Damned laptop.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a couple months ago, I got myself a brand new, F model Sony Vaio. Today, after rebooting my laptop, it came up with an error for my battery.

My wifi thing on my laptop also shut itself down, so it would "protect the SIM card". I didn't even know that my laptop had one.
I might not be on the Temp', or Steam or anything for a while, since I'm using my sister's for a little bit. Sorry iFish, for practically leaving you waiting.

I fixed the battery problem (I think, maybe not permenately.), now I just need to see If I can fix the wifi problem.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
Is it a netbook or something similar? If it is then no wonder, otherwise, WTF.
Uh, what? First of all, if you watch the video you can tell it is not a netbook, and sony has never made vaio netbooks. Secondly "if it is then no wonder", uh, what? People need to stop being so ignorant about netbooks. I hate to break it to you, but just because they are only $300 they are STILL usable, working computers with the same types of hardware found in more expensive pc's. It's true the hardware is outdated, but saying that they are unusable/will constantly crash/etc. is retarded considering most netbooks have higher specs than many pc's which were in circulation when XP was released, which is what many run. Many nowadays come with 7 installed, but if you look at my sig I can tell you all 4 OS's run fine even though my hardware is now somewhat outdated even for a netbook.

To /rant, if you are one of the thousands of people who know near nothing about computers and equate higher costs with better performance, then by all means be perfectly happy with your overpriced macbook or alienware laptop.

To address your issue, I couldn't really see in the video too well but it looked like you may have only fastened one side of the battery cover? Otherwise I have no idea but I have never seen such a message on any computer I have used, so is it possible that the warning is from a program Sony included when you bought the laptop? For example many companies now put in similar messages that are meant to let you know when the computer has stopped the harddrive from spinning when the machine is tilted. I would run msconfig and see if there are any programs like that from Sony that may be displaying the message, and if there are I would just disable the programs from running. About the WiFi thing, unless you ordered a PC with mobile broadband I don't see why there would be a SIM in you PC, so maybe it is just another problem with something Sony preinstalled on the machine, and I would just disable it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Above poster: Herp Derp.

If you've ever used a net book, you'll notice they get more hot faster than a regular laptop. Also I jumped at the netbook thing because generally you have to have a service to use, and usually phone services use sim cards. I'll admit I didn't watch the video because it has nothing to do with anything I'll have in the future.

To answer your /rant, I am computer literate, I know my way around a basic P.C. and could build my own with a bit of hardware advice. Lol, I hate Mac, and Alienware just looks awesome.

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You can run XP just fine, but your laptop won't as long as my desktop even from XP times just because of the heating issue on netbooks, they take bad care of themselves

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yay
biggrin.gif
with my ub3r h4xing 5ki11z (aka: system restore), I managed to get everything working. Now, to delete some corrupted data files >: )

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chaosruler said:
You can run XP just fine, but your laptop won't as long as my desktop even from XP times just because of the heating issue on netbooks, they take bad care of themselves
What exactly is this 'heating issue' you're both harping on about? A netbook, like a said, is a compact laptop with low spec parts. It is not some deviously engineered piece of hardware that overheats for no apparent reason. A netbook, like any laptop, has computer parts such as a processor that GENERATE HEAT (woah!). The reason computers aren't spontaneously igniting all over the globe is that they come equipped with cooling devices, such as fans and heatsinks.

Now, I have no idea what you guys think a netbook is exactly (sterl500 apparently thinks you need a need a subscription to use one? lol) but they are made by different computer companies. Now I know this obviously goes against all stereotypes you have heard about netbooks, but just like any other computer the design and parts included in a netbook differ from company to company and model to model. My netbook, which I am typing on right now, has been powered on for around 7 hours straight and is not noticeably hot as I am typing this, nor has it ever overheated.

Finally, I'd like to know from sterl500 how you think any sort of heating issue would have resulted in a notification about the computer using a bad battery?

I have had this netbook for over a year and a half now and I have never had any problems with it. The cooling system is simple: one side fan, one bottom fan, and one metal heatshield beneath the keyboard. However, I can tell you firsthand that it does not get any hotter than any other laptop I have owned, and it has never overheated which is more than I can say for my last full sized, Gateway laptop.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dmonkey21 said:
I can tell you all 4 OS's run fine even though my hardware is now somewhat outdated even for a netbook.
First of all, HOLY FUCK. A quad boot netbook. That's pretty fucking beast. I'm assuming SOME hardware mods, right?

On topic, I'd see if your battery didn't actually do anything physical to your computer. Just a thought. Other than that, I don't know. I'm more of a gaming person myself.
tongue.gif

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
dmonkey21 said:
I can tell you all 4 OS's run fine even though my hardware is now somewhat outdated even for a netbook.
First of all, HOLY FUCK. A quad boot netbook. That's pretty fucking beast. I'm assuming SOME hardware mods, right?

On topic, I'd see if your battery didn't actually do anything physical to your computer. Just a thought. Other than that, I don't know. I'm more of a gaming person myself.
tongue.gif
Nope, the only hardware mod I've done was replacing my screen after I smashed it on a chair a few weeks ago... other than that everything is stock lol. Ya I totally understand the reasoning for gaming. You can't really play any good 3D games made after 2004 on this machine (especially since mine doesn't even have ION lol), so a netbook is definitely not a viable option for gamers. Also the screen or keyboard size is a deterrent for some. It just kind of annoys me when people who seem to have no real experience using a netbook, and not much information regarding general computing assume a netbook is a POS because they have heard bad things about it or they just assume a computer that costs 1/3 the cost of the majority of larger laptops can't be good lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn