Hacking Devolution - Public Release

HunterZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a reason that loader_bin.h is not included in the "source" package?

EDIT: Never mind, I see that it is generated on the fly as part of the build process. Here's what it looks like:
Code:
$ make
loader.bin
bin2s -a 32 data/loader.bin | powerpc-eabi-as -o loader.bin.o
echo "extern const u8" `(echo loader.bin | sed -e 's/^\([0-9]\)/_\1/' | tr . _)`"_end[];" > `(echo loader.bin | tr . _)`.h
echo "extern const u8" `(echo loader.bin | sed -e 's/^\([0-9]\)/_\1/' | tr . _)`"[];" >> `(echo loader.bin | tr . _)`.h
echo "extern const u32" `(echo loader.bin | sed -e 's/^\([0-9]\)/_\1/' | tr . _)`_size";" >> `(echo loader.bin | tr . _)`.h
main.c
linking ... boot.elf
output ... boot.dol
$ cat build/loader_bin.h
extern const u8 loader_bin_end[];
extern const u8 loader_bin[];
extern const u32 loader_bin_size;

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, panmusic has found that Devolution is telling him that his first-party memory cards are corrupted. I did not say that the application corrupted his cards. I already asked him about disabling the MC emulation in Wiiflow, so he is very much aware of what is going on. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. Third-party cards seem to be working correctly.

My Official Nintendo Memory Card 251 is showing up as corrupted in games with the advent of Devolution r100 as well. However, the Wii menu sees it with no issues. So some bug has cropped up.

Speculation: My guess is tueidj forgot to unlock the memory cards or something since Devolution runs in Wii mode. Though this didn't happen in r94.

I can confirm my official 1019 (white) memory card is having the same issue; appears corrupted in Devo, runs fine in every other method (disc, dios-mios, etc) regardless of loader used.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
My Official Nintendo Memory Card 251 is showing up as corrupted in games with the advent of Devolution r100 as well. However, the Wii menu sees it with no issues. So some bug has cropped up.
I can confirm my official 1019 (white) memory card is having the same issue; appears corrupted in Devo, runs fine in every other method (disc, dios-mios, etc) regardless of loader used.
Just for consistent debugging purposes, have you seen if the same workaround that worked for [member='panmusic'] works for you, too? (Just open up the memory card in Data Management in the system menu to "unlock" the card right before going into the HBC to run Devolution.) If that works that would confirm it's the exact, same problem.

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not yet, will move an iso back to the /games folder and check with gc_devo.

Unrelated request: does anyone have a save file for Resident Evil or Killer7 that is either right before or at Disc 2? Trying to test the disc switching, but I don't even have a save file that far on my physical memory card. Instead of further cluttering this thread, just feel free to PM me, thanks in advance.

lovecf4444

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I encounter a sound problem in Jpn version of Eternal Darkness with the sample loader r100. When I go into the option menu, I hear some sort of bottom noise:TA TA ..... TA TA ......, something like that.

I noticed that someone else had reported a similiar problem here.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll double check, tueidj. One moment.

PSO 1&2 says "The Memory Card in Slot A is damaged and cannot be used." It does not give an option to format it, just to retry.
Metroid Prime 1 says the same thing. The choices are to Continue without Saving and Retry.

So it seems as if it's the latter: unusable.

Should I check for anything particular in the USBGecko output? Or does Devolution not provide anything on such an issue?

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're using an emulated card in slot A, insert the problem card into slot B and see if the log shows "Patching SRAM read to XXXXXXXX for slot A memory card emulation" when you try to access the slot B card. It should show up once after each time the card is (re)inserted.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll check it out in a minute.

Edit: Hrm..it doesn't seem like Devolution recognizes USBGecko when it's in Slot A...this might call for network logging.

I used Tales of Symphonia Disk 1 as a test, and I didn't see anything about "Patching SRAM read." when I tried to load my save from slot B. Is that a bad sign?

Wait, yes I did. It's near the beginning, right as the game booted, but not at the time of accessing Slot B, nor when ejecting/reinserting it.
http://pastie.org/pr...go9bridqmb2bpig

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, nothing of the sort. Unfortunately, out of the 11 or 12 GC games I have, ToS is the only one I have that can use slot B, so I'm a bit short on games I can use to test.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also can report the same memory card problems as others, though I've only gotten to test with Luigi's Mansion. It reports "Game cannot be saved with device in Slot A". Removing the card and re-inserting does nothing. It's the only game I had time to test last night before bed, though.

skite2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@tueidj

how does your loader work with 2-Disc games?
I ripped Tales of Symphonia from my discs and created 2 folders in my SD:/games/ folder, called:
TALES OF SYMPHONIA Disc 1 [GQSPAF]
TALES OF SYMPHONIA Disc 2 [GQSPAF]
which each got the game.iso in it.

Correct or do i need to change something?
regrats
skitey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch