Hacking Dad without a clue

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aaaand more questions. Sorry, guys. But I thought I might as well ask all my questions now, now that I am on a roll.

If I order a Gateway 3DS, I don't need anything else besides a MicroSD card and a Micro SD reader, right?
I look at the firmware files for Gateway 3DS, and I see something about an R4i and Supercard DSTwo, and I also read something about a DSi... Can you guys confirm that I don't need either of those two flashcards nor a DSi?

Gateway comes with an r4i clone (blue gateway). You use that to install the exploit, that's what those files are for.

Reactions: Nurio

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You also need a regular SD card reader, to copy the Gateway firmware to your 3DS SD card. You know, the one it came with.

Tokopimv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can buy UK games on a Dutch/Belgian 3DS? I didn't know that. Can you also play UK retail carts?
Well, in this case, it doesn't really matter... I already bought the Dutch version for support.

Yeah, I heard about the Kingston thing. So I already steered clear of that one. Good to know any class is pretty much fine.
Is anyone here familiar with the Transcend brand? Anyone have any problems with that?
EDIT: And what about Verbatim?

Can't you just change your system language to English? It works with most text in the games that i own, although i'm not sure about voices. But it would be a lot easier for Nintendo to just include all voices, since there's enough space on the carts anyways.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
waitwaitwait, what's the problem with kingston??? I bought a 32GB class 10 kingston microsd last week to use with the gateway!

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You also need a regular SD card reader, to copy the Gateway firmware to your 3DS SD card. You know, the one it came with.
Right! Luckily, an SD card reader is not all too hard to come by.

Can't you just change your system language to English? It works with most text in the games that i own, although i'm not sure about voices. But it would be a lot easier for Nintendo to just include all voices, since there's enough space on the carts anyways.
It's Dutch and Dutch only. It's sadly not like Pokémon, where you can choose a language. (Though Dutch was missing from the options.)
My system language is already on English. For a lot of things that's not real life, so to say, I prefer English over Dutch.

waitwaitwait, what's the problem with kingston??? I bought a 32GB class 10 kingston microsd last week to use with the gateway!
If your Kingston works, it works and that's great. But from what I heard Kingstons have the highest tendency/chance of not working.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tell them that if they accept that thing, the console stops working! they will be veeery careful with it!

If your Kingston works, it works and that's great. But from what I heard Kingstons have the highest tendency/chance of not working.

I don't know, I don't have the gateway yet...

bob115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since others are asking questions and the thread is already hijacked lol

I just bought a LE 3ds off of ebay. It came with v3 something. I also just bought a game that needs v6. I don't want to update past 4.5 because I'll probably get a gateway down the line and I'm not exactly optimistic about v6 getting cracked any time soon. I found out that gateway has an emunand thing that you can keep the hardware nand at 4.5 but emulate newer nands off the SD card. Do I need a gateway card to use that? Because I don't really have the money for one and probably wont for a few months, and at the same time I actually want to use my new console and play the game I bought.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well since others are asking questions and the thread is already hijacked lol

I just bought a LE 3ds off of ebay. It came with v3 something. I also just bought a game that needs v6. I don't want to update past 4.5 because I'll probably get a gateway down the line and I'm not exactly optimistic about v6 getting cracked any time soon. I found out that gateway has an emunand thing that you can keep the hardware nand at 4.5 but emulate newer nands off the SD card. Do I need a gateway card to use that? Because I don't really have the money for one and probably wont for a few months, and at the same time I actually want to use my new console and play the game I bought.

I'm assuming that you don't need the Gateway for this. You will need a DS mode flash card, though, and a game that comes with a firmware between 4.1 and 4.5. You'll want to update to that, then use the DS mode flash card to prepare/"install" the DS profile exploit Gateway is using, and then copy their Launcher.dat to your 3DS SD card. This will allow you to boot into Gateway mode, and, therefore, use the EmuNAND feature once v2.0 is available.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaand more questions. Sorry, guys. But I thought I might as well ask all my questions now, now that I am on a roll.

If I order a Gateway 3DS, I don't need anything else besides a MicroSD card and a Micro SD reader, right?
I look at the firmware files for Gateway 3DS, and I see something about an R4i and Supercard DSTwo, and I also read something about a DSi... Can you guys confirm that I don't need either of those two flashcards nor a DSi?

From what I gather, maybe wait for someone who has one, you don't need anything else other than a microSD and a reader to put files onto said microSD. As long as you get the gateway that comes with a red cart and a blue cart. One of which is actually a R4 clone, the other is the 3DS flashcart.

I have read that having 2 microSD cards is ideal, since both red and blue carts need one. Saves you the hassle of putting files on the microSD for one step then having to format and set it up again for another step.

Hope I don't lead you astray. This is what I gathered while reading up on it.

Edit: well damn I honestly didn't see this was answered way back:(

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I gather, maybe wait for someone who has one, you don't need anything else other than a microSD and a reader to put files onto said microSD. As long as you get the gateway that comes with a red cart and a blue cart. One of which is actually a R4 clone, the other is the 3DS flashcart.

I have read that having 2 microSD cards is ideal, since both red and blue carts need one. Saves you the hassle of putting files on the microSD for one step then having to format and set it up again for another step.

Hope I don't lead you astray. This is what I gathered while reading up on it.

Edit: well damn I honestly didn't see this was answered way back:(
Well, telling me to get 2 Micro SD cards was very good advice! I need to use the blue card every time I want to boot into Gateway mode, right?

brunno159

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, telling me to get 2 Micro SD cards was very good advice! I need to use the blue card every time I want to boot into Gateway mode, right?
Nope. You just install the exploit with the blue card, and you just need to install it again if you enter on DS mode. If you're only playing 3ds mode afterwards then you're ok!

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh, very cool! So, that leaves two more questions...
How do I know when I am in Gateway mode? Is there an icon or any other notification?
How do I get into Gateway mode after initial installation? Is it still activated by going to the DS Profile Settings?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, very cool! So, that leaves two more questions...
How do I know when I am in Gateway mode? Is there an icon or any other notification?

There is nothing to let you know you are in Gateway mode. You are in Gateway mode from the time you run the profile exploit, until you power cycle the console.

How do I get into Gateway mode after initial installation? Is it still activated by going to the DS Profile Settings?

Yep. DS profile settings activates Gateway mode.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm assuming that you don't need the Gateway for this. You will need a DS mode flash card, though, and a game that comes with a firmware between 4.1 and 4.5. You'll want to update to that, then use the DS mode flash card to prepare/"install" the DS profile exploit Gateway is using, and then copy their Launcher.dat to your 3DS SD card. This will allow you to boot into Gateway mode, and, therefore, use the EmuNAND feature once v2.0 is available.
They ARE a company though. They'll do everything in their power to make the GW card required to use emuNAND. (and you'll probably need it to create the initial NAND backup at least)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: more of a platinum guy myself personally