Defective N3DS ?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by fuyukaidesu, Sep 28, 2015.

1. fuyukaidesu
    OP

fuyukaidesu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    France
    Edit: Nothing to see here, I'm just dumb and/or tired. As Cbajd5 pointed out, it's just closing the lid.

I just noticed that when I put my phone (Xperia Z) over the bottom screen, the screens turn off, a noise sound plays briefly on the speakers, and everything stays frozen until the phone is removed. My phone is turned off.
    I have no clue on what's happening there.

http://b.1339.cf/korznev.webm

Can someone with an Xperia Z and a N3DSXL try this to see if this is present on every unit ?

Last edited by fuyukaidesu, Sep 28, 2015
  2. Mthodmn101

Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    does the phone use NFC?

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    Probably like the electricity or magnetism in the phone screen or something, I wouldn't do that if i were you, it could possibly hurt your 3ds. weird tho

4. Cbajd5

Cbajd5 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2007
    United States
    I can't test anything but I'm 99.99% sure it's just triggering the 3DS's sleep mode. (You can do the same thing with another 3DS/DSi/DS if I remember correctly.) You can check yourself by just seeing if the (blue) power light starts to do the fading out thing it does when it's in sleep mode normally. (The phone covers it at the beginning of the video and you take it off too quickly for me to see the second time.)

fuyukaidesu likes this.
  5. fuyukaidesu
    OP

fuyukaidesu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    France
    Never mind, I figured it out.
    It somehow simulates the lid closing, there's no real freeze.

6. ll0rT

ll0rT GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2014
    3ds actually triggers sleep mode with magnetic sensors. When you close the lid, speaker's magnet triggers the sensor and it goes sleep mode. Your phone also triggers magnetic sensors. So it's normal.

7. riggs

riggs GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Lincs
    Yup, they're called Hall Effect sensors. Works the same way as the iPad/Smart Covers, and most modern laptops.