"Didn't I"?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's the rule of inversion in questions - to create a question, you can invert the original sentence and negate it. To make it more simple, you ommit the main object. It works both ways, actually - for negative as well as positive sentences.

I did do the dishes, didn't I?
I didn't dent your car door, did I?
He does make a point, doesn't he?
She doesn't like this colour, does she?

It does make perfect grammatical sense, and it extends to "did I not", not "did not I" as you claim, simply because it is inverted. This is enforced as to fit into the general rule regarding this kind of sentences.

"Do" in elliptical sentences

Reactions: 4 people

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
English is notorious for the many exceptions and oddities in its rules in grammar and pronunciation. This is a small thing compared to the other weird stuff.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did not I is perfectly acceptable; it's simply older English vernacular. I literally remember the freshman English course I took wherein I had learnt this.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe the switch is related to the contraction being used in a question.

Didn't I? = Did I not?
I didn't. = I did not.
It works that way due to word order rules. You can negate did by using did not (didn't), but you cannot negate I with I'nt - there's no such thing. ;) You have to place the negation in its logical place depending on the sentence.

Negations don't follow nouns, in this case, they follow the auxiliary verb.

Did not I is perfectly acceptable; it's simply older English vernacular. I literally remember the freshman English course I took wherein I had learnt this.
That kind of use of language is called an Archaism, it's acceptable, but not necessarily desirable depending on the context. ;)

Jesus saith to her: Did not I say to thee, that if thou believe, thou shalt see the glory of God?
~John 11:40

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: