Hacking DevMenu Crashing when Install From SD Selected

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me start from the top. My switch is on 5.1.0 and I've updated through only official means. I've got some modified version of hekate with sigpatches and I flash the hekate 3.2 bin to get to cfw. I can install games with Tinfoil and play them in cfw, and I've even gotten two different versions of DevMenu and put them over both Pokémon Quest and Hulu. DevMenu boots up properly, but in either version when I select "Install from SD" it takes about 4 seconds, then errors out with the ever-enigmatic and unhelpful "The software was closed because an error occurred." Any clues?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Fake SD card? Try testing it with h2testw
  • Do you have enough space on your SD card? It requires at least double the size of the NSP you are trying to install
  • Unlikely, but it might be a bad NSP unless it was obtained from CDNSP

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Do you have enough space on your SD card? It requires at least double the size of the NSP you are trying to install
Tested the SD with h2testw when I got it; it actually has 128 GB. I have around 54 GB free. Unlikely to be NSP files, as the source (which will remain unnamed) provided NSPs for several games that install and work properly; not a single base game has failed to install or run yet. I doubt DevMenu would crash before it even listed them if that were the case; it should instead have a problem while installing.

I suppose I could remove all NSPs from the SD just in case, but I really doubt it will do anything.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Actually, even from CDNSP, sometimes the NSP is bad. I've spoken to someone here that mentioned sometimes they had to download the same game several times before it actually was installed by devmenu

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, even from CDNSP, sometimes the NSP is bad. I've spoken to someone here that mentioned sometimes they had to download the same game several times before it actually was installed by devmenu
...I doubt DevMenu would crash before it even listed them if that were the case; it should instead have a problem while installing.
So, you're saying that a possible corrupted nsp is preventing DevMenu from even reading the SD card? Of course it can display the free space available to the SD card properly anyway. That seems unlikely.

Well, I went and removed all nsp files from my SD card just in case. The same thing happens, so that is officially not the issue. Any other ideas?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, you're saying that a possible corrupted nsp is preventing DevMenu from even reading the SD card? Of course it can display the free space available to the SD card properly anyway. That seems unlikely.

Well, I went and removed all nsp files from my SD card just in case. The same thing happens, so that is officially not the issue. Any other ideas?

Which title are you using as a donor?

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I've even gotten two different versions of DevMenu and put them over both Pokémon Quest and Hulu....
Pokémon Quest and Hulu, as I stated in the OP. Both have the same result.

Quick question: If I fish up another microSD card and put the necessary files on it, will I be able to put my original 128GB microSD card back in when I'm done and have all the previous stuff installed?

bluedart

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I solved my dilemma. I went ahead and fished up a 16GB microSD I wasn't using at the moment, formatted it and put it into my switch. It had to format it again, then I turned the switch off and put the original SD card in; it recognized it! So I got cfw running with the new card and ran DevMenu over Hulu which I installed via Tinfoil. On the new card, DevMenu actually loads up after "Install from SD" is selected, so it is something to do with my normal SD card. I ended up installing updates/dlc to system memory since it's not the normal card, which for some reason made me reinstall the base games on my normal SD card, but once I did that they're all updated like I was hoping they could be. I figured even if something screwed up I'd be fine, since I made a complete nand backup a week or so ago before I started screwing with my switch.

Oh, if anyone in the future is repeating this, know that when you reinstall a base game with Tinfoil that it will get to 99% and then "error" out. Although the title is installed properly and playable on the system; I guess it wasn't really gone. In fact, before and after installing the game the same amount of space was free on the SD card. Some header somewhere probably just got messed up and that somehow fixes it. Neat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30