Question Delete XCI, Get NSP and keep save file?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by mranonymous, Aug 3, 2018.

1. mranonymous
    OP

mranonymous GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    I encountered an error (2144-0001) today when I accidentally opened an XCI file from my home menu. It was obviously a stupid mistake, but I've done it a few times now because it's just a habit to open games this way. Anyway, in order to prevent this, and for uniformity, I'd like to get rid of the few XCI games I have and use their NSPs instead, but would like to keep the save files.

What is the best way to go about this? Should I delete the XCI manually from my PC card reader or can I do it directly from the Switch? Do I need to place the save files in another location so they'll load in the NSP?

TIA

2. morrison22

morrison22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Your save file will remain on the system and can be used with the NSP version of the game as long as it is the same title / region. You can safely delete the XCI and install the NSP without worry of your save being lost. If you feel the need to backup your save file, use Checkpoint to back it up. Though, deleting the XCI (or even an NSP installation for that matter) will not delete the save as they are separate from eachother.

Last edited by morrison22, Aug 3, 2018
    mranonymous likes this.
  3. mranonymous
    OP

mranonymous GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2018
    United States
    Perfect, thank you. Was hoping this would be the case.

Is deleting it manually from the SD the way to go? I didn't see an option to do it within SX OS, but I wasn't sure if it was hidden in there somewhere.