Defrag Program For WBFS

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by vettacossx, Sep 17, 2009.

Sep 17, 2009

Defrag Program For WBFS by vettacossx at 12:09 AM (5,380 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. vettacossx
    OP

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    Hey guys I was just wondering (because my western digital passport isnt reading as fast as it USED TO on usb loader CFG or GX or Uloader [​IMG] (a noticable slowdown in initializing this HDD)

So this brings me to a question...

Is ANYONE OUT THERE working on a tool to defrag and clean/allocate the WBFS file format for common externals?

THIS IS NOT A POLE AND I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOUR OPPINIONS AS TO IF A TOOL LIKE THIS IS NEEDED...IT IS I DONT WONDER...IM CERTAIN ITS NEEDED....

the question is ..Has anyone took the challenge and if so? whats the good word?

Thanks in advanced for not posting your OPPINIONS WE DONT REALLY CARE...just lookin to see if this tool has or has not been takled by any local devs?

Thanks

2. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    So far as I know, there is no such tool yet, probably because it's not actually a serious concern. The WBFS drive is read-only, meaning running it with loaders will not fragment the data in any way. The only way it would become fragmented was if you regularly deleted games from it in WBFS manager (and why would you need to?), other than that the disc images are loaded in serially and no moving-around occurs.

If you genuinely think your drive is fragmented, the best (only?) way to fix it would be to get everything on it backed up, format the drive clean, defrag it, partition it as needed, re-create the WBFS partition, and reload the games into it.

If your drive is running more slowly than usual, particularly during initialization, I would be more concerned with the health of the hardware. Sounds like your hard drive might be getting old or worn out.

3. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    mine started to slow down, then the head crashed on the hdd

4. AllWiidUp

Newcomer AllWiidUp Advanced Member

Canada
    I don't think fragmentation is the issue, however, reformatting and re-installing the games will defrag it. if you init it, it _IS_ defragged.

5. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Yeah you don't defrag a newly formatted partition [​IMG]

There is another option. You could write a script that used the wbfs command line tool or library to pull the ISOs off to another drive, format and then copy back to WBFS. If you added a bit of intelligence to it, you perhaps wouldn't need more than 4 GB "swap" on another partition or drive to hold the images while it "shuffles" them [think of the Towers of Hanoi puzzle] into order. I don't know if there's any easy [read: high level] way to determine what is fragmented, though. Really time-consuming, either way.

6. madeirabhoy

Member madeirabhoy GBAtemp Fan

but what about disc maintenance, my mac utilities cant even see it...

and eventually defragmentation will be needed. Like most people ive a 500 meg partition, i havent filled 350 meg, and ive only deleted the odd game either coz they were shite (hells kitchen) older versions (madden 09) the ntsc version and ive now got the PAL version (guitar hero 5)

but eventually ill download another 30 games, run out of space, delete other games coz i dont need them... and eventually ill need to defrag

7. vettacossx
    OP

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    well my terrabyte is fast and fine...yet my WD 320 passport however (i have erased about 30 games from it to make room for new ones and erase old ones i had beaten or dont play anymore) and i noted a slowdown after uninstalling wiisports 2 (resort) and a handful of other titles....

I am sure that a defrag would help this...thats my point exactly when you erase enough games you will notice this...also the 320 is partitioned with nortons partition magic half fat32 (for emulator roms and media mp3 and avi ect) and the other half is for WBFS drive and while it all works just as well as ever i just noticed a maybe 10 second slowdown in initialization ....

If that pattern follows suit (yes i can just use wbfs manager 3.1 to dump the entire WBFS drive and format but my point was that this is a HUGE PAIN IN A END USERS ASS WHEN A DEFRAG APP IS IN ORDER TO SORT THIS VERY ISSUE....what if we uninstall another 30 games and it gets even slower and more fragmented ect....

Lets not act like every user will keep every game we install thats just ridiculous