Dead system memory?

kitsune1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I just pulled out my WiiU after a a few years and am running into a few errors at different points in time.. My main goal is to play Gamecube games on the Wii U so I was going to start with a softmod:

• Launching the browser - loading screen begins then freezes followed by 160-2215. The browser never launches.
  • System update - Ran into some error talking about plugging back in a USB? The only thing that was plugged in was the soft mod sd card.
  • Move save data - Getting scared of eMMC failure I decided to move what save data I can to an external USB drive. I successfully moved one game without issue but all other transfers failed, then the system crashed with a 460-4712.
  • Launching save data mover - Now when attempting to launch the save data viewer/mover I receive 160-1710, it doesn't get past the loading window before the error is thrown.
To summarize, that's a 160-2215, crash during system update (plug in removed USB device?), 460-4712, and 160-1710.

Is it dead? Would a NAND-AID/NAND-AIO fix this issue? I tried letting the system run on the home screen for about half an hour but when I do things outside of that it seems to get upset.
Please let me know what you think I can do to revive this system without having to purchase another, or if it really is best to just get replacement. I'm handy and can solder well, so that's not an issue.
Post automatically merged:

To elaborate on the move save data (bullet 3), I was moving data to a 64gb thumb drive. Once I got the error and did some research I was going to try to dump things to a micro-sd card but I couldn't get past the 160-1710 error.

kitsune1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the input, thank you!

With that in mind, and the systems current state, I'm guessing there's no way around pulling the power w/ the updater stuck at 98%?

kitsune1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No error, just completely frozen. I ended up unplugging it and rebooting now I only get a black screen when attempting to boot and the gamepad won't connect

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You have a goof chance that udpih now won't work anymore... So that probably will be a defuse case. But we have to see

kitsune1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is defuse a modchip? I was trying to look for info but wasn't seeing much. More info that I found was pointing to nand-aid.
I appreciate all your input!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was moving data to a 64gb thumb drive.
Might be a stupid question but did you try without that thumb drive connected? Also don't use thumb drives on the Wii U (this might not have been a defective eMMC but a defective thumb drive, the Wii U is known to kill them).

Anyway, it's too late now as the update failed. As SDIO said you need a Pico, then first try UDPIH and if that fails defuse. From there on you grab the logs, then search all the .log files for DATA CORRUPTION and MEDIA ERROR.

In case you see a MEDIA ERROR no need to investigate any more, this is a defective eMMC and you need a NAND-AID.

In case you see one or more DATA CORRUPTION or neither that nor MEDIA ERROR we would need to see the log files to inspect them more deep.

To get a bit into the future: Was there important (save) data on the Wii U? If so you might want to try to clone the original eMMC and fix the corruptions after installing the NAND-AID, which might be hard with all the issues you have now but hopefully logs will tell more. Else you can go and upgrade the internal storage to 64 GB.

More informations:

kitsune1324

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be a stupid question but did you try without that thumb drive connected? Also don't use thumb drives on the Wii U (this might not have been a defective eMMC but a defective thumb drive, the Wii U is known to kill them).

Anyway, it's too late now as the update failed. As SDIO said you need a Pico, then first try UDPIH and if that fails defuse. From there on you grab the logs, then search all the .log files for DATA CORRUPTION and MEDIA ERROR.

In case you see a MEDIA ERROR no need to investigate any more, this is a defective eMMC and you need a NAND-AID.

In case you see one or more DATA CORRUPTION or neither that nor MEDIA ERROR we would need to see the log files to inspect them more deep.

To get a bit into the future: Was there important (save) data on the Wii U? If so you might want to try to clone the original eMMC and fix the corruptions after installing the NAND-AID, which might be hard with all the issues you have now but hopefully logs will tell more. Else you can go and upgrade the internal storage to 64 GB.

More informations:
Great info, thank you very much!! I grabbed a NAND-AIO just in case it's needed and a couple of 64gb micro sd cards.
Regarding your question, I made sure nothing was plugged into the Wii U when the update was attempted.

The Pico is arriving tomorrow so I should be able to test things this weekend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4