Deals on USB loader compatible drives?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pitweasel, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. pitweasel
    OP

Newcomer pitweasel Advanced Member

United States
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but it seems like it'd be nice to have a thread for people to post their bargain finds for USB Loader-compatible devices. Cheap hard drives, flash drives, etc...what type of prices are people paying?

For example, I was eying the 8gb Kingston drive for a little under $20 at buy.com - good deal, or can I do better?

2. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    250 gb pocket hdd from Western Digital
    My Passport HDD

Its ubber tiny and sleek $99 Canadian.... its compatible and works flawlessly for me ...

worth every penny!

3. cheatmaster5

Member cheatmaster5 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    these kind of post are around they are in the trade forums
    i have a 320gb maxtor

4. pitweasel
    OP

Newcomer pitweasel Advanced Member

United States
    Ah, didn't see that before, sorry. Thanks for the heads-up!

5. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Yesterday i got the following deal

Maxtor One Touch Mini 4 250GB for $54 after tax at staples.
    They had it on sale for $75.50 and i had a $25 off $75 or more purchase.
    You can buy the $25 off coupons off ebay for a buck or two or goto ejunkie.com and buy them for like $1.50 thats where i bought mine.

Well worth it.

6. rogras

Newcomer rogras Member

Turkey
  7. sheridan2000

Newcomer sheridan2000 Advanced Member

United States
    shame its not fully understood why some work and why other dont....im using a Veho SDHC card reader and every sd card i have put in it so far has worked!!

8. NeoDraven

Banned NeoDraven Banned

United States
    I have the Western Digital MyBook 1TB drive. I have installed a 500GB WBFS partition on mine, and a 250GB partition on one of my co-worker's hard drives; exact same model and brand. Both work flawlessly for all games tested so far except for SSX Blur.

http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digital-1t.../205761335.html

This is the cheapest one I can recommend. Buy.com usually delivers within 3 days for this particular item. I think it ships from Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken, and $117 is the cheapest I can find.

Both Target and Wal-Mart carry this exact drive, in the price range of $120-$140, and you can check availability in-store, online. I got mine from Target.

I have also successfully tested the Sandisk 8GB Cruzer Micro. It also works flawlessly. Radioshack usually has them for $19.99, or you can order it online from Buy.com from the following link for $20.78 with shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-cruzer-mic.../208715954.html

Even if you don't have a shit-ton of Wii ISOs, I still recommend the WD MyBook 1TB drive. I have exactly 93 ISOs on my 500GB WBFS partition, and it takes up approximately 220GB. I ripped every single burned DVD that I had to the other remaining 431GB, so it was easier to move them to my WBFS partition. I definitely needed that space to hold the ISOs as I was transferring them to the WBFS partition.

Also, I totally recommend using a Windows GUI for the WBFS partition. It takes way too long to rip games using the Wii, and the point of the USB Loader is to save the Wii's laser. Why screw it up with hours of ripping DVDs?