Hacking Delidded Temps

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
After a good hour of gently (succesfully) delidding the CPU and applying new thermal paste I put everything back together and on boot after 10 mins, the CPU is hitting 82C so clearly something hasn't worked correctly. It's a fat PS3 CECHG model. Any suggestions and tips greatly appreciated.

I only did the CPU as that was getting far too hot too quickly. GPU was hovering around 60c so all good there.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After a good hour of gently (succesfully) delidding the CPU and applying new thermal paste I put everything back together and on boot after 10 mins, the CPU is hitting 82C so clearly something hasn't worked correctly. It's a fat PS3 CECHG model. Any suggestions and tips greatly appreciated.

I only did the CPU as that was getting far too hot too quickly. GPU was hovering around 60c so all good there.
you might have more success on psx-place, where there are people more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the ps3. I think there's even a delidding tutorial somewhere on there.

Reactions: Haizum74

stompysan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can chime in. First thing I would check is to make sure you are still using some sort of fan tuning plugin. Without this, it will still try and target that 85C mark and just not spin the fan as much. If it is still heating up and you are hearing your fan ramp up, you should retry the delid. Personally, I don't bother with re-adhering the IHS since you may want to repaste in the future. For your paste application, it's always best to do a full mount once so you can see how aggressive your paste application is. Apply paste, reassemble the heatsink, and then disassemble and see how it looks. Since it is die to IHS, it actually matters if you use too much. You want as minimal of an application as possible while still making contact with the IHS. Also make sure you take off as much of the original adhesive as possible on BOTH the IHS and the chip. Even if there is a tiny amount, this can cause the mount to be uneven, which can throw off temps significantly. I would use a plastic spudger tool and a LOT of patience when removing the adhesive from the processor. Last thing you want is to damage the PCB.

Reactions: 6adget and Haizum74

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can chime in. First thing I would check is to make sure you are still using some sort of fan tuning plugin. Without this, it will still try and target that 85C mark and just not spin the fan as much. If it is still heating up and you are hearing your fan ramp up, you should retry the delid. Personally, I don't bother with re-adhering the IHS since you may want to repaste in the future. For your paste application, it's always best to do a full mount once so you can see how aggressive your paste application is. Apply paste, reassemble the heatsink, and then disassemble and see how it looks. Since it is die to IHS, it actually matters if you use too much. You want as minimal of an application as possible while still making contact with the IHS. Also make sure you take off as much of the original adhesive as possible on BOTH the IHS and the chip. Even if there is a tiny amount, this can cause the mount to be uneven, which can throw off temps significantly. I would use a plastic spudger tool and a LOT of patience when removing the adhesive from the processor. Last thing you want is to damage the PCB.
I've taken the PS3 apart again and I can see I've used too much paste on the CPU. Just ordered some more as the paste was a tad too 'wet'. Unfortunately I knackered the wifi ribbon cable as well so ordered one of those.
Thanks for the info, I'll go with the spread method and try that. I've also managed to remove the adhesive from the lid but not had a go CPU side. I do have some adhesive remover so may try that.

Last edited by Haizum74,

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a small update. I was still getting high temps with the old paste so had a go with the MX6 and again used the spread method. So far, temps whilst in menu are sitting at 47c CPU and 46c GPU with the fan at 40%.
Still waiting on the wifi ribbon so I can connect to the net, it seems that that also affects the ethernet socket on the back too.

Last edited by Haizum74,
Reactions: zfreeman

P_H_I

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first attempt at re-pasting my PS3 resulted in me putting waaaaay too much paste resulting in 70 C temps, higher than before the paste. Idk what it is but the PS3 takes a bit of trial-and-error to get the temps right, happy to hear it sorted out it the end.

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My first attempt at re-pasting my PS3 resulted in me putting waaaaay too much paste resulting in 70 C temps, higher than before the paste. Idk what it is but the PS3 takes a bit of trial-and-error to get the temps right, happy to hear it sorted out it the end.
I think the type of paste I used and also the 'lid' had moved the 2nd time, so new paste and a small dab of glue to one corner to hold it has sorted it. 62C + 65c temps whilst playing Hard Rain. I think that's more than acceptable :-)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the type of paste I used and also the 'lid' had moved the 2nd time, so new paste and a small dab of glue to one corner to hold it has sorted it. 62C + 65c temps whilst playing Hard Rain. I think that's more than acceptable :-)
the cpu is capable of higher temps, but the rsx is generic. the cpu can handle temps better than say the 360's for example, but the rsx, being just off the shelf, will have similar temps as the gpu in the 360 from what I remember. those temps are good. with the 360, you want it to be around 140f (60c) if using an older phat model; with the ps3, 68c or so, which is the default temp of webman mod and other apps.

Reactions: Haizum74

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the cpu is capable of higher temps, but the rsx is generic. the cpu can handle temps better than say the 360's for example, but the rsx, being just off the shelf, will have similar temps as the gpu in the 360 from what I remember. those temps are good. with the 360, you want it to be around 140f (60c) if using an older phat model; with the ps3, 68c or so, which is the default temp of webman mod and other apps.
I'm just glad I finally got it sorted and can play some games rather than tinker :-) Although, I seem to have spent a few notes on blu rays this week, more than I was expecting too.
As for my 360, that's been solid on temps since I bought it from a place that mods them. Barely hear it, fan wise.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just glad I finally got it sorted and can play some games rather than tinker :-) Although, I seem to have spent a few notes on blu rays this week, more than I was expecting too.
As for my 360, that's been solid on temps since I bought it from a place that mods them. Barely hear it, fan wise.
I have my 360 set at 60f with temp thresholds. it's a jtagged, phat falcon. it's been working for 14 years, never needed to be repaired. I plan to sell it in a couple months, since I no longer play it, along with my cfw ps3. I'm going to keep the superslim ps3, since I bought some games for it. I don't hear that thing either, even after it's been on for hours.

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have my 360 set at 60f with temp thresholds. it's a jtagged, phat falcon. it's been working for 14 years, never needed to be repaired. I plan to sell it in a couple months, since I no longer play it, along with my cfw ps3. I'm going to keep the superslim ps3, since I bought some games for it. I don't hear that thing either, even after it's been on for hours.
Yeh, I sitll find it interesting that billion dollar companies can fail on something like overheating and it takes someone in their shed to fix it.
Have an RGH 360 and play both equally. The Wii U has taken a backseat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo