Decent Audacity alternatives for Vista?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by kitetsu, Aug 18, 2008.

1. kitetsu
    OP

kitetsu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 3, 2008
    ausfailia
    Yeah, because i'm still too stubborn to realize that Audacity can't do Mono Mix recording from pretty much anything that makes a sound inside Vista computers/laptops. So far i've tried a handful of other sound recorders, but not one of them was able to capture sound playing in BridgeM1, which is a media player strictly for arcade games.

The reason why i need an alternative to Audacity is pretty much for the sake of a faster working pace, now that i have a laptop with far greater capabilities. I COULD rely on BridgeM1 and Winamp's built-in WAV writer, but... Yeah.

Of course, since many of you here shun Vista for some reason, you're welcome to tell me to give up, spend a few hundred on downgrading to XP, and hang myself along the way. Don't expect me to take it well, though.

2. jesterscourt

jesterscourt Not Brad.

Jan 3, 2007
    United States
    Why would it spend a few hundred to downgrade? Even if you are purchasing a legit copy of XP, it can be had for around $100.

3. xJonny

xJonny ...

Aug 16, 2007
    I heard there's one called WavePad, but I'm not sure if it does what you want.

4. BiscuitBee

BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Jul 30, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Hey,

I haven't tried either of these programs yet (I like Audacity b/c it's simple), but they're usually recommended if you don't like Audacity. Both are, of course, free.

Kristal Audio Engine
    http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

Wavosaur
    http://www.wavosaur.com/

As for a commercial program, I remember a long time ago, I used to use a program called "CoolEdit". It was pretty much like Audacity... which is probably why I like it so much [​IMG]

Good Luck!

5. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Try "sony soundforge"... not free (although for some of us, money isn't an issue... [​IMG] ) but definitely what you're looking for.

6. BiscuitBee

BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Jul 30, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    *GASP* what are you implying? I hope you mean that "some of us" have the money to purchase said software! [​IMG]

7. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    GoldWave is another possibility for a payware alternative. Fortunately, the trial is uncrippled.