Hacking DIOS-MIOS 2.6: CFG USB Loader

TheFoolishPhilosopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot seem to get DIOS-MIOS working on version 2.6 for the CFG USB Loader v70r49.
These are all the details I can give from what I've seen:
  1. Loader version is 70r49.
  2. DIOS MIOS version I am using is v2.6
  3. Setting in the USB loader does say "DIOS MIOS 2.2+"
  4. 250 GB USB hard drive, worked with WBFS prior, now formatted to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size. Games show up fine in the selection screen.
  5. When loading 2 separate games with a wii game in the drive, it gives the error "Fatal error apploader size is zero!"
  6. When loading the same two games with a gamecube disc in the drive, it simply loads the gamecube game in the drive
If there is any help anyone can give, I would really appreciate it.

EDIT: I apologize if answers to this have been posted elsewhere. I have been searching all morning for something that would help me but my efforts have thusfar been fruitless.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In MiniTool, both of those options are greyed out and it says that it is both active and primary. Beyond that, I think I already set those.
Is that the only thing that could be wrong?

EDIT: If it helps, I have attached a picture of MiniTool and my drive.

Attachments

• Drivestate.png
    Drivestate.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,201

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it says "2.2+" maybe you don't have the latest version of the loader (or there's no new version? sorry I don't follow cfg loader regularly)
it means that it's a build of the loader which was released when only DM2.2 existed. so it can't recognize if you have a 2.2 or 2.3 or newer

Starting at DM2.2, it requires that the loader provide the correct setting version to DM or else it will try to boot the inserted Disc instead.
Maybe the version of cfg you are using is still providing the old setting to DM?

- verify if there's a newer release of cfg loader, compatible with newer DM.
- Test with another loader (USBGX r1207, or DMbooter), to see if the problem is the loader or your setup (HDD, DM, etc.)

TheFoolishPhilosopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was previously on r50. After I updated to v70r50, CFG USB Loader refused to load.
On your suggestion, I did it again, except this time, it loaded. However, now, instead of getting the DIOS-MIOS screen, all I get is a black screen.
I'm tempted to believe my USB Hard Drive (A SeaGate 250GB) isn't supported, but then how would it have loaded so many games on the WBFS file format?

I also attempted your suggestion, Cyan, but I cannot seem to find the latest revision, or I am unsure where the option for DIOS MIOS is on USB Loader GX, as when I updated it to the latest version that I could find here (http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/list), I could not see any options for DM, just DML. I have been told very often that there is a distinct difference (one being an SD loader and the other a USB loader) so I wanted to make sure I had the latest revision before attempting anything.
When loading from the wad I installed (from the package USBLoader_GX_V3_0_AllinOnePackage_IOS249.zip), it told me there were no new updates when I attempted to update.
I can't tell if the update server my Wii is trying to connect to is an old one (in which case I understand I need to find a revision that is on the new one) or if I legitimately have the newest one.

Thank you for all the help, everyone!

EDIT: Prepared a second flash drive for loading. 32KB cluster size, active, primary, everything seemed correct. It also got a black screen on CFG USB Loader v70r50 after attempting to load both ISOs I had prepared. Any ideas?

SECOND EDIT: I reinstalled DIOS-MIOS 2.6 for good measure. Now the Wii will shut down if I attempt to load a GC game with CFG USB Loader. Attempting to do so with USB Loader GX now.

THIRD EDIT: USB Loader GX will recognize that there are Gamecube games there, now. I have the USB Loader GX channel installed from the V3.0 AllinOnePackage on my Wii. On my SD card, I have the boot.dol from r1207. Both of them can recognize the Gamecube games, but yet again it just boots from the drive. If Cyan was correct then the program is not recognizing the correct version of DIOS-MIOS.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll try to reply to all the points.

• The latest USBLoaderGX released to end users is v3.0
The revision available past this version are only beta version.
The beta version are not triggering a "new version detected" when trying to update the loader. It would cause too much trouble if users take a bad beta version without understanding it's a bad one.
Beta version are only available manually. It allow the user to know what it does, that it's not a stable version, and (unlikely) they can help me if they decide to report bugs.

• If you used the files from the "all in one package", then the version is outdated!
Like I said, if you don't use the correct version, it try to launch the game located in the disc instead of the iso.

Compatibility:
USBLoaderGX 3.0 (r1180): DIOS MIOS Lite (SD card), version 1.2 to 2.1
USBLoaderGX r1191: added support for Dios Mios (USB) 2.0 and 2.1
USBLoaderGX r1197: added support for DM(L) 2.2+
USBLoaderGX r1202: added autodetection of DIOS MIOS (Lite) version to select the correct setting version automatically
current latest version r1207: Added installation of GameCube multiDisc games

• inside USBLoaderGX, the setting are named "DML", but it's just the name of the setting. It affect both DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite and doesn't reflect the current installed version.
This is only a prefix to the settings to differentiate the Wii settings to DIOS MIOS (Lite) settings to Devolution settings.
If you have a better prefix idea, let me know and I'll replace it.

• DIOS MIOS is not using a cIOS, therefore the HDD compatibility is different while inside USBLoader (which use a IOS) and when booting a gameCube game with DIOS MIOS (Lite) (Which use a MIOS)
Having the HDD working fine for Wii games doesn't mean that it will work fine in DIOS MIOS.

• like stated above, the HDD compatibility for DM(L) may not be perfect, and it can be that your Drive is not compatible at all, or only partially.
When a drive is partially compatible, it can work one time, and randomly not work the other time. You need to try again, and again.

When DIOS MIOS has difficulty to mount the drive, you have a blackscreen. it's in fact waiting for the drive to initialize.
When DIOS MIOS (Lite) encounter an error, it shutdown the Wii. That again is randomly occuring, it doesn't mean that the loader is incompatible.

• if you installed the channel version, there are two different channel
Full channel: has the version 3.0 installed on Wii.
Forwarder channel: load the boot.dol file you put on your SD card.

Go to settings > credit.
If you see "3.0c" you have the wrong version
If you see "r1207" then it's fine, and it's not normal that it try to boot the disc.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for this. I am incredibly appreciative that you would donate your time to help me out.
Unfortunately, it's still booting from the disc.
I am using r1207 now (it says so on the credits), but I am still getting that sort of problem.
What exactly should I have changed from the default settings?
I feel like I am really close but I am getting frustrated. I'm not very good at this kind of thing yet.
Additionally, how can I make it so the channel boots the r1207 boot.dol? I got my r1207 from a google search of USB Loader GX, and it only came with a boot.dol.

Again, I appreciate the help immensely.

EDIT: In case it is a problem with things I have installed, I SysChecked my Wii.
No IOSes froze the system.

sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 0.0U (v54449)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 34340029
Boot2 v2

Found 128 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 3 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): NAND Access
IOS13 (rev 1032): NAND Access
IOS14 (rev 1032): NAND Access
IOS15 (rev 1032): NAND Access
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): NAND Access
IOS20 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): NAND Access
IOS22 (rev 1294): NAND Access
IOS28 (rev 1807): NAND Access
IOS30 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): NAND Access
IOS33 (rev 3608): NAND Access
IOS34 (rev 3608): NAND Access
IOS35 (rev 3608): NAND Access
IOS36 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 5663): NAND Access
IOS38 (rev 4124): NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): NAND Access
IOS43 (rev 3607): NAND Access
IOS45 (rev 3607): NAND Access
IOS46 (rev 3607): NAND Access
IOS48 (rev 4124): NAND Access
IOS50 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): NAND Access
IOS55 (rev 5663): NAND Access
IOS56 (rev 5662): NAND Access
IOS57 (rev 5919): NAND Access
IOS58 (rev 6176): NAND Access
IOS60 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): NAND Access
IOS70 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, USB 2.0
IOS223 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, USB 2.0
IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247 (rev 21006): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248 (rev 21006): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249 (rev 21006): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS250 (rev 21006): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v5
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2012/12/24.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To get the channel:
on googlecode download page (or in the all-in-one package) there are two wad files.
a Full Channel (ULNR), and a Forwarder channel (UNEO).
Use a wad manager to install the forwarder channel.

I don't know why it still try to boot the disc. I feel like I'm forgetting something, and don't remember what other cause can make it boot the disc.
You could try to delete all config files in the usbloader_gx folder to be sure that all is correctly setup.
check that your HDD is correct (first partition, fat32, 32k cluster, primary, active)
Check that the version is correctly detected in the credit page (DM 2.6.1)
Try an SD card with DIOS MIOS Lite 2.6

TheFoolishPhilosopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. I have deleted the config folder and restarted it.
I rechecked my hard drive and everything appears to be correct (I could reformat it if that is my only option left).
I checked the compatibility list and my hard drive is listed as working with USB Loader GX and DIOS-MIOS 2.6
The version is correctly detected.
I am installing DIOS MIOS Lite 2.6 now. I will edit when I have completed that.
I am also rechecking my HDD to see the cluster size and everything.

EDIT: My HDD doesn't have a letter assigned as a drive. Beyond that, there are no partitions. It's just one big FAT32 hard drive. Is that a problem?

TheFoolishPhilosopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DIOS-MIOS Lite works! You are my hero!
Thank you very much, sir.
If there is anything I can do to repay you, just let me know.
One more thing, though: I can't seem to get the Wii covers to update. Any help on that?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your HDD is maybe not working with DIOS MIOS. You can try another HDD if you want to launch from USB (but it's better from SD, it's more stable as there's no USB driver needed).

Maybe your HDD doesn't have a partition table?
Even if you have only one partition, you should make a partition table. If your partition manager doesn't let you create a table, make two partitions (even a little one at the end if you don't want to use it)

Do you have the path for the covers correctly configured? (look in settings > users paths)
It should download them from gametdb.com, maybe the website was inaccessible when you tried?

halocd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hay I need help with dios mios 2.6 an USB loader gx3.0 I can't get it to recognize that I have a game on my USB flash drive

Oh an the game is in iso file type

An I got two USB loader gx channels on my wii an I want to get rid of one

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Please, use the "edit" link to edit your message instead of posting 3 times in a row.

are the games detected in another loader?
Did you enable "GameCube games" in the loader?
Which folder and filename did you use?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte