DBI MTP Responder on M2 Mac

Guuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I’ve been playing around with it and have had better luck if I use one of those USB-C to USB-A converter dongles with a USB-C to USB-A cable. The ARM Mac’s don’t have USB-A ports, only C. But using a solid USB-C to USB-C cable has basically never worked for me.

Specifically I’m using dongles that came from Google Pixel phones. They’re all identical but they all seem to work just fine with MTP.
I have mac mini m1, it does have 2x USB-A and i don't have any issues with MTP responder :D guess I'm lucky

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
USB-C has always been more than a little finicky. I remember having to use a 2.0 usb hub attached to a dongle back in the day just to get my pixel 2 to connect to any machine; mac or PC.

If anyone has any trouble I highly recommend swapping out cables or adapters or whatever and trying different combinations. You'd be surprised how often this issue pops up with literally any hardware.

My personal theory is that something goes wrong with the usb-c negotiation process.

Reactions: binkinator

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a weird phenomenon. Does USB-A prevent the Mac from trying some sort of negotiation or something?
I think it works better if you convert from C to A, then back to C.

The setup in the photo attached works reliably. Using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable almost never works.

Attachments

• IMG_4015.jpeg
    IMG_4015.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it works better if you convert from C to A, then back to C.

The setup in the photo attached works reliably. Using a standard USB-C to USB-C cable almost never works.
Yeah, I’m w/ @halfashark on the protocol negotiation thing. I think having the USB-A connect in the chain ”prevents” something(?) from happening that normally occurs on a straight C2C cable.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I’m w/ @halfashark on the protocol negotiation thing. I think having the USB-A connect in the chain ”prevents” something(?) from happening that normally occurs on a straight C2C cable.
Could be. I don’t currently have a USB-C logic analyzer to see what’s happening but it’s on the list of things to get.

Skonikol

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
One thing I know for sure is that when connect the console to the MacAir (m1) via the C-C, it starts charging from the switch as from a power bank.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One thing I know for sure is that when connect the console to the MacAir (m1) via the C-C, it starts charging from the switch as from a power bank.

Mine most often does the same.
This is pretty much what I thought was happening.

I assume that either the switch or the computer is like "oh, this is a charger/power source" and just turns off the data line. That or the USB-C to USB-C cables people are using are meant for charging only and/or came bundled with some sort of charger.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty much what I thought was happening.

I assume that either the switch or the computer is like "oh, this is a charger/power source" and just turns off the data line. That or the USB-C to USB-C cables people are using are meant for charging only and/or came bundled with some sort of charger.
I have cables that came with some sort of charging device that are C/C cables and I have quality cables that were intended for use with MTP (some from Samsung, some from Motorola, and quite a few from Apple). All of them do this on my M1. Cables that work fine with my USB-C port on my Windows laptop for MTP do not work at all on my M1 Mac.

I’m inclined to believe that the issue is related to MacOS’s implementation of the USB-C driver stack and Apple not following standards.

Reactions: Skonikol

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or does GBATemps embedded video player not work on mobile for anyone else?

Edit: Watched the video on desktop. This is exactly my experience. For some reason certain applications stop MTP from working on M1 Mac's. Preview seems to be the worst one but I notice that some others do it too. VMware Fusion does it. Skype does it.

Last edited by rcpd,
Reactions: Skonikol

Killsting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I had a similar issue with my M1 MacBook Air. What ended up solving it for me was really odd and kind of specific. First, if you have AppZapper or some other "uninstaller" use it on Android File Transfer for MacOS. Reinstall Android File Transfer, but before you do make sure that you do not have the Preview application open before reinstalling. If you do then you need to reboot before reinstalling. Open Android File Transfer to make sure it runs. Now do not open Preview at all ever. If you open Preview you need to reboot before Android File Transfer will work again.

Even still scenario 2 will happen more often than scenario 3. But it has been more reliable for me. On my Intel MacBook Pro, I do not have this issue at all. It works as intended. But it may be a difference in software on the Macs because one runs Ventura 13.2 and the other runs Monterey 12.6.3.

Edit: You may have better luck than I did with OpenMTP (hxxps://openmtp.ganeshrvel.c0m/). It does seem to have more options than Android File Transfer. Be sure to fix the links by removing the "x" and "0" and replacing them with their respective characters. I'm unable to post links.
Thanks, It works finally!! better than Android File Transfer.

Reactions: rcpd

trimtanks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What eventually solved it for me was the USB-C to USB-A + dongle trick mentioned previously. Definitely seems like there is something weird with how Apple implemented USB-C.

lucasabrantes

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To make it work reliably:
- do not use male type-c to male type-c cable. Use male type-c to female usb-a adapter and male usb-a to male type-c cable. For me this solved strange behavior from OP.
- kill any cloud storage apps or/and preview app. It somehow effects mtp connection (on Ventura at least).
I really thank you for the first tip. i've just changed for the usb a to usb-c and now my Nintendo Switch is being recognized again.:D:D:D

MinhTran

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I have another solution for those who are using Parallels for Windows, just connect DBI or any damn connection from Switch to Windows, and everything is solved : )
I have tried many ways to transfer files directly from my Mac but all failed. I found out that the "ptpcamerad" process in Mac consumes all MTP bandwidth and seems not to be killed correctly. Only workarounds on the Apple community.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL