Hacking Devolution - Public Release

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
here is my problem, I rip PAL 30 games with cleanrip I precise that they are original games.
I run Devolution, the LED flashes 2 times, I insert the mini DVD, the LED flashes 4 times instead of 5 times and I return to HBC and this is for all games as well. Do not tell me that this is a bad rip or the disc is bad because it is like new.
I also try to run it with compliant loaders Devolution and the result are the same.
I have a Wii White. Could you help me find a solution?
Thank you for your help.

Do you have a modchip, sounds like a typical modchip issue.. Are you running a wiikey by chance?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D'oh, now I feel like a noob for not considering that could be the issue. I blame it on the first post for saying that 4 flashes = hard drive mounting error. :P

alucard2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hello,
I just destroy the partition with disk eraser and create a new partition with Partition Editor and I'm still not working, I always 4 LEDs that light up instead of 5.
I also format a 500GB hard drive with Partition Editor Samsung but still same 4 leds instead of 5 and return to HBC

thevoiceover yes I have seen that has a chip time it was the only way to start the backup, this is one I think wiizardmod.
You think my problem come from there?

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a stupid question: is there anything preventing devolution from displaying text on screen at the verification phase? Having the LED blink is cool and all, but its not exactly the clearest way to display information or requests to the end user.

Reactions: tmv_josue

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a stupid question: is there anything preventing devolution from displaying text on screen at the verification phase? Having the LED blink is cool and all, but its not exactly the clearest way to display information or requests to the end user.
I'd guess it's probably to do with "Devolution" being the binary blob and not therefore having influence over the GUI. Although I could be wrong.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello,
I just destroy the partition with disk eraser and create a new partition with Partition Editor and I'm still not working, I always 4 LEDs that light up instead of 5.
I also format a 500GB hard drive with Partition Editor Samsung but still same 4 leds instead of 5 and return to HBC

Just to clarify, you did create a new DOS partition table and not just a FAT32 partition, right?

Either way, yeah, that modchip will get in the way of using Devolution... now I really feel like a noob for not considering that issue.

At the very least, you can now use that 16GB flash drive as a general maintenance and rescue disc that's independent of Windows. :P

alucard2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes I did create a MSDOS partition and then create a new FAT32 partion but nothing unfortunately.
Is there a way to disable the chip and make the wii as if it was not without manipulation?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always physically remove it. :P But I'm guessing you weren't the one to install it considering you're asking us if removal is possible, so I'm wouldn't recommend doing such...

alucard2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that are accurate, it is not me who are asked but if I just cut the power wire from the chip-es that I could read my backup with GC NGC launcher? Ha if only they had put the clip as I ask instead of all welding
thank you for your help, I remove the chip and now it works perfectly.

gng4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I can't imagine the discussion has now extended to 90 pages! I hope Tueidj can read below message:

I am from Singapore, I support to play GC with original. However in the whole Asian region like us, Nintendo marketing since the first generation console Famicon, then Super Famicon, and so on, only selling Japanese version of their title games.

Here we don't speak Japanese but under no choice can only buy Japanese version originals, I myself own a few titles GC original disc such as Star Fox Adventures, I played through this game only by guess work without understanding the story plot, only knew how to go through by trial and error.

With the grateful developers for using backups we are offered a chance to play with English which not only myself but many people in Asian region can now really enjoy the game with full understanding the plot progress. However for GC the audio streaming issue which I can't play with the English version Star Fox Adventures is a regret, the release of Devolution is a great news for us in solving that, but to verify the original is impossible cos here is extremely difficult to get the English version.

I sincerely hope Tueidj can modify your software to allow verifying a different region same title GC disc, to play backup of another region, I tried but it's not working.

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sincerely hope Tueidj can modify your software to allow verifying a different region same title GC disc, to play backup of another region, I tried but it's not working.

This too is a big issue I have with the software (well it is an issue to me) as if you are emulating hardware, I think you should be able to play the software you own, regardless of region.. I think most of the games have similar ID's (i.e SMS NA = GMSE01 and EURO/PAL is GMSP01, why not accept GMS* for this? It is obviously part of the security mechanism in place, my opinion is accept the first 3 chars regardless of case. Maybe this could prevent any minor auth bugs from slipping through and let us play games regardless of region? Then again I guess video modes may come into play, but that option would be nice.

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe this could be done by using redump.org hashes and its database. Relying only on gamecode would make playing any game possible just by modifying the gamecode of an iso.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Maybe this could be done by using redump.org hashes and its database. Relying only on gamecode would make playing any game possible just by modifying the gamecode of an iso.
Unfortunately, that could be gotten around by just setting up a fake redump.org server. You'd think there would have to be some way around this problem, though.

On the other hand, I'm sure tueidj could just as well make the argument that people really should import if they want it that bad. :(

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Oh, and I finally stumbled across an actual price for one of those mini-dvd adapter rings today.
They're kinda pricey, but could be worth it.
http://www.libertyphotoproducts.com/product/adapter-mini-cd-dvd,1885,1094.htm
18-1885-Product_Primary_Image-thumb.jpg

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and I finally stumbled across an actual price for one of those mini-dvd adapter rings today.
They're kinda pricey, but could be worth it.
http://www.libertyphotoproducts.com/product/adapter-mini-cd-dvd,1885,1094.htm
18-1885-Product_Primary_Image-thumb.jpg

Errr...

Well, I found one, but it's listed as "unavailable"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PD89WI

I personally found more results by searching for '3 inch cd adapter' or '3 inch dvd adapter'

EDIT: found one that's supposedly in stock by VenMill - listed from cheapest to most expensive:
http://www.venmill.com/3-Inch-Disc-Adapter_p_1751.html
http://store.cdtagandstorage.com/3inchadapter.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZL9434

Note that in the VenMill Amazon link that GameCube discs are even mentioned in the description (though only referring to disc repair). It's my understanding that VenMill makes some sort of disc repair device, so they've made an adapter for their own product that may just happen to work with others.

darklinkpower

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! I have a question that might be dumb but anyways... Is there posibility of damaging the hard drive using devolution? I remember that I read in this thread , just when the first public release of devolution was released, that using Devolution damaged someone's hard drive/USB. Was it true? Is it aready fixed? I'd really like to use devlution but I want to be sure first :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1