Enterchrishikari

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

So I’m just trying to get an understanding of all the different switches out there and how they’re able to be hacked.

For example we have the day one consoles that can and always will be able to be hacked. So does that mean for these switches you don’t have to worry about the firmware you’re on? You could always update without a worry?

Then we have the patched consoles. Can those only run CFW on 4.1? That means you can’t run anything that requires a higher firmware then that?

Lastly we have those that are completely unhackable.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something?

Thank you.

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does that mean for these switches you don’t have to worry about the firmware you’re on? You could always update without a worry?
Currently all unpatched units can run CFW up to 8.1. It's recommended not to update immediately once a new update releases as it will likely break CFW. You then need to wait for CFW support on that FW version.

Can those only run CFW on 4.1? That means you can’t run anything that requires a higher firmware then that?
Yes, but you can run Emunand up to 8.1 which will let you play the latest games.

If you're brand new I'd highly recommend getting an unpatched unit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lastly we have those that are completely unhackable.

Any ipatched unit above 4.1. For now...

Last edited by stephrk398,
Reactions: Lacius

Enterchrishikari

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently all unpatched units can run CFW up to 8.1. It's recommended not to update immediately once a new update releases as it will likely break CFW. You then need to wait for CFW support on that FW version.

Yes, but you can run Emunand up to 8.1 which will let you play the latest games.

If you're brand new I'd highly recommend getting an unpatched unit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any ipatched unit above 4.1. For now...

thanks for responding! I was a bit confused but I think I got it now

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow this guide for exploring your exploit options: https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/choosinganexploit
  1. If your Switch is unpatched, it's forever hackable regardless of system version. However, as stated above, CFW like Atmosphere usually requires an update before it's compatible with a new system version, and you will usually have to wait a few days or more before you can use a new system version on an unpatched system. Atmosphere is currently compatible with all system versions (as of this post, 8.1.0 and lower).
  2. If your Switch is ipatched, it can only be hacked right now if it's on 4.1.0 and has never connected to the internet. Patched systems on 5.0.0-7.0.1 might be hackable in the distant future. Patched systems on 8.0.0 and higher might never be hackable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1