Diablo 3 open beta :)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is far more than a "stress test" or an "open beta". Blizzard is a cruel junkie, letting people "sample" just enough of their product to get hooked; when they come crawling back for more, Blizzard will be more than happy to provide... at a price.

Blizzard, you magnificent bastards, I read your book!

D

Deleted User

This is far more than a "stress test" or an "open beta". Blizzard is a cruel junkie, letting people "sample" just enough of their product to get hooked; when they come crawling back for more, Blizzard will be more than happy to provide... at a price.

7 years of wow, and I hate the fucking game, Glad I was able to quit
However blizzard has me back for heart of the swarm and D3.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I eventually got to play due to the servers being busy, i like this, Big Time.

Graphics are very good, very detailed, controls are responsive and the game overall feels just right, a definate purchase for me.

D

Deleted User

I eventually got to play due to the servers being busy, i like this, Big Time.

Graphics are very good, very detailed, controls are responsive and the game overall feels just right, a definate purchase for me.
Don't say that on v, they would flip their shit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently if you get a year subscription to WoW or something you get Diablo III for free too.

So you'll probably commit suicide trying to decide which game to waste the next thousand hours of your life on.

I think Blizzard is responsible for the most video game related deaths.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted User

Apparently if you get a year subscription to WoW or something you get Diablo III for free too.

So you'll probably commit suicide trying to decide which game to waste the next thousand hours of your life on.

They also give you MoP beta, so you have something to play while you wait 8 months for something to do in WoW.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Considering server side games are generally beta tested in large quantities of players in order to ensure consistent connection and a launch day uptime of at least 24 hours before having down time to do bug fixes and whatnot, it's not like they can give away the entire game in a beta setting because that costs money to host the data on their servers and puts more strain on the system with people trying to constantly download it and play through it. Also, they have to bug test the entire game to ensure it works on day one. They need people to "sample" the game in order to ensure their servers work properly, otherwise you are going to have millions of pissed off customers on day 1. So the sample makes a whole lot of sense, it's not some scheming marketing trick. If they want to sell the game, they aren't going to offer customers the chance to play the entire thing in beta, otherwise there would be spoilers galore and no one would want to actually buy it. Every part of the game outside the first main quest is tested in house, they are not obligated to give away the entire game while it's in beta.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well i feel with all the "hater" in the battle net forum ...
It is not a bad game still can't see how anyone can say its better than D2 which it really doesn't seem to be ...

no distributable atribute points - suck
no skill points - suck
no different builds due to lack of skil and atribute distribution - suck
(witch doc) no melee attack oO - suck
skills are locked to specific keys - suck
no runes - sucks
(not sure?) didn't find any items with sockets nor any Gems ins the beta - suck

well okay there ARE actually some good things like them adding smithing even thaught i am not sure if
this is actually really good or will be just some stupid shit noone will ever need in the game yet.
Changing skills with the "runes" well it's not that bad of a feature but i assume everyone might use the same ones in the end anyways.
Grafic is not bad and some nice ideas with falling walls and stuff ...

Still i wouldn't pay ~60€ for this game, i will wait for Torchlight 2 which i assume is basicaly the same if not even better and is only ~20€

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Considering server side games are generally beta tested in large quantities of players in order to ensure consistent connection and a launch day uptime of at least 24 hours before having down time to do bug fixes and whatnot, it's not like they can give away the entire game in a beta setting because that costs money to host the data on their servers and puts more strain on the system with people trying to constantly download it and play through it. Also, they have to bug test the entire game to ensure it works on day one. They need people to "sample" the game in order to ensure their servers work properly, otherwise you are going to have millions of pissed off customers on day 1. So the sample makes a whole lot of sense, it's not some scheming marketing trick. If they want to sell the game, they aren't going to offer customers the chance to play the entire thing in beta, otherwise there would be spoilers galore and no one would want to actually buy it. Every part of the game outside the first main quest is tested in house, they are not obligated to give away the entire game while it's in beta.

...You realize that was a joke, right? I think it's fair to say no one here is struggling with the concept of a beta or a stress test.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

Makes me wonder how long it will take before The Old Republic exceeds that amount.
on another note, lovely, 9 years watiing for D3 to appear, now it's about time and the
beta dissappointed me completely. it's nothing like Diablo II, it's not even open enough to be compared with Diablo II, the only thing thats good about Diablo III is the graphics and the story

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried playing it like two nights ago, and there were tons of server problems.

I played it last night with three friends and it ran perfectly. I played a Demon Hunter (Going to play in the real game) to level 5 by myself, then a Witch Doctor with my friends. We beat the entire act/beta in like 20-30 minutes, and I loved every second of it.

We had a ton of fun. I just can't wait for the real game.

Edit:

7 years of wow, and I hate the fucking game, Glad I was able to quit
However blizzard has me back for heart of the swarm and D3.

It's funny because everyone I know who has played the game for 5 years+, they claim they hate the game, yet they still play it.

I played the game on and off for many years, and I haven't played since the first month of Wrath of the Lich King. I had fun with the game, but quitting it was one of the best things that I've ever done. I don't really see how you can hate a game that you've played for seven years...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting Youkai- if it does turn out like that (and given we are at open beta stage....) I can see why they might have gone for it (complexity it not always the friend of the game developer looking to make a proper mass market affair and trying to wind a story into that is even worse). The only problem is they are one of the few that make proper multiplayer dungeon crawlers these days (I was well looking forward to some nice co-op action last year* and ended up with dungeon siege 3 which was OK but not what those that played the earlier entries expected and Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale which we do not mention in polite company) and as much as I like such games they are so much better with someone on the same LAN as you also inducing RSI.
Indeed outside of plundering some of the Russian games that last thing I can think of that did it properly was Sacred 2 (Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale I am not counting and LOTR war in the north was OK but not a diablo killer or indeed fully fledged dungeon crawler).

To be fair I was not really set to play this* partially on principle (that online stuff does not sit right with me) and partially because it did not make a great impression as the months dragged on. *actively avoiding/"boycotting" is not something I would go in for but probably another I guess I did not play it when it came out and never got around to it.

Guess I will wait for Sacred 3 or see whatever the next game in the fate series is like (although FATE: The Cursed King did not seem to do well).

*I quite liked the first templar and it was probably one of the more enjoyable co-op titles of last year with Hunted: The Demon's Forge being an interesting effort that fell short as well but neither could really be called a dungeon crawler. I did not play cursed crusade either or much of demon's souls let alone online so I can not comment there and Two worlds 2 was back at full RPG (also online only) and none were what one might call classic dungeon crawler.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?