Gaming Datel in Deep SH*T with Sony over LITE BLUE BATTERY!

kobykaan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
original article

portable videogamer.com

UK Accessory manufacturer Datel is facing legal trouble from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe over its plans to release a service mode battery that can hack the PSP 3000. The British firm triumphantly announced that it had cracked the mysterious encryption preventing homebrew from running on the new PSP back in November. However, as of January 2009, the device has not appeared in shops. Last week, Datel quietly removed any reference to the “Lite Blue Tool” from its website, instead selling the device as a replacement battery (called the Max Power Digital) that does not put the PSP 3000 into service mode.

Today, we received official word from the company, advising customers about the reasons for the delay:

QUOTE said:
“Due to legal action by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe we are currently not able to fulfil orders for the Lite Blue Tool Battery. Any orders received for this product have not been processed and no charges have been made. We will inform customers about availability of this product when this situation has been resolved.”

It is likely that SCEE has based its case against Datel on the argument that the lite blue tool contains proprietary source code owned by Sony. For example, Sony could claim that by copying the software key required to unlock encryption on the PSP 3000, Datel is infringing on their copyright.

Reverse engineering is a tricky concept for the courts to figure out, and Sony may very well have a stong case against Datel. At least in America, however, the courts have often sided with the reverse engineer, rather than with the original manufacturer. For example, in the first such video-game related case, the US Federal Circuit Court of Appeals found that reverse-engineering a console to look at source code did not infringe on the maker’s rights. Incredibly, this ruling would have allowed Atari to run its own games on the NES console without authorization (except for the fact that Atari obtained the code through fraudulent means, and not entirely by examining Nintendo’s chips under a microscope).

All is not lost for Datel and the Lite Blue Tool, however the fate of the device is likely to be tied up in the European Courts for some time.

WHOOPS!
nyanya.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like good news to me. The PSP is getting bled dry by moochers, and with the amount of hackable 1K and 2K models out there, I'd say it's enough already for those adverse to spending a couple bucks while allowing Sony to protect the newest system. That protection will allow whiny and leary 3rd parties to have more confidence to release games that threatened to or had pulled some/all support over the issue.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
They didn't manage to hack it, they relied upon an assumption that a CFW would have been released by the time the battery was out, they're blaming Sony for their own incompetance.

The battery doesn't exist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1