solder without messing with the ribbon cable?
  3. I think every reader should Work fine regardless of chipset right?
Thanks in advance

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Few question:
  1. Why will it fry? My theory the switch is only used for rerouting the sd from the 3ds slot to the reader
  2. Do you know where is the point i need to solder without messing with the ribbon cable?
  3. I think every reader should Work fine regardless of chipset right?
Thanks in advance
A1: You can't hotswap the SD reader as it can cause corruption and re-routing the whole thing is a long way, also it will fry the SD card cause even a sudden increase in voltage that goes over what the SD card can handle will blow it, best use some gates, I'll explain more in depth about this if you want
A2: Look around for the contacts where they expose or expose them yourself on the ribbon cable with a razor sharp knife
A3: Yes any reader but it has to be ultra small

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
A1: You can't hotswap the SD reader as it can cause corruption and re-routing the whole thing is a long way, also it will fry the SD card cause even a sudden increase in voltage that goes over what the SD card can handle will blow it, best use some gates, I'll explain more in depth about this if you want
A2: Look around for the contacts where they expose or expose them yourself on the ribbon cable with a razor sharp knife
A3: Yes any reader but it has to be ultra small

By hotswap do you mean you when the 3ds not turned on right? Or is it also not possible switching when it is turned off? Please explain it sir, then i'll discuss it with my friend if it is possible phisically or if he is capable doing the soldering. I am capable of understanding the theory and only have basic soldering skill,but for mini soldering or messing with ribbon cable is my friend specialty

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
By hotswap do you mean you when the 3ds not turned on right? Or is it also not possible switching when it is turned off? Please explain it sir, then i'll discuss it with my friend if it is possible phisically or if he is capable doing the soldering. I am capable of understanding the theory and only have basic soldering skill,but for mini soldering or messing with ribbon cable is my friend specialty
even if the 3DS is off, there is still small current flowing from the battery, you will need a gate between the battery and the 3DS PSU to cut off the power , this will prevent any damage to the 3DS or for that case any blown fuses, also hotswap means while it is turned on, with the gate even if it turned on , the second the gate receives power it will cut off the battery from the PSU preventing any damage

dizz00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
even if the 3DS is off, there is still small current flowing from the battery, you will need a gate between the battery and the 3DS PSU to cut off the power , this will prevent any damage to the 3DS or for that case any blown fuses, also hotswap means while it is turned on, with the gate even if it turned on , the second the gate receives power it will cut off the battery from the PSU preventing any damage

ah i see so better use the gate for safety measure right. i'll try discussing it with my friend, and will come back here if we found anything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1