Homebrew Desert Bus for DS

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um. Do you know thats a "mini" game (heh 8 hour mini game) from an unreleased Sega CD game? And there's no point to it. You drive, on a straight road, for 8 hours, as the drive of a tourbus, which pulls slightly to the right so you cant just tape down the button and walk away for 8 hours?

THEN, you have to do it all over again. The highlight is the ONE fly that hits the windshield.

I really hope this was a joke post.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Whoa, it would be cool... Let's hope someone does it
smile.gif

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
Um. Do you know thats a "mini" game (heh 8 hour mini game) from an unreleased Sega CD game? And there's no point to it. You drive, on a straight road, for 8 hours, as the drive of a tourbus, which pulls slightly to the right so you cant just tape down the button and walk away for 8 hours?

THEN, you have to do it all over again. The highlight is the ONE fly that hits the windshield.

Meh, I was half-joking. On one hand I realize that the novelty would completely wear off after a few minutes (maybe an hour) but part of me wants to see this happen, if not just for laughs.

Plus Arkanoid paddle support would be the icing on the cake, of course your DS battery would most likely die before you could finish.

If I knew how to do it and I had the time I would totally make a homebrew of it.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:

Sweet..I would so play that game! Come on..someone really needs to make a port of this for the Nintendo DS..you can use the stylus to turn the steering wheel and everything. Oh and you can swipe across the winshield to make the wipers wipe across it when those pesky bugs hit! Come on, who wouldn't find that fun?

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
WildWon said:

Sweet..I would so play that game! Come on..someone really needs to make a port of this for the Nintendo DS..you can use the stylus to turn the steering wheel and everything. Oh and you can swipe across the winshield to make the wipers wipe across it when those pesky bugs hit! Come on, who wouldn't find that fun?

See? That's what I'm talking about! It would be fun as hell not to mention ridiculous. How hard can it be? I seriously want to learn how to make DS homebrew just to attempt to make this happen. I can see it now, I'll be RICH!

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ouch, seeing C++ emblazened across the screen like that just intimidated the shit out of me. As far as I know, C++ is pretty hard to learn but I could be wrong.

Would this be a good beginner project or would it be a mistake to even try? I have no programming experience outside of music software and very limited html knowledge. Although, I could program a decent "choose your own adventure" game or two on my TI-82 in high school.

The thing is that I have a lot of patience when it comes to learning software and I'm not afraid to read a manual or two in order to figure things out. So do you guys think that this would be possible for a total programming noob such as myself?

I have to say that I would be very proud of myself if I could pull this off. I mean, come on, it's fucking Desert Bus on the DS we're talking about here.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
PizzaPasta said:
Ouch, seeing C++ emblazened across the screen like that just intimidated the shit out of me. As far as I know, C++ is pretty hard to learn but I could be wrong.

Would this be a good beginner project or would it be a mistake to even try? I have no programming experience outside of music software and very limited html knowledge. Although, I could program a decent "choose your own adventure" game or two on my TI-82 in high school.

The thing is that I have a lot of patience when it comes to learning software and I'm not afraid to read a manual or two in order to figure things out. So do you guys think that this would be possible for a total programming noob such as myself?

I have to say that I would be very proud of myself if I could pull this off. I mean, come on, it's fucking Desert Bus on the DS we're talking about here.

It shouldn't be to hard of a project, art off small, trying making a simple text game or a pong clone for the DS and work your way up from there. Theres also plenty of homebrew source code out there that you can take a look at to help you with programming on the DS and the DevKit is a good programming kit for the Nintendo DS.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I think I'm going to give it a shot. It may take awhile but some day we might be able to play Desert Bus on the DS.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to start foolin' around with it tonight.

EDIT: I downloaded PALib and devkitarm. The tutorials on the PALib site are great. I have a feeling this is going to be easier than I thought. Thanks again!

Japhle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey at least Sega didn't win the console war, which would cause us to have some gamegear sequel and have Completely craptastic battery life on the console that would've been released by them...
but yeah this might be fun with the arkanoid paddle, and there could possibly be carpocalypse stuff or something such as crazy cars trying kill you constantly and whatnot... Just a thought. Other than that it just seems like a kind of dumb idea as long as the game had some sort of cheat to speed up the bus's speed....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat