Delayed games (Discussions)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it me or does everyone hate hearing that news?

You go to many events, watch conferences, read magazines, look up all the information you possiably can for a game, and you may start to like it. First you can't wait, then when they finally announce the release date, That is your que to prepare your body for it. You plan out everything accordingly, how much it will cost for whatever edition of the game, (Basic, premium, Ultimate, complete) All the dlc, seasons passes, your whole preperation for readying your body until the fated day.

Then the announcement of a delay. Of course once you hear anything with "DELAY" your first question is "WHY" What is wrong now, all the plan is ruin, your excitement seem to decrease a little inside. There been many times where games will be delayed, gets announced for delay, usually it doesn't always mean good news. (Insert obvious mighty No.9 references) When you hear the news, the chances of finding out why are always low. They won't tell us why when they do. Is more like a suspence thing, like watching tv show to the end of the episode only to see "To be continued..."

Personally it plays a important role between developer and customers. Both sides is on tilt. Most of the time we see bad results come from it and we probably expect it as natural now. But i just wonder, why not just announce the game when you are done working ont it? Is there a need for projected future dates? Is it there to help set a goal on getting it into a selling state? Is just not easy to understand with everyone.

I guess the idea here is to share how delayed announcements effect your decision to purchase games, or your opinions on delaying them. Maybe is all part of a plan we are not in the know about. So tell me fine folks. :unsure:

Reactions: Lightyose
D

Deleted-379826

Honestly I don't mind delayed games. I usually don't have the money straight up and I'm finishing other things first. A lot of the times it's also for the better so if it means waiting a bit more to make that perfect game you are using your precious money on even better, than I'm all for it! I can't say the same for others though?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
I don't mind delays too much, unless the game turns out to be shit despite the delay

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mainly because many gamers were looking forward to playing the game especially when companies hype the crap out of the game.

The issue with Final Fantasy XV was that it was initially announced for the PS3 as Final Fantasy XIII Versus way before the end of its lifespan, and it was delayed more than once. Square then decided to just release it for the PS4, and announced it for it with a release date, and again it gets delayed.

Last edited by insidexdeath,
Reactions: Lightyose

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind delays I'd rather them take whatever time they need to make a good game rather than rush out a buggy mess. It does slightly bother me games like Final Fantasy 15 and Last Guardian because they were first announced like 8-10 years ago and still aren't out but as long as I eventually get them and they're good. Being good is the key though, because Duke Nukem Forever on last gen was delayed forever and ended up sucking hard when it came out.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
If it's delayed, it's delayed. There's nothing that can be done. It's disappointing, of course, but the developers delay it for a reason, be it for good reasons or bad. FFXV's delay is a shame, especially since it seems only to be for the sake of DLC, and no amount of delays saved No Mans Sky, but for other games, I'll gladly accept a delay if it means a better experience in the end.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
I don't mind delays too much, unless the game turns out to be shit despite the delay
Yes, i agree, a game that has carefully been made to improve quality is always good. I like to know people will think so too. You know some people out there will make incomplete games and rely on updates to finish the game, which is awful. Back then we didn't have that situation where updates and dlc were part of the problem. Knowing updates were supposed to be a good thing and useful. If the game was completed and they may have found some glitches or problems with it can easily be fixed without buying a new game. Sometimes updates just add more content even after the game was finished. That is also good, updates are free :P

But then the nasty people started. It when people make games with too much content (Yes that is a such thing at least to me, more likely considered unnecessary to be honest.) That games are being sold with less content to the game and reselling them as Add-on content. Which is awful to me. There was times when people did have so many ideas they try to fit into games that it wouldn't be enough room, and have to get stuff cut. But we don't have that problem anymore. Now is just people intentionally removing content that is part of the game in hopes of trying to resell it as more.

If the game is made and completed, and i guess players wished for more content, then i suppose is fine. But not to make a game and exclude content to resell it back to us.

HomebrewJay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I don't mind delayed games. I usually don't have the money straight up and I'm finishing other things first. A lot of the times it's also for the better so if it means waiting a bit more to make that perfect game you are using your precious money on even better, than I'm all for it! I can't say the same for others though?
I agree. But to be honest, I feel as though people take delayed games way too seriously. Consumers being annoyed because they're excited to play a certain title; but resulting in being angry? C'mon now. The creator(s) of No Man's Sky received several death threats over his announcement about pushing the games release date a couple of months. It'd be understandable though if a consumer spent their money and received a game that was below their expectations; delayed or not.

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think death threats are a little bit extreme. O_O
Sure sometimes its important for quality ensurance but only if is worth it. Wii u has low library of games, but the games have quality which is good. If people can still enjoy super smash bros melee after 15 years on a GAMECUBE then that is a great game. That is what nintendo delivers most of the time with their stuff, even if they do experement with other possible gimmicks. :)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Final Fantasy XV was that it was initially announced for the PS3 as Final Fantasy XIII Versus

Just fixed a little typo.

I don't mind "real" delays at all. If it isn't done, it isn't done. Miyamoto said it well.
In the case of Rayman for the Wii U, where they delayed it because they were going to port it to all the other consoles... well that was just idiotic (especially when they gave a crap reason, which they never followed prior or since).

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just fixed a little typo.

I don't mind "real" delays at all. If it isn't done, it isn't done. Miyamoto said it well.
In the case of Rayman for the Wii U, where they delayed it because they were going to port it to all the other consoles... well that was just idiotic (especially when they gave a crap reason, which they never followed prior or since).
Yeah i found that highly offensive too. I had preordered the wii u version cause i wanted that game, and now everyone says is the most inferior port since the use of the gamepad being mandetory in some parts while others would just use basic controller. :(

I haven't played it since i first turned it on, and been staring at it trying to get motivated to finish the game, but wonder if i should just get another version. :unsure:

HomebrewJay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i found that highly offensive too. I had preordered the wii u version cause i wanted that game, and now everyone says is the most inferior port since the use of the gamepad being mandetory in some parts while others would just use basic controller. :(

I haven't played it since i first turned it on, and been staring at it trying to get motivated to finish the game, but wonder if i should just get another version. :unsure:
Wait, didn't that happen with Mighty No. 9? I remember the game being delayed like, three times just so it can be on different consoles/hardware. Then the game got rushed and released.
At least it was better than nothing.

Last edited by HomebrewJay,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, didn't that happened with Mighty No. 9? I remember Mighty No. 9 being delayed like, three times just so it can be on different consoles/hardware. Then the game got rushed and released.
At least it was better than nothing.
Keep telling yourself that.... I bet the Angery video game nerd has a episode for this planned in 2026 :creep:

MIGHTY No.9 -IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING COMPLETE EDITION
Itsbetterthannothing_1_.png

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Delays happen and like you said TC if it's a game you a REALLY hyped for I can see why you would get angry. The hype train is strong to the point every game that might be good is hyped by the media. I really only have 2 problems with this -

1. Waiting less then a month to tell someone. Yes I know I don't know what is happening behind the scenes but at the same time you got to know you're going to delay the game by this point.

2. The game is STILL a pile even after a few delays. I mean wtf state was it in before 0.o

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think death threats are a little bit extreme. O_O
Erm...a little bit?:huh:

Look... Delays happen in lots of projects, and writing software is among the hardest of them. The problem isn't so much in the setting as it is in the nearly fetishised anticipation of a game. This forces companies to pretty much gamble about the date, even though there is no way to predict to what degree problems will arise, let alone how long it will take to solve them. Try working on a project yourself and set a deadline early: chances are high you won't make it either. This is because life has so much factors you just don't take into account.

To make it even weirder: the act of setting deadlines influences the result as well, so even a missed deadline will have worked to inspire the coders to finish the game. This may have been positive(less faffing about) but negative as well (rush jobs in coding can lead to errors that take more time to fix).

So... No. I don't mind delays at all. It's just that some gamers are morons who completely fail to understand anything of the process of creating... Well... Anything.

There is one 'but' to this. I follow a few indies and their progress toward their games. They openly blog about their progress, their planning and even their errors. Unless I'm mistaken, larger companies don't do that. This makes it seem as if they are just being lazy, whereas I'm sure they work their socks off no matter how many deadlines (usually set by people who don't program themselves) are missed. For Rayman legends, for example, I heard that they included about half the levels of origins as a compensation for the imposed delays. So it's not like the end result suffered in any way.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse