Daikoukai Jidai 4 - Rota Nova

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by rockyspirit, Dec 25, 2010.

1. rockyspirit
    OP

rockyspirit Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2010
    Brazil
    First of all, hello. This is my first time posting here and I'm already giving a try at some serious hacking.
    I'm a programmer, know some Japanese and like hacking stuff when I have the free time, so I decided to try something for the DS.

I've been trying to hack Daikoukai Jidai 4 - Rota Nova for the DS and had some success. To summarize what I have:
    • I can change most text in the game. However the strings are confined to the same size as the original Japanese one.
    • I've found the character texts. Apparently, menu and some other text are images.
    • I've figured out some of the format in the character text files.
    And this is an image, where I changed the original "???"(Clau, shorthand for Claudio) to Claudi(so as to maintain string size):
    [​IMG]

Now for the technical stuff. This is a .zip file with some information I've gathered and an application which I've written in Python and PyGTK.

If you try importing the file SC0.DK4(available after unpacking in data/data), you'll notice that a python exception is thrown. An SJIS to UTF-8 conversion wasn't possible. If a certain byte is equal to 00h, I suppose the following data is an SJIS text. Doesn't work everytime.

And, finally, this is my request for hackers alike. What am I missing about this file? Or, what is the best approach to figure out this stuff?

DarkDante likes this.
  2. rockyspirit
    OP

rockyspirit Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2010
    Brazil
    Noone answered my request but no reason to fret. I've found (part of) the answer myself.
    I can now read and rebuild the text files. I don't expect any text to be missing, but who knows?

First, the updated informational file is this. I wonder if anyone cares to read that?
    Next, the tool for translating and an initial translation. (Edit: the tool had a missing file and bug. Fixed that.)

Steps to test:
    • Install Python, GTK+, PyGTK and LXML. If you use Linux(like myself), you won't have much trouble. Sorry, I haven't tested on Windows or MacOSX but do tell me if you do.
    • Unzip the tool and translation. Unpack the rom somewhere.
    • Run the tool(the main.py file). In the tool, load the translation file(sc0.uc4).
    • Export the file(File->Export File) to //data/SC0.DK4 and Repack
    • Run wherever you like. Tested on both Desmume and real hardware with M3DS Real flashcart.
    • Start the game as Rafael Castrol. You should be fine if you don't touch the D-Pad.
    The game will skip the text after 2 English sentences and that is what I need to investigate. The game loads the modified file fine but there seems to be something else to guarantee the text has the same size.

Edit: Scratch that. It seems it was an issue with alignment in the file.

And as for some images(The names are not in the same file):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand
    can anyone help? is a good game.

4. metastase

metastase Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2013
    United States
    OMG this is the only DS game I wish was translated. If this was a new release on another console I would buy whatever that is just for this game alone without thinking twice.

Sorry I can't offer any help but I wish you all the luck in world because games like this really deserve it.

DarkDante likes this.
  5. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand
    Really difficult to get it right? I hope something can be done. I really want to try it.

6. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    sigh, i wish people would post if they quit translating something. dont just stop posting altogether and let people wonder in vain.

DarkDante likes this.
  7. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand
    :sad:

8. DarkDante

DarkDante GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Japan
    DarkLand