Gaming Datel's New PSP Action Replay for 3000/Go!

raing3

CNET_Richard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
psparnew.jpg

It seems Datel may have hit the holy grail and done something the PSP homebrew scene has not even imagined. They have forged Sony's signature and made a new PSP Action Replay in the form of an EBOOT.PBP which boots on all PSPs currently up to firmware 6.20. Yes that included the PSP-3000 and PSP Go!

Unlike the previous PSP AR which used the Pre-IPL exploit and a Pandora battery this one seems almost like a legit PSP application and loads straight from the XMB. Datel have even been kind enough to release a free Demo version making it easy for everyone to give it a try and unlike the old PSP AR this one even boots on Custom Firmware.

So what will this lead to. Will Datel share any of their research information or tools with the homebrew scene which have helped them with their previous products. What will Sony's response be and will this new PSP Action Replay be able to withstand future firmware updates from Sony.

One thing is for certain Datel have done an amazing job with this new product and hopefully the new PSP AR will be of assistance to the homebrew scene.

For those interested in where the PSPAR downloads its files from. Most of the HTTP requests seem to be related to the information on the page at http://www.maximummemory.com/PSPActionRepl...10_settings.asp.

pspar user manual
pspar website
source

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
BoxShot said:
blink.gif
WHAT!?

Ok now if they released the code to forge Sony's signature they wouldn't that possible allow any psp to run at least any cfw enabler? (Provided that there is one made for that firmware.)
why even have cfw if you can sign all your warez and homebrew to work on ofw?
rolleyes.gif

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't be so redundant? Since you would have to sign everything. Just sign one cfw enabler and voila you don't have to sign everything else.
smile.gif

Then again if we signed everything we wouldn't have to worry about the psn or getting new cfw after everytime Sony made an update to ofw.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
let the warez groups sign the releases while we sit back with our ofw psps with online capabilities
smile.gif

no worrying about turning your psp off for 3000 users with hen cfws

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
True.
Actually I like your idea better it's just that the cfw thing was the first thing that popped up in my mind.
Only thing is I want my plugins and cpu speed!
I have a 1000 so I never had to worry about that!

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
I can see this being blocked very quickly by Sony especially if the homebrewers find a way to reverse engineer it.
And I hope they do, as much as I don't mind legally owning some PSP games (makes up for the fact that I have long since sold all my DS games due to having a cart), being able to run some homebrew apps on my PSP Go would be nice.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DSGamer64 said:
Jamstruth said:
I can see this being blocked very quickly by Sony especially if the homebrewers find a way to reverse engineer it.
And I hope they do, as much as I don't mind legally owning some PSP games (makes up for the fact that I have long since sold all my DS games due to having a cart), being able to run some homebrew apps on my PSP Go would be nice.
You hope it's blocked or you hope it's reverse engineered?

darkmaster_101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that reverse engineering it won't help, I might be wrong but as far as I'm aware the psp checks the signature against some kind of hash code from the file, so the slightest change in the file and the signature is broken, even if we reverse engineer it, all it gives us is code we can't change. Sony have released allot of official updates and other apps and no one has managed to get the code from there.

However, if we can add our own codes we might be able to make a code for a game, or even the XMB that allows us to run code from a file.

I guess it depends on how datel have handled this, maybe the accidentally (or on purpose) left the sony key in the code for people to find.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Livin in a box said:
Won't the EBOOT.PBP file just be leaked onto the Internets, therefore we won't have to buy this?
you need to activate the eboot for your PSP for it to work.
if you don't enter a valid key it will only be activated as a trial version.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
thedicemaster said:
Livin in a box said:
Won't the EBOOT.PBP file just be leaked onto the Internets, therefore we won't have to buy this?
you need to activate the eboot for your PSP for it to work.
if you don't enter a valid key it will only be activated as a trial version.
Even a trial version should be enough to step through it in a debugger and see how it works. Hopefully whatever trick they used to get it to boot can be applied to other homebrew. Of course, it is entirely possible they managed to get ahold of Sony's private keys (either via brute forcing, Sony stupidly leaving it laying around, or other side channel attacks such as checkbook cryptanalysis or even black bag cryptanalysis) so reverse engineering might be useless. Of course, if you really want Sony's private keys, you could just use good old rubber hose cryptanalysis (nowadays known as waterboard cryptanalysis).

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nl255 said:
Of course, if you really want Sony's private keys, you could just use good old rubber hose cryptanalysis (nowadays known as waterboard cryptanalysis).
rofl2.gif
This is obviously the very delicate method of cryptoanalysis which involves tying the CEO to a chair in a dark room and shooting him with a fire hose?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)