Did the gameboy die?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by blackdragonbaham, Sep 23, 2009.

Sep 23, 2009

Did the gameboy die? by blackdragonbaham at 10:59 AM (2,693 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. blackdragonbaham
    OP

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i heard that the nintendo ds is not meant to be the replacement for the gameboy system, but just a alternate handheld of nintendo. there are a few signs for that, for example a official statement of nintendo at the release in which they demented this fact, an other example is that the ds is not listet in the gameboy line of wikipedia, but in en alternativ article for ds.

so will nintento release new gameboy models paralell to the nintendo ds development? or did the original gameboy concept die out in the end?
    how could a new gameboy be designed and featured to be lucrative next to the profitable nintendo ds system?

2. Matt140

Member Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    The GBA did die as a game hasen't been released in years. Not only that, theres no reason for them to put time into developing a new form of the GBA simply because the DS is alot superior (Touch Screen & 3D graphics sounds alot more appealing than 2D Graphics and a few buttons).

3. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    The gba could render 3d as well....

4. blackdragonbaham
    OP

Germany
    but new consoles always come up with new features or updated functions, so what if nintendo would not only bring out a gameboy model with 2 d graphics, but would try to establish a multimedia system like the sony psp, with only one big lcd screen and superior graphic standart? so they would again focuse on a new group of customers:.

5. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Absolutely. With the Nintendo DS enjoying massive success it wouldn't be wise to introduce another Gameboy model. However, I think saying that "the DS isn't going to replace the Gameboy", was some kind of safety net. If the DS failed they could've introduced another Gameboy model.

6. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    It's just a word. For all intents and purposes the DS IS the new Gameboy.

7. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    but people stil play it

yesterday i saw someone playing gameboy color in the subway

8. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I still use it to read. And watch Invader Zim.

9. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    I agree.....I think they just dropped the name! But DS is still compatible with GBA games, and I believe when next generation of handhelds come, it will be new DS with compatibility to play original DS games (I don't think of DSi as next generation)

10. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    The DSi is not a next gen handheld. And yes, as I looked myself as a Nintendo employee, for example, I would drop the gameboy because it was updated already.

The DS is the next gameboy.

THE DSi IS NOT A NEXT GEN HANDHELD as explained in the interview by Satoru Iwata

11. blackdragonbaham
    OP

Germany
    i think on the one hand you are absolutely right, the ds has a giant success and it is very lucrative for nintendo, but on the other hand, to bring out an alternative ds model, which loses his compability to gba games, while the ds purchases are still great was also first a questianable decision, but the request is big. and i would wonder if big n, with the constant marketing-policy to expand the circle of people who are interested in their products, would not try to reach the people who perhaps are looking forward to a updated classicle gameboy modell:. :-/

12. Matt140

Member Matt140 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It is extremely unlikely that Nintendo will ever revive the Gameboy name, they may add GBA games to DSiWare or have a slot for GBA games in future handhelds (probably won't happen) but I seriously doubt a new Gameboy-specific console.

13. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    maybe we will get
    ds pocket
    ds super color
    ds advance ^^

14. Rogue Trader

Member Rogue Trader GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The GBA is gone but not forgotten-while it will never say any more releases etc, it's still very popular in places. Still, the name will probably stick around-I still refer to my DS as a Game Boy sometimes.

Also, surely the pocket and colour were the same generation (along with the original game boy), similar to how the GBA went SP then micro, and the DS went 'lite' and then 'i'.

I imagine the next one will be a big leap forward-but it won't be for a while-look how long the last handhelds lasted- three generations took 20 years.

15. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    The GBA is dead; the failure of the Micro proved that they can't market the two consoles side by side.

Releasing a new console under the Game Boy name, hm if I had to guess I'd say it's unlikely. The DS dropped the Game Boy name for a reason, it was intended to reach out to a wider audience than the Game Boy and it worked. Seeing as the DS still attracted the old Game Boy audience I don't see why they'd go back to the old name.

16. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    A lot of you seem to be posting about whether PREVIOUS Gameboy models are dead. I think the topic is concerning the brand name Gameboy. Past Gameboy consoles are dead, of course.

As for the name, I don't know. I think they may just phase it out. Although "Gameboy" is the pinnacle of handheld gaming. It's produced the best handheld games ever and some of the largest franchises and games in general.

I guess they're trying to throw "Nintendo" out there more than other names. It's the NINTENDO Wii. It's the NINTENDO DS.

17. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I just put new batteries in my Gameboy Colour, works fine.

18. hughjass

Member hughjass GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    har de har

19. Injury

Newcomer Injury Member

United States
    I was at a show one time at my friends house and someone had brought their old Game Boy unit with the Game Boy camera game in it. Not only does it have a camera, it had a sequencer built into it. He used it throughout the show.

In conclusion: Game Boy isn't dead.

I want mine back!

20. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    It was a non-living thing to begin with.