Gaming Dash Launch 2.0 released (updated for 2.01)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once again only for 9199 (freeboot 0.3x line) JTAG hacked machines.

Dash Launch which is a program for JTAG / SMC hacked 360s to quick launch programs at boot (aimed at those wanting to load a custom dash instead of NXE out of the gate) and hack loader (many patches/hacks for the menu are built for use with this) has been updated to make life a bit easier to install in the first place (you probably will not have to rebuild a whole NAND image*) and squash a few bugs/oddities.

*if you are stuck on XBR there are many tools out now to help convert and the last few versions of 360 flash tool has the option to extract/make the relevant files to build freeboot with and there are prebuilt nand images http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15694.0 if you want them (just need a keyvault injection and if you can a smc config injection).

Xbins link (NFO below).
http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1875.nfo

ping limit patch- the patch to drop the ping limit allowing client 360s (hosts can be stock even) to use system link over higher latency connections (VPN over the internet for instance- xlink kai being an example of a program geared for it).

content patch I think is http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15627.0 (a patcher so you do not have to patch DLC and XBLA to work on your 360 using something like XM360 which in related news hit v1.9b a couple of days back)

The other big patch is the controller remapping patch: http://gbatemp.net/t242733-xpremap-v1-0-released

update 2.01 released to add a version check and fix a minor big with the memory units path.
http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1876.nfo

Code:
Dash Launch 2.0
---------------

ÂÂÂÂat time of this writing, this is ONLY compatible with freeBOOT 9199
ÂÂÂÂread info_launch.ini for info on options and setting launch parameters.
ÂÂÂÂThis a core rewrite, major changes were done to the paths used in the ini
ÂÂÂÂfile, the installer can update these for you if you have the old ini files
ÂÂÂÂaccessible at the time of install. See the inlcuded sample ini files.
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂThe installer is now much more robust, and can even flash the appropriate
ÂÂÂÂpatches to your console for you, all that is required is that you have
ÂÂÂÂinstalled freeboot 9199

================================================================================
ÂÂÂÂOverview - what it does
================================================================================
- It will launch a XeX or CON file from the path you specified in launch.ini
ÂÂÂÂas long as it's valid
- Depending on the button you hold when the xbox is trying to load the NXE, it
ÂÂÂÂwill divert to the xex/con tied to that button or return to default as
ÂÂÂÂdefined in launch.ini
- Depending which button is held when closing miniblade in NXE (use Y button to
ÂÂÂÂclose, release then hold a QL button) it will quick launch a CON or XEX
ÂÂÂÂfrom your ini file
- allows one to patch kernel/xam at bootup with a freeBOOT patch style bin file
ÂÂÂÂfrom usb or hdd (in that order) must be in root of the device and be named
ÂÂÂÂ"kxam.patch" and be no larger than 0x4000 bytes. Again, kxam.patch binary
ÂÂÂÂformat is the same as a compiled freeboot patch bin, but uses real virtual
ÂÂÂÂaddresses rather than offsets - see 1.0 release for a windows patch builder
- with the included patch set, launch.xex acts as a helper to detect when
ÂÂÂÂxbox1 emulator loads, allowing memory unlock patch and xbox1 emulator
ÂÂÂÂto function together

ÂÂÂÂInstallation
- have the required freeboot version installed on the console

- get the installer to a place where you can run it, and do so. Follow onscreen
ÂÂÂÂinstructions. The installer will prompt you if it needs to update the 
ÂÂÂÂfreeboot patches and will give you an opportunity to configure the new
ÂÂÂÂoptions

- edit and place launch.ini where you would like it
ÂÂÂÂ**See inlcuded sample and the info ini which describes the options allowed**

note: the installer includes upgrade paths for dash launch 1.0 users, it will
ÂÂÂÂoptionally update launch.ini files wherever found to use the new path names

ÂÂÂÂwhen upgrading an existing flash ini file, the installer will fix the paths
ÂÂÂÂas needed and write it back to the installer's files directory to be written
ÂÂÂÂto flash, if you have provided an ini file for flash installation be sure to
ÂÂÂÂsay no to the upgrade prompt for an existing flash ini file

ÂÂÂÂImportant - going to NXE
- if you need to go back to NXE and have default item set in ini, HOLD RB while
ÂÂÂÂexiting game via miniblade or exit using one of the miniblade options like 
ÂÂÂÂfamily settings or system settings

ÂÂÂÂINI notes
-it's possible to have multiple ini files, priority is: USB, HDD, BB MU, FLASH
ÂÂÂÂ(** it is NOT recommended to launch USB con/xex from hdd ini **)
ÂÂÂÂ-see http://code.jellycan.com/simpleini/ for more info on the ini parser

ÂÂÂÂCaveats
The work herein is presented as-is, any risk is solely the end users
ÂÂÂÂresponsibility. While all of us are sorry when unforseen things happen, not
ÂÂÂÂevery situation or mistake can be accounted for before they have been
ÂÂÂÂspotted. Please use responsibly.

ÂÂÂÂThanks
-Big thanks to those who opened the way and those who made it even more usable.
-Thanks to Tux, Arbiter, stk, the2000 and Corrupted for all the bugs you caught
ÂÂÂÂtrying to sneak by!
-Thanks to Tux, Ironman, JPizzle and Dionis Fernandez for helping procure a
ÂÂÂÂJasper big block console to extend testing and fix NAND MU corruption bug
ÂÂÂÂDionis - you went above and beyond!
-Thanks to vgcrepairs for providing the cygnos, dash launch likely wouldn't 
ÂÂÂÂexist without one.
-Thanks to FBDev and mojobojo for the data used for the patch options
-Thanks to unknown, you know why
-Greetz to XeDev

~brought to you by cOz~
??/??/2010

ÂÂÂÂKnown Bugs
- Thanks to excellent testers, none were corned by the time of this writing. If
ÂÂÂÂyou find any during use, find the release thread at xbox-scene and please
ÂÂÂÂreport them there.

ÂÂÂÂChangeLog
v2.0
- plugins now use logical paths just like quick launch buttons
- option subvert Y to exit miniblade while in NXE to load button/default (fixed)
- added common (9199) content and ping limit patches as options
- mostly runs in system threads, startup completes while bootanim runs
- completely subverted dash.xex, no more CD issues or NXE split seconds
- removed insistance on 0/1/2 paths and reliance on CaPs to detect
- return to NXE via miniblade for system settings and others works w/o using RB
- added big block NAND mu as possible device
- optionally subvert Y to exit miniblade while in NXE to load button/default
- added xell loader to patch set and included a xex to load xell
- removed reboot on fatal error from patches
- included reboot/shutdown on fatal error as settings
- installer onscreen output cleaned up, now shuts down console at end of install
- added ini file updater to installer
- added patch updater to installer

v1.0
- added other devices for launch targets
- added flash for location to load launch.ini
- added flash installer supports flashing launch.xex and launch.ini
- with help of freeboot patches, fixes issues with xbox1 emulator on memory
ÂÂÂÂunlocked patchset
- overhaul ini parser with simpleIni, support for most buttons and a default
- added dll/plugin loading support
- added hooking/return to launch app instead of NXE (hold RB to bypass)
- added kernel/xam boot time/one time patch engine
- added export to allow the loading of other system modules

v0.02
- added a small delay to allow XBR users to launch CON
- implemented a simple ini file parser and fileExist
- auto detects LIVE and XEX2 to use the appropriate launch method
- fails to dash reliably now

v0.01
-initial release

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
first of all, thanks for the info fast.
gonna change it up for a sec,
trying to add covers and other images to my FSD2 alpha (havnt upgraded yet), but cant figure it out.
tried googleing and running the FSD1.20 indexer and get nothing... comes up totally blank.
wondering what sizes and names it expects each of the different pics to be... and thats it.
any help would be great.
its just that trying to set my 360 up near my router would just be a big pain, moving heaps of crap around just to get some pictures.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you mean the standard images such as those as covers for normal xbox 360 games, FSD2 downloads them automatically. There is no need for the indexer anymore.

Otherwise wait for a later release, it's just an alpha after all. From the SVN, they are on a much later build as it is (build 1044 vs SVN build 1440)

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
If you mean the standard images such as those as covers for normal xbox 360 games, FSD2 downloads them automatically. There is no need for the indexer anymore.
and herein lies my problem, its not connected to the net... hence needing template images... like explained... sizes, names, image types, etc... anyone?

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys need help installed this now my xbox wont boot up turns on ok but wont boot into anything just hangs there nothing on the screen please help
is there any way i can restore my xbox

cheers smokin69

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@tk_saturn I agree, bugfixes are always welcome though and I have guided a few people through building a NAND image with it included so the installer part is a nice break from that.

@smokin69 I assume you were on freeboot 9199 (preferably 0.32 but any of the 0.3 line should work) when you did all this. Still remain calm as there are many options/things to try before we have to start taking extreme measures.

Does it boot to xell or xellous?- to boot into it open the drive to turn the 360 on/have it open when the 360 turns on and it will swap to that. If it manages that you always have a recovery option. Equally does it do anything when you press the middle button?

Next up we try to get dashlaunch to work- I suspect it is trying to boot something that is corrupt or otherwise not there (it should fall back but you never know). Fortunately USB takes the priority in all of this so you can use a simple USB drive (does not need to be formatted to the 360 format) and make up an ini and have a xex file for it to boot into- the program came with a nice ini example- point it to something like xexmenu if you have it (personally I would stick it on the same USB drive and point to that to make life easier).
On the other hand if you still have your USB drive in there remove it and it should fall back to things as it is not there.
Similarly there are options to bypass dashlaunch (holding RB on boot for one)

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi how are you
right not sure if i was on 9199 when i press the middle button the main power button turns on and nothing happens havent tried the eject button yet
stupid me said yes to all the install questions on the installer will try the rb button and get back to you

cheers

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the ini i should use is what,can i use the sample_launch or info_launch on a usb drive do i need to change this to "launch.ini" and pop it o the root of the drive
as i said it doesent even revert back to the orignal dash thinking i might have to reflash the nand again if i can find the orignal
just a quick question if i cant find the orignal nand am i screwed or can i recover this xbox i can get the key from the drive no probs as that is flashed also
just thinking has this install fraged my nand would the kv be ok...

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah rename the sample_launch.ini to launch.ini (you can fiddle with a few things if you want) and stick it on the root of the USB drive

Donor nands are available (I linked them back in the first post)- you will need your keyvault though and if you can also get yourself a copy of the smc_config aka config blocks. Also the DVD key/drive is nothing to do with the CPU key that the NAND uses.

Do also check xell/xellous still works- it is a bit more contained than the dashboard and less prone to these sorts of issues (not to mention xellous can dump the required data and flash the new nand if you build one/find one).

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the help really appricate it will try when i get home from work ill let you know how i get on thanks again

cheers

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi tried that when i got home xell wont work tried with and without harddrive looks like i corupted the nand any other suggestions i could try

cheers

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If xell will not work you might still have the backup xell mode. Grab a USB controller and plug it into the back of the 360 (where the wifi might go) and see if it boots then, I do not think there is an option for wireless but the DVD remote's windows button should do the same if you have one of them.

After this you are looking at wiring up the NAND again and flashing it manually- you will need either a working copy of your NAND or to build one which will require an unecrypted keyvault (or at least the keys for it if you are going to try and pull it from the present NAND). If it comes to this then we can expand on it as and when it comes to it.

Oh and others reading 2.01 is out- version check (to avoid people updating with XBR) and minor bugfix with memory units
http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1876.nfo

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi fast6919
right have found my nand files,extracted the kv and injected into xbr and fllashed now getting e71 on boot,fixed the 2 dumps using xgui nand fixer and will flash again,just wondering if this will not work can i extract the kv and config and inject into donor nand.if so can you tel me how to do this i point to a tut

cheers smokin69

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
E71 is a dashboard error- the lack of error would be nice but the good news is that you can pull it back.

If you have a working keyvault and nand you might as well jump to freeboot. First though we will a try a proper method of updating

The tool you want is 360 flash tool- 0.95 being the version of choice http://team-xecuter.com/360-flash-dump-tool-v0-95/

Click settings and then keys and enter your CPU key.
Click settings and then options and make sure extract ibuild compatible files is selected.
Open your nand- it should open without errors and have everything make sense in the boxes on the right hand side (this version is probably the best but you might try 0.94 if that fails to work)
Now click extract and select everything you can except raw file system (nothing will be lost by doing so but you will not gain anything for selecting it).
Wherever you have chosen to extract it should be a freeBOOT\Data directory which has all the files from your 360 you will need to build a freeboot image
Now we build freeboot.
Personally I use the original tool and the command line
You will need freeboot 0.32 and a copy of the 9199.zip file (the kernel we are basing this all one)- xbins will have it and if you are not familiar with xbins then http://www.360mods.net/index.php?file=deta...;name=downloads will sort that.
http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1827.nfo is the NFO for freeboot. You might as well follow that (we can add dashlaunch in later via software on the 360- despite this annoyance you do want it there).
1bl key aka first bootloader key can be found with a simple search- it is common to all 360s.
Once you have built this image then flash it and your 360 should spring back to life.

Some of the tools have caught up with this method ( something like http://www.bestpig.fr/ ) but this way is less annoying to debug and while I will not say more likely to work (it uses the same methods after all) ignoring having to paste in things it is going to cause less headaches.

The method of injecting it the keyvault into the premade nand is quite similar
kevault and SMC_config (an entirely different file from SMC.bin) are the files that more or less make your 360 yours although you can accept other config blocks at the cost of now sharing a mac address and other choice bits of data with another 360 (which can get tricky if you are going for over the internet system link with someone else in the same position).
http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15694.0 has a nice guide and links to the tools. The only addition you would want to make is much like you import/replace the keyvault you do the same with the config blocks aka smc_config.bin
Flash that back

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi fast6191
looks like the nands i have are corrupt tried all the tips you gave,using 360nandflasher just keep getting errors have no problem getting into xell using the eject method but its just throws up the christmas lights.....
think ill just abandon all hope my own fault should not have flashed the xbox with the dash launch 2.0
installer..
dont know if i can do anything else can i take the nand from another xbox and pop it in or can i just get a hacked nand not sure if anything like this will work

cheers for all your help really appricate it
smokin69

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You say you have your keyvault and other files- keep them as we might come back to them once it starts working in some fashion again.

"no problem getting into xell using the eject method but its just throws up the christmas lights"- does this mean getting into xell throws lights or xell works fine and trying to launch the dash causes lights?
If the former there is also a backup xell you can launch by "Attaching a wired controller on the back USB port, and pressing the X button to powerup the box" but if you can get into xell then it should be OK

There are NAND healing type programs but I think they are a bit beyond what we have here (they are more aimed at coupling together a complete dump from a bunch of partial dumps or dumps with bad areas). Still stuff like xnand healer gui exists
http://www.rigid360.co.uk/Downloads.php

I take it 360 flash tool/dump tool did not work- if so that is very unfortunate (do check and make sure you did not do something silly like enter the DVD key in place of the CPU key).

Finally if that does not work follow the guide on the following to the letter using the supplied keyvault
http://www.xboxhacker.org/index.php?topic=15694.0
If you have not got flashing working with xell then
Name your chosen NAND image updflash.bin and stick it on the root of a USB drive
Pull the plug (not just hit the power button) on the 360- best to leave it for 20 seconds
Insert the USB drive and plug it back in

Once you get it working again you can inject your data and flash that back in but that comes later.

smokin69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi FAST6191
right got a new xbox that is jtagable xenon
using 360 usb nandflasher
dumped nand using setting as follows
keep kv and config ticked
no other options ticked
dumped nand 5 times checked in total commander all match
checked in 360 flash tool nand loads ok
shows exploiatble nand cb 1903
when i flash back xbr with kv injected christmas lights
when i flash back orig nand christmas light

is my usb 360nandflasher flashed broke of am i selecting the wrong setting in 360 nandflasher
soldering is sound
never had any problems with lpt but unfourtanly my laptop i used for that is dead
cant figure this out
sorry to be pain but just like to thank you for all the previous help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the factory making factories is unemployed lol +1