DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Had a Wii on launch day, but only 2 months after having it in my posession, it was stolen. About 4 weeks ago I was lucky enough to find one to pick up at my local ToysRus. Now this week it's been sent off to the modders to have the D2Pro modchip installed, should have it back in just under 2 weeks. I've got about 20 ISOs downloaded and am really looking forward to play these games. This is my first "true" modded system (not including firmware hacks of PSP and Flash Cart on DS)... just have a few questions to ensure I don't mess things up.

- if a system update from Nintendo comes... I should skip it right?
- can I still play with no issues on Nintendo WFC?
- can I still purchase and play wiiware and virtual console games?
- with upgrading the firmware of the D2Pro, will i need to reopen the console to get direct access to the mod chip, or do I use the external USB ports? And is it that important to upgrade the modchip's firmware (with exception of game compatability issues)?

anything else i should know?

thanks.

DYE_Slayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should:

-Skip updates if the game prompts you (only if the game is a different region then the console). If you did not put in any game yet and it prompts you to update then yes you should update it.

-not sure. Maybe.

-Not sure what you are taling about :/

- most modchips have you burn a dvd and insert it into the wii. I can't say the same for D2Pro, though. I have never use that.

Daimao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DjFIL said:
Had a Wii on launch day, but only 2 months after having it in my posession, it was stolen. About 4 weeks ago I was lucky enough to find one to pick up at my local ToysRus. Now this week it's been sent off to the modders to have the D2Pro modchip installed, should have it back in just under 2 weeks. I've got about 20 ISOs downloaded and am really looking forward to play these games. This is my first "true" modded system (not including firmware hacks of PSP and Flash Cart on DS)... just have a few questions to ensure I don't mess things up.

- if a system update from Nintendo comes... I should skip it right?
- can I still play with no issues on Nintendo WFC?
- can I still purchase and play wiiware and virtual console games?
- with upgrading the firmware of the D2Pro, will i need to reopen the console to get direct access to the mod chip, or do I use the external USB ports? And is it that important to upgrade the modchip's firmware (with exception of game compatability issues)?

anything else i should know?

thanks.

1.For now,all online updates are safe.Game updates have to be the same region as your wii so check that first.

2.For now yes

3.Yes

4.Fully updateable via external USB programmer so you don't have to open it.Only for bugs/compatibility.Just check what the update does.

DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
thank you for the respones. i was mostly scared about if i did a system update (and i'll ensure not to do any from PAL/NTSC-J games). i hope that's right about firmware updates, when reading on the site it almost sounded like i'd get an extra chip that has a usb port (to pc) and a ribbon connector (to mod chip on wii) for reprorgaming, and sounded like i'd need to reopen it to get access to the mod chip. thanks again... can't wait for it's return.

Daimao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oops,just read something on the site

Q: What is d2prog?

A: d2prog is a tool for updating Actel A3P-family chips such as D2Pro and D2CKey.

Q: How does it work?

A: A flat cable connects the chip to the programmer (if supported), and a mini-USB connects the programmer to your computer. If the chip does not have a flat cable connection, soldered connections can be made to the jtag connectors on the chip. Software is then run on your computer to update the chip.

Q: Are the cables included?

A: Only the mini-USB cable is included. Most updateable mod-chips include a flat cable.

Q: What operating systems will the software work on?

A: The software will work on most popular operating systems including a vareity of Linux distributions and MacOS X (10.4 and higher).

so yeah,you'll have to open it once

Mycow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey there!
I had most doubts DJFIL posted here and your answers helped a lot! However, there's still one doubt in my mind:
My Wii isn't modded yet, I'll mod it with d2pro and d2prog together. Every update I'll have to open the wii or it is only needed to open once to install the programmer d2prog?
If you answer that I don't need to open it everytime it means that there is an external USB, right? So does anyone have pictures of it? Just curious to see what it looks like.

Thanks in advance!
And sorry if the post is confusing!

Daimao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
there aren't any pics yet,just watch their site
it's possible to make it external so you don't have to open your wii everytime

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Redsquirrel said:
If the modders are decent, they will include the update cable already pre installed. thats what i do anyway.

Yea, I do not understand why some do not include the ribbon cable. with the Argon I found that I was being asked to purchase the ribbon cable seperately.

The D2Pro comes with the ribbon cable for free so make sure the installer gives you one. Would be great if the team could make it dvd upgradable (user friendly)

bnaley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where do you get the ribbon cable? Mine never came with one. Also I'm about to get my D2Pro installed and I want to know what I need to burn SSBB and if I need anything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I'm not supporting Coke right now, as Africa is supporting russia with troops :creep: