DEX cFW update to reBUG cFW 4.21 problem

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by kylster, Nov 4, 2012.

?

Have you converted your console to DEX from CEX?

1. Yes... I love it more

16.7%
  2. Yes.. I wish I had stayed on CEX

16.7%
  3. Yes. It's no different then when I was on CEX but I'm still happy

16.7%
  4. No... I hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No.. I wish I could convert it to DEX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No. I do not care to convert it to DEX

50.0%
Nov 4, 2012
  1. kylster
    OP

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    My PS3 has been converted over to DEX & currently running NewDEXKamel.PUP cFW & I would like to install REBUG_4.21.1_REX onto it however my PS3 is giving me an error message "firmware corrupt" when trying to install REBUG 4.21.1 cfw from either XMB or Recovery Menu. I have installed Rebug QA flag but when I run it my PS3 just hangs there (black screen) I have to manually pull the power cord to turn it off. From my understanding after running Rebug QA your console is suppose to reset correct? It also seems I have no need for the "999 downgrader" but do I? I can't seem to find any useful guide on how to install this w/o preloader, is this the only way to get it onto DEX consoles? Should I use that special PUP that converts my PS3 back to CEX and try from there?

Also this is not the only firmware this does it to; I've tried Rebug 3.55.2 DEX mod and it also gives the same error.

Could someone also explain what this means:
    From XMB install REBUG 4.21.1 REX EDITION over any 3.55 OFW/CFW/MFW or the same or lower firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched or any firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched and QA enabled.
    I copied that from the rebug site but google is not showing anything useful.

Help is greatly appreciated in this mattter. Thanks.

NewDEXKamel.PUP hashes:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    REBUG 3.55.2 DEX hashes:
    REBUG 4.21.1_REX hashes:

2. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    kylster likes this.
  3. kylster
    OP

United States
    I thought it said you could install over any CEX/DEX cfw?

Also would you advise using the special pup that converts PS3 DEX to CEX for install of cfw like KMEAW?

4. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    No that's not possible at least not yet
    You will have to downgrade to 3.55 Dex i recommend Rogero 3.55 DEX
    And then revert back to CEX as you can update from 3.55 Rogero 3.7 CEX to Rebug 4.21 CFW :)

And be sure to keep backup of your NOR or Nand because there is a big possibility of bricking your PS3 (Full Brick)
    You can do that through Multiman but there are also a lot of other ways to do that.
    I do not recommend Multiman though because Multiman's backups are not the best and there is a big bricking possibility again :/

kylster likes this.
  5. kylster
    OP

United States
  6. Reploid

Member Reploid GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    This one is just messem up DEX FW . Your flash still will have DEX data within so I guess that will surely lead to a problems (Well as I heard. I wonder if there is a way to check). I stuck on DEX too, cause I really afraid of bricking anything, since I have only PSP to unbrick, but that's may not work.
    Maybe some day I'll pull myself together and do convert back. Instruction in the first answer is the best so far. It formats HDD, so keep your saves safe.
    PS They keep 3.55 fixes comming, so DEX is beareable.

7. kylster
    OP

United States
    That sucks :( I didn't convert my console someone else did but the guides seem pretty easy yet severly undetailed with some of the early steps.

8. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Yeah i recommend you to search more and think about converting to CEX :/
    Because there is a big possibility of NAND or NOR bricking your PS3 and you will need to buy a flasher (E3 Flasher) to Unbrick your PS3

9. kylster
    OP

United States
    ugh
    uh that sucks :( but I will look into it.... also here's to hoping they have some kind of fix for dex firmware :P

10. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Well i suggest you to wait a bit as they can create a converter about these situations. :P
    And it might be safer that way :)

Well i found some useful Guides that may help you Revert back to CEX
    Follow these ones it takes you 30-40 Min to Revert :)
    http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=45455

And this is about going to Rogero and Dehash but you can either go to Rogero or Rebug
    http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3638

11. kylster
    OP

United States
    You guys are the best so do you know why it wouldn't even install the REBUG 3.55.2 DEX mod cfw?

Also the link posted earlier to the tut on dex2cex has 2 different conversion guides one does a fresh install the other does not.

My main Q is since the tut is consists of the guide that always bricks ps3 has it actually been confirmed working with the extra steps?

Reading step 1: rename your 16 MB cex flash
    Was that suppose to be made before the DEX conversion?

12. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Yep without this you wouldn't be able to convert to DEX

13. kylster
    OP

United States
    So there would be no hope of ever going back to CEX even if the community made some kind of converter like mentioned befor? Is there no way to recreate this file? or at least dump the DEX.norbin and convert it back to CEX?

14. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Nope that's why it is called backup too :P
    I kept all the files when i tried to convert to DEX and you can't even ask for a Dump (Backup) Because each PS3 has a different key :/

15. kylster
    OP

United States
    Damn that sucks oh well, I already sent a PM to the guy who converted my console but I think he did a clean install of everything. Well thanks again :) hopefully they will find a way to dump dex and convert it back to cex lol

16. Nobunaga

Member Nobunaga Empty

Greece
    Good luck with that ;)
    And No Problem if you need anything just create a thread again :P

17. Reploid

Russia
    Actually you can make another dump and convert it back to CEX with some app. I do not have to manual though. Keep me informed — i'm really intrested.
    Oh, wait. Tut by exeedy linked above inludes nececery step for recovering cex flash dumb.

18. kylster
    OP

United States
    Really I must have missed that part.... what page# did you see that on?

19. kylster
    OP

United States
    Ok so I believe I found my PS3 backup it's called my.dex-flash.eido.norbin & was in root of hdd on PS3. Is that the normal name when converting to DEX?

So I'm reading through the forums & I see some people mentioning FSM dongle & I'm unsure if it's necessary cause the guide doesn't say anything about the dongle but it does mention FactoryServiceMode & I keep thinking to myself is that the when I hold the PS3 power button till the console turns on/off then hold again untill I hear 2 beeps then let go? Anyways here is the steps I just copied & pasted from the above link. Thanks for the support.

20. Reploid

Russia
    my.dex-flash.eido.norbin is a modified dump that turned your console in DEX. Original should have CEX in it. Or it can be called flash_stor_35500.bin.
    There is a fresh manual about converting. Creator promises that its legit. I'll wait for first comments http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-g...-simply-work-sure-always-no-brick-124824.html

As for the dongle... It only needs if you bricked your PS3. It can put in service mode and recover it.

kylster likes this.