OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, i need some help.

My computer is sitting on the last router in a series of three:

internet -> Linksys N (192.168.1.1) -> Linksys G (...2.1) -> Linksys G (...3.1)-> Wild'Puter (...3.101)
(i hate wireless, and to hardwire, they're all running through ceilings and whatnot, from upstairs to downstairs. And we have 7 computers all hooked up and running)

Is there a way i can change ...2.1 & ...3.1 to NOT have those IP's, but really just extend IPs off of ...1.1? (so instead of my 'puter being ...3.101, i'd be ...1.101, but still hooked to the 3rd router)?

IF NOT:
Reason for what i'm doing this: i'm trying to start up a private Minecraft server for a buddy of mine, but i'm having port problems, and i can't figure out how to forward the ports for computer at 192.168.2.104 through both routers so he can connect.

That's one of a few reasons i'd like the first option, but if not, any thoughts on the second?

Thanks guys
smile.gif

EDIT: Also, for the private server, i don't think it'll run too well on the current system, i was just trying to get a connection to work. i MAY try to run it on my main system here, but i'd need the ports forwarded through 3 modems... so either of the above will help later. And i may post my priv serv info... but we have better GBAtemp servers already
tongue.gif

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I believe you can manually set the router/hub IPs to 192.168.1.2 and ...1.3 and still work. Generally I've not tried it myself because I've never come into that situation. Generally the whole reason for making it ...2.1 and ...3.1 is to distinguish each network according to the router/hub it's connected to.

For port forwarding, if I remember (it's been 3 years since I've set this up for someone else), you make each router forward ports to the router ahead in the chain (basically point each router at each gateway) and share the same port, rather than point them all at the DNS.

I've found it so much easier to set up routers/hubs in access relay mode (think USB hubs and how they work) than have them as fully functional routers. It puts more strain on the main router having to manage them all, but it's a lil faster because each router/hub attached doesn't need to think about what's going where, and just directs packets to the IP specified.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I believe you can manually set the router/hub IPs to 192.168.1.2 and ...1.3 and still work. Generally I've not tried it myself because I've never come into that situation. Generally the whole reason for making it ...2.1 and ...3.1 is to distinguish each network according to the router/hub it's connected to.

For port forwarding, if I remember (it's been 3 years since I've set this up for someone else), you make each router forward ports to the router ahead in the chain (basically point each router at each gateway) and share the same port, rather than point them all at the DNS.

I've found it so much easier to set up routers/hubs in access relay mode (think USB hubs and how they work) than have them as fully functional routers. It puts more strain on the main router having to manage them all, but it's a lil faster because each router/hub attached doesn't need to think about what's going where, and just directs packets to the IP specified.

After some quick googling, I think a 'relay' is what i'm looking for. Will that put the two extra chained routers to the 192.168.1.x, but then all computers on the network will be 192.168.1.x as well)?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
You have to put the 2 routers that you do not want to override the DHCP of the first one by setting the operating mode from gateway to router. This should be found under the advance settings.

I tried the gateway to router, but i lost connection outside of router 3. I could hit the one i'm directly connected to, but no internets, and no connection to ...2.1 or ...1.1. I both /release/renew'd and cycled the router, and still nothing. I changed it back to 'gateway' and no problems.

Do i need to disable DHCP on ...3.1? (i messed with that a LITTLE bit, but i didn't effect the outcome... so, i dunno) (thx for the idea, i appreciate it)

Any other ideas, anyone?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I think you need your 2nd and 3rd to act as a "switch" (or a bridge?). I don't know if it will work with your routers or not but I'm not sure.

If the router can act like a switch, i think this is how you set it up.

Connect cable from router 1 LAN port 4 to router 2 LAN port 1 (not WAN!!).
connect router 2 LAN port 4 to router 3 LAN port 1 (not WAN!!).

I'm actually using a dedicated switch, I can't remember if I tried this with normal routers before but it seems familiar...

Also make sure that DHCP and all that crap is off on the second and third routers.

p.s. I could be wayyy off target here. But it seems like it makes sense in my memory lol.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OSW said:
I think you need your 2nd and 3rd to act as a "switch" (or a bridge?). I don't know if it will work with your routers or not but I'm not sure.

Connect cable from router 1 LAN port 1 to router 2 LAN port 1 (not WAN!!).

I'm actually using a dedicated switch, I can't remember if I tried this with normal routers before but it seems familiar...

Also make sure that DHCP and all that crap is off on the second and third routers.

AHA! That's what i didn't do! (i did this YEARS ago between 2 routers... but i can never remember, and that's the step!

Question- Will i need to set the "gateway" to "router"? Or is this purely a wire solution?
(i'll try a few ways later, it's just time for bed now, and if anyone knows... it'd be cool to skip a try or two tomorrow night
wink.gif
)

Thx OSsy! You win a high five (because i'm 99% sure this is right... it sounds heavily familiar).
*highfive*

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing something similar but wirelessly, I have my FIOS router in the office, normal settings, here in my room I have a linksys flashed with a some custom firmware cant remember the name. which is connected to a switch, I set it the router bridge mode, and have it connect over the wifi, you should just be able to connect with a ethernet cable, and manually set the 2nd and 3rd routers IP to something like 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 and then disable dhcp on both of them, so the IP's are done by the main router

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
just in case you didn't notice, i fixed some typos in my post so as not to confuse you.

WildWon said:
OSW said:

Connect cable from router 1 LAN port 1 to router 2 LAN port 1 (not WAN!!).

AHA! That's what i didn't do! (i did this YEARS ago between 2 routers... but i can never remember, and that's the step!

Question- Will i need to set the "gateway" to "router"? Or is this purely a wire solution?
(i'll try a few ways later, it's just time for bed now, and if anyone knows... it'd be cool to skip a try or two tomorrow night
wink.gif
)

Thx OSsy! You win a high five (because i'm 99% sure this is right... it sounds heavily familiar).
*highfive*

Lol I hope so because I could be totally wrong... I'm working from a very vague memory of what my cousin taught me (he does a lot of networking). Let us know if you figure it out and if so
grog.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
murkurie said:
I'm doing something similar but wirelessly, I have my FIOS router in the office, normal settings, here in my room I have a linksys flashed with a some custom firmware cant remember the name. which is connected to a switch, I set it the router bridge mode, and have it connect over the wifi, you should just be able to connect with a ethernet cable, and manually set the 2nd and 3rd routers IP to something like 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 and then disable dhcp on both of them, so the IP's are done by the main router

I'll try that, if the lan/wan thing doesn't work. My problem... when i disable DHCP on my ...3.1 router, i /release with no problem, but the /renew hangs until i ctrl-c the command. Do i need to cycle the router after disabling DHCP? (i don't think i did that, but i don't know if it would help)...
Also, i didn't change the IP address of the router after disabling, and it told me to release/renew, so maybe i'll try that option too.
(only problem is my router is just out of sitting range, so to do a hard reset is a stand, walk over, move some things to get router, reset, re-position things around router... after three resets, it's a pain
wink.gif
)

OSW said:
*snip'd*
Lol I hope so because I could be totally wrong... I'm working from a very vague memory of what my cousin taught me (he does a lot of networking). Let us know if you figure it out and if so
grog.gif

Yea, it could be totally wrong, but like Originality also states, it sounds too familiar to be too wrong
wink.gif
I'm just happy for another idea (that sounds legit)

QUOTE(Originality @ Oct 4 2010, 04:33 AM)
It sounds familiar to me too, the whole distinction between LAN and WAN and "bridging" routers, so it's probably right. Sorry for not remembering those key terms ;p
No worries, you already gave me more idea's than i could remember. And i'd rather have some possibly wrong (legit) ideas, rather than being stuck with no idea at all
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither