Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else is playing it this weekend?
I am trying to understand how to enjoy the game but not sure yet... My fav. fighting games are Street Fighter and SoulCalibur, DOA 6 looks great and has awesome characters but I'm not sure how I feel about it. =/

Any advice?

Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Christie, Helena and Elliot are my favorites so far. Fun to play as but I'm not sure if I could learn them... still trying. Christie seems the easiest, but I want to learn baby Elliot.><

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advice?

Play previous games?

For this demo, try combo challenge. Usually a good way to start, introduce you to character's bread and butter, basically the stuff you would be doing the most during real combat against another competitive player for damage. Advance combos in the list would be least used, mostly for high damage and execution needed for it. So don't get upset if you can't do them. Find someone who you can get the furthest with and use them I say. I think Hitomi is a beginner friendly character.

Basically what I can say for every fighting game, though I find 3D games challenging to play compared to 2D but to it's core, it's all depends on the title in question. DOA is best played by series to see how it evolves as the game get's balanced and improvements. It won't be easy to transition from 2D to 3D, there isn't no jumping and projectiles are non existent :ninja:

Reactions: Sabarek

Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advice?

Play previous games?

For this demo, try combo challenge. Usually a good way to start, introduce you to character's bread and butter, basically the stuff you would be doing the most during real combat against another competitive player for damage. Advance combos in the list would be least used, mostly for high damage and execution needed for it. So don't get upset if you can't do them. Find someone who you can get the furthest with and use them I say. I think Hitomi is a beginner friendly character.

Basically what I can say for every fighting game, though I find 3D games challenging to play compared to 2D but to it's core, it's all depends on the title in question. DOA is best played by series to see how it evolves as the game get's balanced and improvements. It won't be easy to transition from 2D to 3D, there isn't no jumping and projectiles are non existent :ninja:
I have DOA 5 free version but I'm pretty sure gameplay is different, no?

Yeah, Combo Challenge really works. I am trying it now. Though, it's difficult to understand how to use all the combos in the battle itself. It reminds me of Street Fighter challenges where they give you a ton of different moves to perform but you never really do that in the game.
As of beginner characters, I usually try to find my main and then just learn them. So far I love Helena with her legs (he-he), Christie (obviously -_-) and Elliot (sweet boy <3).

For me it's the opposite - 2D fighting games are always hard because they are usually very fast. Like Guilty Gear, Under Night or others... so much speed. Blazblue is in between but fast, too. As of 3D, I am currently playing SoulCalibur VI and it has been brilliant... have 300 hours already and the character I chose (Groh) feels like my arm. :3 So perfect to play as. And it's another thing to consider, actually... I'm not sure I want to stop playing SC VI just yet, but DOA 6 feels great.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For me the best thing about fighting game is to be able to find a character which will feel perfect. In Street Fighter V for me it's Juri and I was actually very good as her despite her being one of the most difficult chars in SF V. Or so I've been told...
Then there's Groh in SC VI which is just perfect for me.
When I was trying to learn Blazblue (I'll come back to it one day, promise...) I chose Carl. He has this onee-san robot which you can control on the battlefield. It felt really perfect but difficult to learn and I liked that...

I want to find a character with whom I can reach this feeling of perfect connection...
Also I'm kind of torn between just playing SC VI (I could try to learn Raphael, for example), trying out Tekken 7 (they have Negan DLC coming which I really want since Negan is my favorite) and trying out DOA 6. DOA 6 seems like a stable choice, but not sure which one to choose.

Last edited by Sabarek,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have DOA 5 free version but I'm pretty sure gameplay is different, no?
You have to remember that games do change very little sometimes, because they are based on past experiences and improve on them. Just like the many versions of street fighter 2 3 4 and 5 games, they are different by lead way to them but ultimately have things in common. New game is a new game, but is how you experiences the past that helps you understand the changes that make up the current situation. What makes the character bad or good in this version and so on.

Yeah, Combo Challenge really works. I am trying it now. Though, it's difficult to understand how to use all the combos in the battle itself. It reminds me of Street Fighter challenges where they give you a ton of different moves to perform but you never really do that in the game.
As I said before, you won't be doing all of them. Obviously there is plenty of combos. But the ones you can do are enough fundamentally to play a decent game. As the difficulty of execution start to get higher in demand, the reward for doing the higher execution demanding combos is better damage payoff for them. Not only that but it means more options in your moveset that you learn to use since the game can put you into many different situations where some are useful for various reasons. Pressure, gimmicks, tricky situations or just high damage in one attempt. Having access to as much as possible makes you versatile and threatening enough to put fear into your opponents. Though again, don't feel bad if you don't learn them all, enough fundamentals can work for anyone to be good enough as competitor. :P

As of beginner characters, I usually try to find my main and then just learn them. So far I love Helena with her legs (he-he), Christie (obviously -_-) and Elliot (sweet boy <3)
Beginner characters, least one designated by a developer standpoint is just for teaching fundamental. You use them as stepping stone for learning the basics. Then you move on to anyone else you want and learn even more until you find the person right for you. Of course you don't need the beginner character, but it's there for anyone at a lost of how to proceed. :ninja:

For me it's the opposite - 2D fighting games are always hard because they are usually very fast. Like Guilty Gear, Under Night or others... so much speed. Blazblue is in between but fast, too. As of 3D, I am currently playing SoulCalibur VI and it has been brilliant... have 300 hours already and the character I chose (Groh) feels like my arm. :3 So perfect to play as. And it's another thing to consider, actually... I'm not sure I want to stop playing SC VI just yet, but DOA 6 feels great.
It's true, between the debate of 2D or 3D which one is more difficult, is ultimately up to the title in question as being what makes it "difficult"
So it's about how the game is made or intended to be played that makes accessibility and learning to be better the deciding factor in difficulty. 2D games can be as challenging as 3D for various reasons. 3D fighting games like Soul calibur and tekken or Dead or alive and virtual fighter have 3D space for attacking, having another dimension for actions and focusing more on grounded and upclose combat. 2D using Just X and Y Axis without the Z axis 3D games have, you focus on more than up close and grounded combat, but also long distance with projectiles and aerial with the ability to jump. Those are just the basic difference.

Anyway It's just some insight on somethings to think about. Every fighting game is gonna have the same feeling of gameplay cause each one is made to have a easy entry but a huge wall to scale and the only way to get over it is practicing. You either scale the wall until you get over it or decide you had enough and feel comfortable where you reached. That's how I see it anyway, no matter what progress you make, just have fun cause if you don't then is probably time to find something else to play. Not to be negative. :teach:

Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just very careful with fighting games nowadays... Jump Force came out a few weeks ago and I got it digitally because I love Shonen characters, but the game ended up so empty... it's like they didn't even want to try make it good. =/ Ended up disappointed and without 65$ >_< I actually played the demo of the game but didn't look into the gameplay much, saw all the characters and was sold... Also bought Under Night and Guilty Gear, but both ended up too fast. >_<

Anyways, having spent about 3 hours with this deluxe demo, I think I'm going to like DoA 6 a lot. The character selection is just up my street. I'm not a fan of a few male characters that they have, but I can always rage quit those. -___- Not really sure why the whole "toning down sexiness" thing was brought up because the game is as sexy as SoulCalibur VI and definitely not less sexy than DoA 5. Looks like Western media wanted to make fans angry =/
I'll play just a bit more... but probably going to pre-order. Nyotengu is a must, she can manipulate wind! o_o

As I said before, you won't be doing all of them. Obviously there is plenty of combos. But the ones you can do are enough fundamentally to play a decent game. As the difficulty of execution start to get higher in demand, the reward for doing the higher execution demanding combos is better damage payoff for them. Not only that but it means more options in your moveset that you learn to use since the game can put you into many different situations where some are useful for various reasons. Pressure, gimmicks, tricky situations or just high damage in one attempt. Having access to as much as possible makes you versatile and threatening enough to put fear into your opponents. Though again, don't feel bad if you don't learn them all, enough fundamentals can work for anyone to be good enough as competitor.
Yeah, I guess. I spent a lot of time in SC VI without some really simple attacks and was pretty much fine. So, I guess it's the same for all fighting games.

Beginner characters, least one designated by a developer standpoint is just for teaching fundamental. You use them as stepping stone for learning the basics. Then you move on to anyone else you want and learn even more until you find the person right for you. Of course you don't need the beginner character, but it's there for anyone at a lost of how to proceed.
Oh,you mean that. Booooo! Tsumannai! (´ヘ`;) I need to be motivated and what better motivation to learn a character there is than liking them personally?! :3 I spent some time with Elliot and I can definitely understand the game more now... though, Honoka has interesting assets, I admit :(´◦ω◦`):

It's true, between the debate of 2D or 3D which one is more difficult, is ultimately up to the title in question as being what makes it "difficult"
So it's about how the game is made or intended to be played that makes accessibility and learning to be better the deciding factor in difficulty. 2D games can be as challenging as 3D for various reasons. 3D fighting games like Soul calibur and tekken or Dead or alive and virtual fighter have 3D space for attacking, having another dimension for actions and focusing more on grounded and upclose combat. 2D using Just X and Y Axis without the Z axis 3D games have, you focus on more than up close and grounded combat, but also long distance with projectiles and aerial with the ability to jump. Those are just the basic difference.
I think, what makes them different and difficult for some is just personal perception. I love the fighting games where the moves you make are the ones that "make sense", meaning if the character does some spinning attack, you need to do a spinning circle on your controller, that kind of thing. And the more natural it is, the best it is for me. Which is why I'll probably never learn or will try hard on games like Guilty Gear where they have such quick inputs that you can go crazy. @_@

Anyway It's just some insight on somethings to think about. Every fighting game is gonna have the same feeling of gameplay cause each one is made to have a easy entry but a huge wall to scale and the only way to get over it is practicing. You either scale the wall until you get over it or decide you had enough and feel comfortable where you reached. That's how I see it anyway, no matter what progress you make, just have fun cause if you don't then is probably time to find something else to play. Not to be negative.
That's true but for me the line between "I need to learn it to have fun" and "I just need to have fun" is always blurry. I can have fun button-mashing... for 5-10 minutes, but it feels like eating microwave food to me - not what I wanted... but learning the game - sometimes when you learn them, you can see that they're empty. Like Jump Force which I found to be absolutely empty when I actually tried to learn it. And that made me so sad. (⁎˃ᆺ˂) I'm pretty sure DoA 6 won't be this way, though... I only learned a few attacks as Elliot and Helena but executing them felt fun. Especially Helena's leg punishment. Oh, the bliss! ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡~)

Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you getting the game?
Helena will have a goddess outfit, you might like that looking at your avatar, he-he. I even found a pic for you (though, it's not from the 6th game), see how nice I am? ^_^
DXJraOGXcAEFfvA.jpg

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you getting the game?
To be honest, after seeing dead or alive 5 last round, I think it would be better for most people's wallets to wait and see if there is going to be multiple re-release of the game. In early years of fighting games, street fighter was the only series that would sell me the same game again with enhancements instead of just making a sequel like normal people. Don't really feel good about buying 3 versions of basically one game when i could wait for the most complete version. I could spend my money on other complete and worthy games remaining cost efficient. Unless a discount is low enough to consider justifying it, I don't know yet.

Still, if you are enjoying the game, then good for you. I hope your purchase is worth your time. Games are meant to be enjoyed, and if you aren't enjoying it then there is no point in playing them. It's hard to make a single game appealing to everyone, but that's why there is so many games to choose from. Fighting games is appealing to only the people who care which could be considered significantly lower than others like Mario or something. Fighting games have lots going for it when playing people don't like which makes it hard to find value in. But the ones that do most likely enjoy working for their entertainment, something that last longer than your mention of button mashing being a 10 minute microwave meal. :ninja:

Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, after seeing dead or alive 5 last round, I think it would be better for most people's wallets to wait and see if there is going to be multiple re-release of the game. In early years of fighting games, street fighter was the only series that would sell me the same game again with enhancements instead of just making a sequel like normal people. Don't really feel good about buying 3 versions of basically one game when i could wait for the most complete version. I could spend my money on other complete and worthy games remaining cost efficient. Unless a discount is low enough to consider justifying it, I don't know yet.

Still, if you are enjoying the game, then good for you. I hope your purchase is worth your time. Games are meant to be enjoyed, and if you aren't enjoying it then there is no point in playing them. It's hard to make a single game appealing to everyone, but that's why there is so many games to choose from. Fighting games is appealing to only the people who care which could be considered significantly lower than others like Mario or something. Fighting games have lots going for it when playing people don't like which makes it hard to find value in. But the ones that do most likely enjoy working for their entertainment, something that last longer than your mention of button mashing being a 10 minute microwave meal. :ninja:
Yeah, but Last Round came out 3 years after the game's release date. And usually fighting games die within a year or so, even less... SoulCalibur VI is pretty active but I can definitely tell that it has way less players than it did on the first few weeks or when 2B was released as a guest character. Pop-culture is bound to be forgotten once it stops being "shiny and new", and only those who truly like it (or those who don't have enough courage to try something new) remain in online modes. Fighting games are kind of pointless if you can't play them online, AI is always re-using the same behavior and story mode in DOA isn't something that exquisite...

Maybe they'll re-release it when PS5 comes out, but that's a long way from now... and this platform - I'm sure that even if it will get a re-release, it will be available for those who did buy the game. Kind of like Final Fantasy XV Royal content or Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2.

Also I got into Street Fighter V with a base edition and didn't really notice that much difference with the Arcade Edition update. Plus you can grind the game and get some characters for free.

Last edited by Sabarek,

Sabarek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yaaay, started to understand something as Christie. She has these snake like moves which confuse me. >_< But she is fun to learn... and so sexy. It's so funny now to think that the media deceived people into thinking that it'll be less sexy...
Seriously, there's even a "Softness" option in menu which is set to "On" by default, haha.
Also I can definitely say that tight outfits (like Kasumi's main outfit) look as sexy as more revealing ones. They put a lot of effort into all of the assets. -_-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop trying to make on my cakes