Diablo 3 Expansion Announced

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What 12 year old mechanics does PoE use lol
The freaking inventory, is an exact copy of the d2 inventory.

If I want to equip any item I need to left click it, go to the slot it should be and then left click again.

Right click doesn't work, double click doesn't work; we are in 2013 and none of those two options works, hell there are games that auto equip new item drops if they are better than the current ones.
Instead they choose to use the most primitive way of inventory.

That's one example of the developers trying hard to make the game with a nostalgia feeling.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hell there are games that auto equip new item drops if they are better than the current ones

Hmm, I had thought we had got past that sort of thing in games and moved on weapons with wildly varying play styles, even within a broad weapon class. Castlevania and Borderlands (even if it did it somewhat covertly) being two good examples.

Having not so much as seen D3 or PoE run at any length (indeed I had not heard of PoE before this thread) I shall vanish back into the background.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile

If I want to equip any item I need to left click it, go to the slot it should be and then left click again.

Right click doesn't work, double click doesn't work; we are in 2013 and none of those two options works, hell there are games that auto equip new item drops if they are better than the current ones.

That's one example of the developers trying hard to make the game with a nostalgia feeling.

that my friend, is called a casual game.
in Borderlands 2 for example(which is more or less a FP Diablo 1) you need to go to the inventory and select the weapon you want to equip and in which slot. there are a easy way to equip new loot though, you can simply long press E(square on PS3, X on X360) to replace you currently equipped item, if your inventory is full you drop the replaced one. but the standard way is what I said first.

EDIT: just remembered, on Diablo 1/2(not sure about 3, I haven't played it) you can open the inventory and equip immediately whatever is on the floor.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The online auction house really did make the whole grinding experience trivial. Also, not being able to swap specs when you had full stacks of Nephalem Valor was fucking stupid. The game was enjoyable at release, by the time I had closed in on act 3 on Inferno, they had nerfed demon hunters into the ground so you couldn't solo Diablo without a crap ton of good gear. All of my friends stopped playing it a few months after release because the amount of grinding required to either get the gold to buy better gear or to actually get the drops you need to progress is a huge pain in the ass. You pretty much were forced to do full group runs in order to get good items because the drops solo were fucking tripe.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country

Is it really that hard to left click again, rather than right clicking?

And D2 has right click to drink potions and auto sell items, PoE actually has a less functional inventory.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually am excited about the expansion. Loot 2.0 is something I'm looking forward to. In fact, the expansion announcement got me to start playing again. I have a 60/13 Demon Hunter, and so far I have cleared up to MP1 Inferno. I've been playing through the whole game one monster power at a time to make sure I don't just jump into an incredibly difficult difficulty. I really want to get a Hellfire ring for my Crusader (and other characters) once the expansion is released.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The last time I truly played D3 was back in December. I had gotten loot for months prior, sold valuables on the RMAH, paid off my Wii U, and haven't gone back since. I'd log in now and then, just to see if any of my friends are on, but in all honesty, I've grown tired of the game insomuch that attempting to go back and play it hurts me, literally. Maybe it's because my main was a Monk......

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it really that hard to left click again, rather than right clicking?

And D2 has right click to drink potions and auto sell items, PoE actually has a less functional inventory.
it is annoying to go "back in time" on a new game just because of the laziness of the developers.

and you are just proving my point, a new game from 2013 has a less functional inventory than a old ass 2000 game.

games should strive to go forward, not backwards - unless they are trying to get a retro feeling.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The online auction house really did make the whole grinding experience trivial. Also, not being able to swap specs when you had full stacks of Nephalem Valor was fucking stupid. The game was enjoyable at release, by the time I had closed in on act 3 on Inferno, they had nerfed demon hunters into the ground so you couldn't solo Diablo without a crap ton of good gear. All of my friends stopped playing it a few months after release because the amount of grinding required to either get the gold to buy better gear or to actually get the drops you need to progress is a huge pain in the ass. You pretty much were forced to do full group runs in order to get good items because the drops solo were fucking tripe.

To my eye various things in there either counteract each other or read like good game design, assuming you want to make people team up for multiplayer (which you do if you have forced a single player game online) and want people to invest the time or money to complete the game where they might be able to burn through it otherwise. Beyond that most of those read like things that only happen at end stage runs of the game which is even better.

If nothing else Sacred 3 should be along before too long.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my eye various things in there either counteract each other or read like good game design, assuming you want to make people team up for multiplayer (which you do if you have forced a single player game online) and want people to invest the time or money to complete the game where they might be able to burn through it otherwise. Beyond that most of those read like things that only happen at end stage runs of the game which is even better.

If nothing else Sacred 3 should be along before too long.
Earlier today I solo'd Diablo (on my Demon Hunter) in Inferno MP1 without having to use the RMAH, and I didn't need to use a health pot once. So I suggest he tries again. But yeah, you're right Fast, he's upset that he has to actually put in time and effort for awesome gear. Which is a good thing, in my opinion. I agree the Nephalem Valor thing is annoying, though. Especially since my only hatred spender is not that good for bosses that move, like The Butcher and Diablo.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
let's say there is a reason why MANY ! old D2 players do not like D3 .... should be enough of a reason to believe they somehow messed up there ...

I wanted to buy the game at first but because it was 10€ more than any other game I did not, then I could play a few days with a friend's account (he stopped playing after a week) and I hardly played a day and got bored ...

Except for the for me not appealing skill system I can't even tell why exactly I didn't like it but it was just plain boring and unappealing for me.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let's say there is a reason why MANY ! old D2 players do not like D3 .... should be enough of a reason to believe they somehow messed up there ...

I wanted to buy the game at first but because it was 10€ more than any other game I did not, then I could play a few days with a friend's account (he stopped playing after a week) and I hardly played a day and got bored ...

Except for the for me not appealing skill system I can't even tell why exactly I didn't like it but it was just plain boring and unappealing for me.
"Many old D2 players" That's the problem. Diablo 2 is an old game. Diablo 2 released 13 years ago, and is still running. How exactly is Diablo 3 supposed to live up to a game that people have spent hundreds, even thousands of hours playing? Simple: it can't. Nostalgia is too strong to not hold onto. Nowadays, sequels rarely shine brighter than their previous installments.

Now, I'm not saying Diablo 3 is perfect; it's far from it. But it is still a good game. And many of the problems Diablo 3 faces, Diablo 2 did/does as well.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
"Many old D2 players" That's the problem. Diablo 2 is an old game. Diablo 2 released 13 years ago, and is still running. How exactly is Diablo 3 supposed to live up to a game that people have spent hundreds, even thousands of hours playing? Simple: it can't. Nostalgia is too strong to not hold onto. Nowadays, sequels rarely shine brighter than their previous installments.

Now, I'm not saying Diablo 3 is perfect; it's far from it. But it is still a good game. And many of the problems Diablo 3 faces, Diablo 2 did/does as well.
I don't like not having an offhand weapon, and the skill tree is shit, but apart from that it isn't that bad.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like not having an offhand weapon, and the skill tree is shit, but apart from that it isn't that bad.
3/5 (soon to be 3/6, I'm guessing) classes can dual-wield. The ones who can't are casters. What's the point of having an offhand weapon when you are only using spells, other than a(n) (I forgot the term used for a weapon that is used purely for stats).

And why is the skill tree shit? Because it doesn't have synergies that severely limit the effectiveness of most skills anyway?

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
3/5 (soon to be 3/6, I'm guessing) classes can dual-wield. The ones who can't are casters. What's the point of having an offhand weapon when you are only using spells, other than a(n) (I forgot the term used for a weapon that is used purely for stats).

And why is the skill tree shit? Because it doesn't have synergies that severely limit the effectiveness of most skills anyway?
Because it is tiny, meaning everyone uses the same builds.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you ever played Diablo 2, you'd know that each class only had a handful of different builds that were even effective. At least with Diablo 3 the different runes could drastically affect your playstyle.

Also, why does it matter what other builds people use? The only time you should care about other peoples' builds is if you party with them, but if the builds of random strangers that join your game or that are in games you join, make a private game and ask for different builds.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually d2 had only a hand full of builds that were viable for pve, then a hand full for pvp.

Most of them were based on specific items, and if you didn't have them you could not even try those builds.

The skill tree was better than in d3, the synergies and the items with +x to specific skill/skill tree yet the dynamic skill runes does gives you versatility for each class, if for some reason you get an item that works better with a different skill you don't have to reroll the whole char.

and the nephalem valor does restrict you from changing before bosses so you need some strategy for pve/boss runs

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
If you ever played Diablo 2, you'd know that each class only had a handful of different builds that were even effective. At least with Diablo 3 the different runes could drastically affect your playstyle.

Also, why does it matter what other builds people use? The only time you should care about other peoples' builds is if you party with them, but if the builds of random strangers that join your game or that are in games you join, make a private game and ask for different builds.
When I played D2 I just used whatever build I thought of (I was around 5 y/o). I still beat nightmare.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Earlier today I solo'd Diablo (on my Demon Hunter) in Inferno MP1 without having to use the RMAH, and I didn't need to use a health pot once. So I suggest he tries again. But yeah, you're right Fast, he's upset that he has to actually put in time and effort for awesome gear. Which is a good thing, in my opinion. I agree the Nephalem Valor thing is annoying, though. Especially since my only hatred spender is not that good for bosses that move, like The Butcher and Diablo.

I tried to clear Inferno even on MP0 and couldn't get through act 4 a few months ago. You know what the biggest problem is? Some of those elite mobs later in the game having absurd ability combos that destroy you. I got sick of being gibbbed by Fast Horde Teleporter Extra Health types of mobs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk