Deck dock now available

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Small update/bump...I bought one. While it does its thing (I'm actually typing on the thing right now), I can't say I'm too impressed. :sleep:

As for its first impression: it's small. Kind of ironic how the handheld device (the deck) is huge whereas the thing that stays at your desk (the dock) is just large enough to plug everything in.

But much more important: I bought this over the competition (that's about half to two-thirds of its price) because it has a second display output (HDMI and display port). I figured this'd be convenient because my gaming PC has, in fact, two screens.
...but I can't get the display port to work. Quick google shows this to be quite common if you use an adapter (which I use). This is kind of dumb, as pure display port adapters aren't common. And it's not a fun purchase if it'll only reveal that it too won't work. Or only displays small resolutions (though I'm not so sure that's much of an issue on my end).
For the life of me I can't understand why the hell valve didn't went with a 2nd HDMI outlet or a VGA one. Display port is like the bastard child that nobody wanted but we're stuck with for some reason.

And a smaller nitpick: why no audio input? At first I thought my sound was just too soft, but it uses the (weaksause) HDMI monitor for it. It has an audio out, but that causes constant white noise on the speakers. So the only input left is on the deck itself. Not really the one cable connection I hoped for, but I think this goes for all steam deck-shaped docking station.

On the plus side: everything else works perfectly. I've connected both keyboard and mouse to a USB-hub that connects to the dock, and have no issues or delays with it (not that I expect it with just these devices :P ). The battery charges and the ethernet connection works just as well as it would were the deck had an ethernet port.

And on the neutral side, there's the elephant in the room: setting up the thing. My gaming PC had quite some cable soup running behind and under my (large, wooden) desk, so untangling it all and joining the connections where I want them took some time. And is going to take some more, as without the 2nd display properly set up, there's more fiddlyness incoming.

EDIT: perhaps I should add that the steam deck monitor itself can serve as a second monitor. It's not something I thought of, but when doing keyboard/mouse gaming, it can serve as a playlist for clementine or something. :)

Also: I read somewhere about a firmware hardware from the thing. If so, I've not yet found out where or how to do it...

EDIT 2: okay...apparently just going (back) to gaming mode triggers the "you've got an important update coming" notion. The installation started fine but ended with all screens blanked. After restarting (unplugged), going into desktop mode and then waiting some time until it did god knows what (too long to my taste, especially with no idea what's going on), the display port-to-VGA'ed monitor sprung to life. Highest resulution is 1024x768...I don't mind a lower resolution but the only options are 4:3 for some reason, and that just looks extremely weird. But ey...credit where due: we're making progress. :)

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: