Hacking difference between ios reloading and alt dol

Clock Work

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi im writing an all purpose user manual for hacked wiis and i need just a small clarifcation on something technical,

what is the difference between ios reloading games and alt dols?

for some reason i think they're are almost the same thing but i just wanted the scoop before i finish the guide and distribute it.

any body who can help me out here will be forever blessed by the WII gods
smile.gif

Clock Work

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thanks for the answer, but i think it was obvious that i knew that much because i was able to post the question in the first place.

i really need something more technical than that.

aren't alt dols the solution to get around ios reloading games?
or atleast wasnt that the solution back when usb loader gx was around rev 650 - 700, before they put in the "Block IOS Reloading" feature?

i know they are related to each other but im unsure of the exact relationship between them.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IOS reloading - where a game/app has code to make it change the IOS it is running on
Alt DOL - where you start a game with multiple DOL files, but choose a different one to the default one. (e.g. in MP Trilogy, instead of loading menu DOL, you can load the MP1 DOL to jump striaght to MP1, MP2 DOL to go straight to MP2 etc.)

These are two COMPLETELY different things, and if you dont know these, you shouldnt be writing a Wii Hacking Guide, as you clearly know nothing about actual hacking, just using other peoples hacks (which were designed for homebrew) and using them for piracy. And really, there are enough of thos epic fail guides around.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Everything SifJar said, expect for being an ass. Block IOS reloading and loading an alternative dol are used for the same thing; to make the game to use a cIOS all the time and therefore keeping things functional. Block IOS reload is just much more sophisticated way to do it than alt. dol, which is kinda hacky. Of course you can use it for MP trilogy to boot straight to your preferred game but that's not what it was created for. SifJar, for being such an awesome hacker you are, you should know that?

Clock Work

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar & roku93, thank you both for your response, i appreaciate the time you took to answer my question.

and no SifJar, i did not crack the wii myself and no im not coding my own applications for the wii, but then again i dont think you are either, or is your name really waninkoko?

im writing the guide for my own friends, whom i have hacked their wiis for them, and i dont want to be bothered every time they have a question.

im not writing it for a developer or someone who knows what they are doing, im writing it so that these people can keep their hacked wiis going without ever bothering me for an answer.

Sooooo......

Roku, it seems that block ios & alt dol accomplish the same thing in a different way, loading hermes cios222/223, and thats all i really needed to know, so i could breifly describe them in the manual.
however im sure there is more to the story, but for my little guide thats enough.

also SifJar, since there are so many "Epic Fail" guides out there, you should be commending me for not stealing theirs and actually writing my own.

and if anybodies actually intrested, heres what i got so far:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xi1tdd

i think im posting this unfinished work simply to prove SifJar wrong, but who knows maybe it will just prove him right instead?

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your little guide you explain what the disc channel is. Which poses two questions in my mind.

1. What asshole wants his wii softmod'd that doesnt even know what the disc channel is?

2. If you're taking the time to explain something as basic as the disc channel, why the hell are you so worried about the inner workings of two barely used options? It's like putting physics in a 2nd grade math book.

Red-Blue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ossot said:
In your little guide you explain what the disc channel is. Which poses two questions in my mind.

1. What asshole wants his wii softmod'd that doesnt even know what the disc channel is?

2. If you're taking the time to explain something as basic as the disc channel, why the hell are you so worried about the inner workings of two barely used options? It's like putting physics in a 2nd grade math book.

The same reason battery slots still use +/- drawings instead of simple +/- signs. Cut the guys some slack, I'd be happy if my friend would take the time to make me a guide.

Not only that, atleast he has the decency to explain the 'simple things' like the Disc channel, instead of leaving it half-done.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your battery analogy is flawed sir. It'd be like the battery slot having the picture along with a brief description of what electrons are.

However, ya. Guy seems to be going above and beyond for his buddies. He needs a hobby or something tbh.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
roku93 said:
Everything SifJar said, expect for being an ass. Block IOS reloading and loading an alternative dol are used for the same thing; to make the game to use a cIOS all the time and therefore keeping things functional. Block IOS reload is just much more sophisticated way to do it than alt. dol, which is kinda hacky. Of course you can use it for MP trilogy to boot straight to your preferred game but that's not what it was created for. SifJar, for being such an awesome hacker you are, you should know that?

Didnt say I was a hacker, did I? I just said he probably wasnt, and his guide probably isnt anything to do with hacking, more likely to do with installing other people's hacks. And I know alt-dol was created for other things, but thats the first thing that came to mind, that wasnt related to piracy, which I disapprove of.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
Right he does not need to be judged by a bunch of assholes (nor do any of us) to help his friends does he need NEWB PERMISSIONS? i dont think so and ill fuckin go at it with any mother fucker here if you feel like arguing im your huckleberry
wink.gif
but asking for advice on forum rather than just Shooting a PM to a valuable member (wiipower or xzxero above whos guide really is all most users need i reccomend having a look might save you time even so...Others could have linked you rather than judging you) was prob not a gr8 plan to ask in a thread seems your ratio of retard spikes dramaticly lol... Its not your fault that most of the KIDS HERE who dont contribute wanna give you shit for a guide that has nothing to do with them (is being made for others use and if they dont like that they have NO OPPINION at all about the matter) and no one is forcing it upon them...But thats how these lil children get there jollies....

GBATEMP is a gr8 website with a vast amount of data and because of that we have our share of people who dont contribute but like to judge those who DO...Your best bet is simply to click on the name of a valid contributor like XZXERO and WIIPOWER and HOWARDC and CYREX ect ect and just skim through the posts they have made it saves weeding through the lil cockbite's and twatflaps you will surely attract with a new thread

Just do your thing bro and FUCK all these hater assholes...If you contribute enough they wont have room to say shit...THATS RIGHT YOU LIL ASSHOLES GOOGLE ME and run your mouth while your wii uses a theme by The Wii Theme Team...

(point being you lil newbies i do have room to talk ...Ive been in the dreamcast and psp homebrew scenes..Unless you have done as much as a fellow poster to contribute its best you learn to respect EVEN NEW FOLKS who do...YOU LIL 12 year olds are the ones who suffer when you run your trap to contributors NOT THE DEV...so keep that in mind...

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is really every topic on this board going to a flame war ? ...
Seriously, contribute or don't reply at all (this wasn't directed at anyone specific).

Anyway, I think its a good idea to make a guide yourself actually, cause you fully understand what you write (thus making it easier to explain things).
wink.gif

But you can still count on our own guides (which I conveniently listed here). All guides are equal in value (as the creators spent much time creating them).
The Creators of the guides will explain things if you leave a reply in their topic (At least, they should).

Of course there are other top-contributors as well. In theory, you should get answers if you PM them
smile.gif

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
a rational comment Tj_cool and i appoligize for my rant i just get so tired of seeing people gang up on the new guy in these forums when if they would just be nice and help rather than Judging them the instant they post looking for flaw in every last word...Everyone could get on swimingly with no problems...

Sorry to let the red head get the best of me cool
frown.gif
ill try and tone that down or keep to myself m8 np..I have alot of respect for you here on gbatemp and your posts...

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
vettacossx said:
a rational comment Tj_cool and i appoligize for my rant i just get so tired of seeing people gang up on the new guy in these forums when if they would just be nice and help rather than Judging them the instant they post looking for flaw in every last word...Everyone could get on swimingly with no problems...

Sorry to let the red head get the best of me cool
frown.gif
ill try and tone that down or keep to myself m8 np..I have alot of respect for you here on gbatemp and your posts...
I said it wasn't directed to anyone directly
wink.gif

And I have no problems with you giving your opinion
There are many people here that post useless things and everyone gets mad sometimes
smile.gif

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i feel like i fit the bill you describe from time to time because i just feel obligated to say something i suppose...thanks for understanding and as i said i will try to take your post into account when i post...You are very much the voice of reason here thats certain..

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vettacossx said:
KIDS HERE...But thats how these lil children....

THATS RIGHT YOU LIL ASSHOLES GOOGLE ME and run your mouth while your wii uses a theme by The Wii Theme Team...

YOU LIL 12 year olds are

Only mature and psychologically and emotionally secure individuals have to continually call someone they disagree with a child. Anyone posting on the internet that's in anyway combative is obviously a 7 year old. Adults never disagree and are in no way opinionated. One of the signs of aforementioned stable grownups is an ego so large it can barely contain itself. If you don't believe me, GOOGLE IT!

PS: I have never had even the slightest desire to run a theme on my Wii.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Adults never disagree and are in no way opinionated...

oh yeah it sounds like it by your post there SON....btw im 28 years old married with a REAL LIFE AND YES most of the children that come here are the reason this forum is littered with people frustrated just like me or the original poster (you know people who bother to contribute and have to deal with twatflaps like YOU on a regular basis...) WTF did you ever contribute? thats what i thought...

See TJ_COOL this is exactly what im talking bout man...these kids need to spanked and put into there room with a read-me file to think about what they have done! lol whats that? oh keep it up and no dinner for the newb! rofl now on to the ever so called for clarification lol
QUOTEOn-topic of your poor pysch evaluation of a charismatic non-follower.....if you must know...
BETTER RECHECK THE DSM-1 MIGHT WANT TO CHECK INTO DSM-4 you a bit behind my super arrogantly grammar proper friend because ive took psych in CC to lmao ill do this with any of you fucks all day long
tongue.gif

MY POINT IS....if these KIDS learned to simply read the god damn mother fucking read-me file, maybe use a bit of idunno "common sense" I wouldnt have to be the Opinionated adult...

PS: apparently you dont know alot of red heads...or New Yorkers ...See i am NOT the spineless jelly fish you are...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0