United States
Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Very interesting information.

I didn't run into that with the version I bought. Mine was a direct replacement and just worked immediately once I plugged it in. Maybe they have improved the product over time?

You probably got lucky, as there are multiple version digitizer and multiple version cartridge slot. I tried one cartridge slot from one unit before on another it didn't work.

Reactions: binkinator

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you need to match the touch screen with the card reader daughter board. Here's a comparison picture from aliexpress:
1667006717082.png

And for touch screen I think the one with QR code is v2, and the one without is v1.
I think someone mentioned before you can re-program the chip by using touch screen calibration function in hekate and solve the compatibility issue, didn't try that myself.
Also if anyone's replacing this daughter board, you can use this board with a rectangular chip. It's an after market part but it supports all types of touch screen. Used it to repair a v1 before, works perfectly fine.
1667006855697.png

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you need to match the touch screen with the card reader daughter board. Here's a comparison picture from aliexpress:
View attachment 334521

And for touch screen I think the one with QR code is v2, and the one without is v1.
I think someone mentioned before you can re-program the chip by using touch screen calibration function in hekate and solve the compatibility issue, didn't try that myself.
Also if anyone's replacing this daughter board, you can use this board with a rectangular chip. It's an after market part but it supports all types of touch screen. Used it to repair a v1 before, works perfectly fine.
View attachment 334522
Ahh, but this would be remedied by purchasing the correct screen for your V1 or V2 Switch, no?

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
If you need to stuff your cart and you‘re already going to have your switch open…

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20221028150740&SearchText=rcmx86

Trinket M0 Hardware — The @mattytrog Bible for installing the Trinket M0
Trinket M0 Software — The @mattytrog encyclopedia of Trinket M0 software (source here https://github.com/mattytrog/FUSEE_SUITE)

I don’t recommend it unless you’re experienced with a soldering iron. It’s easy to brick your switch messing with the internals…
I meant stuff for the Amazon cart since shipping to Israel requires a minimum 49$ for free eligibility, on specific items only, in any case, I got a K552 keyboard so it all worked out, the LCD + DIGI will be ordered in a couple of days when the 11.11 sale kicks in and the thermal paste was picked up today, one heck of a project lays ahead, I just wish it all works out, I also intend on a smaller project of replacing the shell of the joycons for a clear one, but that's later on.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 334521

View attachment 334522
I am only replacing the full-screen bundle with the one that was offered here, I am using Hekate so I guess that EVEN if for some reason it wouldn't be compatible, ill be able to calibrate it, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahh, but this would be remedied by purchasing the correct screen for your V1 or V2 Switch, no?
My thoughts as well, though when reading in various places, it only got me confused which is why I took my time with actually buying the piece, am going to buy the one you suggested anyway, shouldn't be an issue.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant stuff for the Amazon cart since shipping to Israel requires a minimum 49$ for free eligibility, on specific items only, in any case, I got a K552 keyboard so it all worked out, the LCD + DIGI will be ordered in a couple of days when the 11.11 sale kicks in and the thermal paste was picked up today, one heck of a project lays ahead, I just wish it all works out, I also intend on a smaller project of replacing the shell of the joycons for a clear one, but that's later on.
Whatever you do, do NOT check out the ExtremeRate Store on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/3A776671-8172-46AF-8B37-ED47018555B1

Last edited by binkinator,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touchscreen/card reader stuff isn't as simple as 'v1 vs v2'. Icosa and Iowa both have multiple touchscreen types and there is overlap between them, you just kinda gotta hope you get a card reader that matches your touchscreen.
Same with screens themselves btw.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Touchscreen/card reader stuff isn't as simple as 'v1 vs v2'. Icosa and Iowa both have multiple touchscreen types and there is overlap between them, you just kinda gotta hope you get a card reader that matches your touchscreen.
Same with screens themselves btw.
providing the one you get doesn't match, is it a simple case of calibrating through Hekate or worse?

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EVEN if for some reason it wouldn't be compatible, ill be able to calibrate it, correct me if I'm wrong.
I've seen people here reporting calibrating in hekate somehow re-programs the digitizer controller chip on the card reader and that solves the incompatibility issue. Didn't try that myself as my old switch had a broken card reader so I just replaced the daughter board with a universal one.

Anyway, try to get a screen assembly with a digitizer that matches your current model. If your current digitizer has a QR code on its ribbon cable, get one with QR code. If it doesn't, get one without. Ask the seller if you are not sure which version they are selling.

If you need to stuff your cart and you‘re already going to have your switch open…

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20221028150740&SearchText=rcmx86
It seems like they are now selling a new version of the rcmx86 chip called trinket x86. The new version removed 3 pads and added 2 LEDs. The microcontroller also changed, but I think it's the old samd21 in a new package. Have you seen anyone installed this chip? Is it pin-compatible with the original rcm x86 chip?
1667162467090.png

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen people here reporting calibrating in hekate somehow re-programs the digitizer controller chip on the card reader and that solves the incompatibility issue. Didn't try that myself as my old switch had a broken card reader so I just replaced the daughter board with a universal one.

Anyway, try to get a screen assembly with a digitizer that matches your current model. If your current digitizer has a QR code on its ribbon cable, get one with QR code. If it doesn't, get one without. Ask the seller if you are not sure which version they are selling.

It seems like they are now selling a new version of the rcmx86 chip called trinket x86. The new version removed 3 pads and added 2 LEDs. The microcontroller also changed, but I think it's the old samd21 in a new package. Have you seen anyone installed this chip? Is it pin-compatible with the original rcm x86 chip?
View attachment 334913
With a name like TrinketX86 it would be a gosh darn shame if it weren’t exactly what you need to chip a V1 Switch. Looks very clean. I think we discussed this one in the mattytrog thread a while back.

I‘m doing another V1 for a friend. Here’s the digitizer freshly removed. Be careful of the cables on the right hand of the screen while you’re wrenching the glass of the front BTW. All told it takes about 5 mins to remove cleanly at 300 degrees.

image.jpg

It‘s a V1 too, so here’s what the daughter card looks like.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@randy_w we have his mid frame out, various batteries and a Dremel. Shit’s about to get medieval…will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: impeeza

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 334913

Look like just another revision of rcm-x86.

Soler37

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
With a name like TrinketX86 it would be a gosh darn shame if it weren’t exactly what you need to chip a V1 Switch. Looks very clean. I think we discussed this one in the mattytrog thread a while back.

I‘m doing another V1 for a friend. Here’s the digitizer freshly removed. Be careful of the cables on the right hand of the screen while you’re wrenching the glass of the front BTW. All told it takes about 5 mins to remove cleanly at 300 degrees.
Oh I'm sure it will take me much more than 5 mins, this would be my first time doing this sort of thing, I'm kind of nervous as i don't want to ruin my newly purchased device, I am only doing this because the screen is really scratched and taking it to a shop here is way too expensive, more than half the price I purchased my 2nd hand Switch,
Would you recommend using a heat gun or a heated pillow? the heat gun is from AliExpress.
1667259541742.png
1667259574927.png

Regarding the heated pillow, I mean something like what iFixit has with their iOpener but not that, instead, one of those filled with grains:
1667259689408.png

Attachments

• 1667259560006.png
    1667259560006.png
    3 KB · Views: 24

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I'm sure it will take me much more than 5 mins, this would be my first time doing this sort of thing, I'm kind of nervous as i don't want to ruin my newly purchased device, I am only doing this because the screen is really scratched and taking it to a shop here is way too expensive, more than half the price I purchased my 2nd hand Switch,
Would you recommend using a heat gun or a heated pillow? the heat gun is from AliExpress.
View attachment 335090View attachment 335092

Regarding the heated pillow, I mean something like what iFixit has with their iOpener but not that, instead, one of those filled with grains:
View attachment 335093
I would get the air gun. That one is really low end but for this single use it will probably do. You’re just melting double sided tape and if you jack it up it’s on a screen you don’t want to keep anyway so there’s that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill