Dead Switch

samboni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a Switch Lite that has randomly died on me. Was working fine yesterday, put into sleep mode with around 60% battery life. Then tried to turn it on today.... nothing. No light, no sound, no rumble, absolutely no response. Tried different combinations of Power + button for 30 seconds each time, followed by tapping the power button once... Nothing with any of those ideas. Tried both unplugged and plugged in, on 2 different AC adapters, official Nintendo ones plugged directly into the wall. Haven't opened it up yet, wanting to check what a repair shop will try to charge me for it before that point, but any ideas before I take it to a shop? Trying to go route of shop since I have no exp soldering anything

EDIT: Just got a bit more info - Apparently it was working not even a minute before the sudden death of the console. Battery life was noticed, was plugged in with no response from console. Charger verified working using another Type-C device. Charger plugged back into Switch with still nothing. Then Switch was put into sleep mode, turned back on shortly after to go ahead and play a bit anyway... but didn't turn on.

Last edited by samboni,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a Switch Lite that has randomly died on me. Was working fine yesterday, put into sleep mode with around 60% battery life. Then tried to turn it on today.... nothing. No light, no sound, no rumble, absolutely no response. Tried different combinations of Power + button for 30 seconds each time, followed by tapping the power button once... Nothing with any of those ideas. Tried both unplugged and plugged in, on 2 different AC adapters, official Nintendo ones plugged directly into the wall. Haven't opened it up yet, wanting to check what a repair shop will try to charge me for it before that point, but any ideas before I take it to a shop? Trying to go route of shop since I have no exp soldering anything
Leave it on a charger for a couple hours and then try to get into recovery mode.

Hold power for 15 seconds. Turn on whilst holding down both Vol (+) AND Vol (-) to try to get into recovery mode.

If you’re still not seeing signs of life then it’s time to take it to a shop or ship it to Nintendo.

samboni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave it on a charger for a couple hours and then try to get into recovery mode.

Hold power for 15 seconds. Turn on whilst holding down both Vol (+) AND Vol (-) to try to get into recovery mode.

If you’re still not seeing signs of life then it’s time to take it to a shop or ship it to Nintendo.
Yeah, tried the power + Volume thing (though not after charging for a while) and nothing. Out of warranty so not wanting to bother with Nintendo on it. Also, adding an edit with a little extra info which may not change much

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, tried the power + Volume thing (though not after charging for a while) and nothing. Out of warranty so not wanting to bother with Nintendo on it. Also, adding an edit with a little extra info which may not change much
Yeah…the line where it says: absolutely no response
…kinda seals the deal.

Take it to a shop and hope it’s just a bad battery or something equally simple.

samboni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah…the line where it says: absolutely no response
…kinda seals the deal.

Take it to a shop and hope it’s just a bad battery or something equally simple.
Alright, that's what I was thinking it would probably be. Here's hoping it's a cheap fix, otherwise may just buy a new one and let this be a little project for me to see if I can fix it and maybe try to learn a little soldering in the process

Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: yippeeeeeee