Determining Archive Type?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by jonthedit, May 25, 2016.

1. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I have a file that is used to store images, 3D models, sound files, and text- however I can not determine the filetype. WinRAR and 7Zip can not open the file successfully. The extension is .PKG however it is an archive (I am certain).

Upon inspection with an editor, plaintext- suggesting nothing is encrypted- can be found and effectively changed in the application that loads the .PKG file. My goal is to extract images/sound from the file, so what steps do I need to take to figure out what type of archive this is?

2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Isn't that a Mac package? Been a few years since I've touched a Mac but I seem to remember using files with that extension on there.

3. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    From google:

pkg is an OS X Installer file. This file format is used by Apple Inc. on its Macintosh line of computers and on the iPhone. It is also used by Sony PlayStation 3 on downloadable content over PlayStation Network. The contents of a PKG file can be installed using the Apple Installer application.

So you can probably view it on any mac, and I think iFile allows you to open these on iOS if you have access to that but not a mac (not too sure though, it's been way too long)

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w, May 25, 2016
  4. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I should have said this earlier but I forgot to include it in the original post: It is an archive for use with a program. It does not follow conventional archive format, nor is it actually a OS X package. I was hoping someone could direct me towards a way to detect archive format, since it is not following traditional models (bzip, tar, zip, rar, 7z). The archive was created in late 1999 if it helps.

5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Is it something you extracted from a game or closed system? If so, you'd have to look to see if anyone developed a process or software for extracting from it. Otherwise, you might have to develop it yourself.

6. Dr_Doom

Dr_Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    What you are talking about seems to be a PKG from mac there is PKG on PS vita PS3 you might have to get the decryption keys to decompress it

7. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Thank you for the suggestions, but this is not a PlayStation package either.

Correct. However since I can find some ASCII strings in the file I assume it is basic archive type. I just need to find a tool/utility or perhaps a way to identify the stops in the file to figure out the proper utility.

8. Dr_Doom

Dr_Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    What is it from were did you get it?

ih8ih8sn0w and TecXero like this.